SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Sinner's Prayer...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
stevet83

Sinner's Prayer...

Can someone please show me the "sinner's prayer" in the Bible. I thought the purpose of the reformation was to stick with Scripture? Why do we still promote this tradition?

Please, if you know you can't be objective with this topic then pass.

2012/10/22 16:03Profile
jimp

Re: Sinner's Prayer...

hi, for whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.jimp

2012/10/22 16:10Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re: Sinner's Prayer...

Romans 10:9-10 is a favorite verse that is twisted by those who promote that ritual.

This is a video that deals with the real meaning of that scripture...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s19TU7F6QfI

2012/10/22 17:45Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

"God be merciful to me a sinner."

Lk 18:13

2012/10/22 17:46Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Nowhere in the Bible will we find any example of a "repeat this prayer after me" kind of prayer.

Every God-honoring prayer recorded in God's Word is seen as coming from the heart of the person/s praying, without any repeating of any words after someone else.

2012/10/22 17:56Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, this place sometimes drives me crazy...no place in the bible will you find a repeat after me. and Jesus said "when you pray, say Our Father etc." the sinners prayer has been used to lead millions and millions of people to Jesus.do you think Jesus rejected these peoples plea as they recognized the grace provided by His death on the cross?He said that He came not to condemn the world but to save it.Jesus put the cookies on the bottom shelf so that even a child could be saved.those who come to Jesus ,He will not cast out. i am glad you are not the Lord so i would have to follow your formula.i have seen thousands saved in my life time and i weep every time one gets saved and cannot understand the hardness of hearts here.jimp

2012/10/22 18:51Profile
hulsey

Missouri

Re:

Jimp is right. I used to be this way. I saw the flaw in the form and failed to see the heart of the matter. I went on a crusade against altar calls and sinner's prayers...etc. but I didn't know what spirit I was in. When I became honest with myself, I realized that I was only trying to replace what I saw as flawed with yet another form!

I understand the frustrations with the 'church-in-a-box' approach. But what is accomplished by proving my point on an internet forum? or even winning an argument with a brother who disagrees with me about this?

Serve the Lord in Spirit and in Truth and love the brethren, even the messed up and weak ones...Our love for them will be more effective than our correctness will be.

2012/10/22 19:27Profile
stevet83

Re:

Let me be specific... After the Gospel is preached, the preacher will usually ask if anyone wants to be saved. Those who do will repeat the sinner's prayer, at which point the preacher will usually tell everyone to rejoice because all these people got saved... Are all those people who sayed the prayer saved?

2012/10/22 19:59Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

jimp wrote:

"Jesus put the cookies on the bottom shelf so that even a child could be saved"

I love this-- might have to copy it some time!

Steve--

to your question, i would say they are saved if they were truly seeking to be saved, and not just doing it because everyone else was, out out of some other motive.

Think about it- if a person is being convicted by the HS during a message, or whatever, they may need some guidance as to what to do. The Phillipian jailer asked Paul and Silas what he had to do to be saved-- and they told him simply to believe on the Lord Jesus.

All that being said, a true convert will begin to evidence fruit. I think your concern is that having a person say a sinner's prayer may produce false converts and this is true. It is the Church's responsibility to follow up with and disciple these people. I believe there is a lot of failure by the Church to do this. But it is not necessarily the fault of a "sinner's prayer." This is because a person has to start somewhere.

To be honest, in the NT at least, it seems that baptism was a huge if not essential part of the "formula." I am not saying that baptism is required for salvation, but in the NT converts were baptized so soon that they really were intertwined.

I, and untold thousands, have entered salvation by saying some version of a sinner's prayer. I do not think that everyone who says a sinner's prayer is saved, but nor would I say that no one who says one is saved.

2012/10/22 20:19Profile
jimp

Re:

steve, are you a whosoever?whosoever that calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved. what shall i do to be saved ? believe on Jesus Christ and thou shall be saved. you tell me. this is where almost everyone drops the ball. so now you have a baby and we ususally send them on their way to live or die, to fail or to succeed... you wouldnot do that to a baby... the great commision says to make disciples of these believers... they need baby sitters who can lead them step by step. they need a bible and someone trained to guide them and answer their questions.personnal follow up from the start is what we do.jimp

2012/10/22 20:28Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy