Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Circus Church in St. Louis

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Circus Church in St. Louis

Saints, if this is not enough to make us want to cry out to God for Christ-centered revival I don't know what is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B_N7nudHWU

2012/10/22 16:58Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re: Circus Church in St. Louis

Well, isn't this just an interesting little video? Makes me laugh a little bit and ask myself what exactly is going on here. At first glance it reminds one of a mainstream church trying to do something unorthodox in order to get people in. I am not going to quite say this is apostate though one could easily say it from the video. The judgment comes from what this thing has done to the hearts of those who attended the church/conference whatever it happens to be.

It sort of reminds me of the band No Longer Music. They take the gospel to people around the world through music by using unorthodox techniques and they also do follow up bible studies. I think this all goes by who you are trying to reach and what it will do to the hearts of men. If the gospel isn't preached then the whole thing is nothing but garbage.

2012/10/22 19:44Profile

Re:

This appears to be a conference, and not a church. Still goofy though.

2012/10/22 19:58
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

EverestoSama, yes, I knew it was some kind of conference but it was put on by this church in St.Louis. If you look at some of their other videos you'll see it operates like a circus even though it doesn't normally do the elephants, clowns, etc. This is what many churches in America and the west have come to be, nothing but circuses; places of entertainment where multitudes are numbed with warm fuzzy messages. It is a sign of the great apostasy we are living in today.

2012/10/23 0:31Profile
sdidde

Milpitas, CA, USA

Re: Circus Church

People who resort to such 'unorthodox' methods to attract people to be saved, have no idea of the power of God or the ways of God. They may be well meaning to "help" God accomplish His purpose, but they have missed the point altogether.
Do they know the power with which John the Baptist preached in the wilderness? John did not have a palace to accommodate the crowds. He did not have nice pews, nor did he have food to feed them. And yet we see a great awakening by a man who was filled with the Spirit of God.

Matt 11:7-9 And as they departed, Jesus began to say unto the multitudes concerning John, What went ye out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken with the wind?
But what went ye out for to see? A man clothed in soft raiment? behold, they that wear soft [clothing] are in kings' houses.
But what went ye out for to see? A prophet? yea, I say unto you, and more than a prophet.

2012/10/23 3:33Profile

Re:

It's bad enough that this type of foolishness takes place in a church these days... but even worse is the fact that the entertainment itself (including music) is cheesy, low-quality knock-offs. It's not even good entertainment. Often times it is painful to watch... but it's like a car accident... you just have to look it even tho you dont want to.

Krispy

2012/10/23 9:07
Sree

Re:

I have not seen this video nor am I interested to see. Based on these comments I have an idea of what might be happening here.

My point is, in threads on worldly music people mentioned that what is entertainment to one may not be the same to other. May be this Church is trying to entertain certain sect of people in which you do not belong to. Why can't we accept this form of entertainment? If the same logic for worldly music is applied here then this Church is doing right thing. If worldly music is allowed in Church because we want to please every ear then why not please every eye by making such shows? I am never against any kind of music but I stress the purpose of music, it should be to please God and not to entertain men.

My point against such practices is, a Church is a place to worship God and praise him. God is the king here and not people. Hence if we start thinking of what pleases men and start making provisions for them then this is how we will degrade ourself. I am sure this Church would have started by first introducing some worldly music to entertain people and gradually they slid to a level of full time entertainment.

2012/10/23 11:29Profile
tbsounde2

Los Angeles, CA

A time will come when instead of shepherds feeding the sheep, the church will have clowns entertaining the goats.
C.H. Spurgeon

2012/10/23 11:35Profile

Re:

While I love all styles of music, there are some styles of music that are simply not suitable for a worship service. Some music is for enjoyment (and there is nothing sinful with that), some music creates a romantic mood (and there is nothing wrong with that... between a married couple)... and some music is more suitable to a worship music.

Likewise there is nothing wrong with a circus. I enjoy taking my kids to a good circus. God has given us life and life more abundantly, and He expects us to enjoy it. There is nothing wrong with some forms of entertainment as long as it is not sinful or causes us to sin. But that does not mean those forms of entertainment are suitable for a worship service.

What IS the purpose of the worship service? To worship God. How do we worship God? Thru the preaching of the Word, singing songs hymns and spiritual songs, fellowshipping one with another, interceding in prayer for one another. Nothing in there about entertaining the masses to keep them coming.

I think when we use gimmicks to attract people to Christ we are in essence saying "Christ is not sufficient enough". We also are saying that the Holy Spirit is not powerful enough to do the job that the Bible says He came to do... which is to draw people unto God. If WE draw people to God using gimmicks then what we end up with is what we have now in the church: false converts.

They were never convicted of their sins... never truly repented... because they were entertained and shown that Christianity is "cool". Come join our subculture! ...but they never joined the family of God.

How are men won to Christ? Very simple... Romans 10:14-17 "How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone PREACHING? And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!” But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed what he has heard from us?” So faith comes from HEARING, and hearing through the word of Christ."

So yes, I do have an issue with a church service being turned into a circus with the idea that we'll attract people to Christ or to church. Why do I have an issue with that? Because the Word of God has an issue with that.

If someone wants to go to the circus then by all means go to the circus. Live it up... enjoy it! But dont bring it into the church. Want to enjoy a good Christian concert? Go... live it up... have a great time in that environment... but that style may not be suitable for Sunday morning worship.

Again... nothing wrong with the style or with entertainment (unless thats ALL you do). But not everything is suitable for worship. A great example of this is in the OT in regards to the temple. Most things that were permissable by God outside the temple in real life were forbidden in the temple.

By the way, I understand this video may be from something other than a church worship service. Even so, there are PLENTY of examples of church worship services being turned into a circus.

Krispy

2012/10/23 11:50
tbsounde2

Los Angeles, CA

you should check out their statement of faith...
http://faithchurchstlouis.com/about/

2012/10/23 12:12Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy