SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Can an Evangelical Christian Vote for a Mormon? by Franklin Graham

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread

Can an Evangelical Christian Vote for a Mormon? by Franklin Graham

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/politics/2011/December/Exclusive-Franklin-Graham-on-Voting-for-a-Mormon/

As Newt Gingrich makes gains in the polls, GOP candidate Mitt Romney is speaking more about his faith and the role religion has played in his life.

Speaking Friday in Sioux City, Iowa, Romney said there needs to be more discussion of religion in the public square.

Romney is a practicing Mormon and even shared with voters his experience as a young missionary in France.

But many evangelical Christians have reservations about Romney's beliefs. In a recent poll, 41 percent of evangelical voters said they would not vote for a Mormon.

Should Mormonism be a deal breaker for Christian voters?

Rev. Franklin Graham spoke with CBN News Sr. Reporter George Thomas about this. Graham also talked about God's judgment on America, how the country is off-course, and the need for a "new kind of politician."

Click play to watch. Read the transcript below:

Thomas: The Washington Republican establishment appears that they are gunning for Mitt Romney. Can a Christian vote for a Mormon as president?

Graham: Yes, the fact that Mitt Romney is a Mormon doesn’t bother me. I think when we are voting for president we need to get the person who is absolutely the most qualified. You can have the nicest guy and he can be a Christian and just wonderful but have absolutely no clue as to how to run a country, you don’t want that. You want somebody who understands Washington, who understands government, who understands how to bring people together so that we can move this country forward. Mitt Romney is a very capable fellow, I know him; I know Newt Gingrich, another very capable person; Michelle Bachman, a very capable lady; Rick Santorum, I like a lot, very gifted guy, a very sharp and so there are some good candidates out there.

Thomas: How would you encourage Christians in the United States to pray for the upcoming elections?

Graham: Well, we need to pray that God would give the right man or right woman to lead this country. I believe we are, that this is probably the most critical election in my lifetime.

Thomas: Why?

Graham: Because our country is heading on the wrong course and we are going the wrong direction. There are millions and millions of people out there that are out of work and there are people out there now that have been out of work so long they are not even looking for work because they are so discouraged. People have lost their homes, they’ve lost their livelihoods and the politics in Washington right now is not helping. We are not solving these problems and this is from the president right on down through Congress.

Thomas: How do we pray then, how do we pray specifically?

Graham: We pray that God would, and this could be God’s judgment and He could be judging this country for the rejection of His Son and our government, our government leaders have turned their back on God and His laws and His statutes and we need to pray that God would give us a new crop of politicians, I don’t care if they are republicans or democrats, but who fear God and who will put God’s standards above everything else and who will take us back to the God of our fathers and that’s what we need to pray but right now our country is going in the wrong direction we need to make a change.

Stay with CBNNews.com, Tuesday, for part two of Franklin Graham's interview with George Thomas.

Graham discussess his views on Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood, the resurgence of political Islam and what the United States should be doing to protect minority Christians in the Middle East.

Originally aired on Friday, Dec.16.

2012/10/11 18:43
InLove

Re: Can an Evangelical Christian Vote for a Mormon? by Franklin Graham

This bothers me because first he says that, " I think when we are voting for president we need to get the person who is absolutely the most qualified", but then goes on to say that. "our government leaders have turned their back on God and His laws and His statutes and we need to pray that God would give us a new crop of politicians, I don’t care if they are republicans or democrats, but who fear God and who will put God’s standards above everything else and who will take us back to the God of our fathers and that’s what we need to pray but right now our country is going in the wrong direction we need to make a change." Which is it? Sure someone can be both, but most won't be.

The problem is, I believe that no true Christians are in these positions and I pray that if one does stand up, us as a Christian people would stand together and put him in office. I don't care if he is the best qualified by this world's standard! David was qualified by God and that's the type of person we need desperately.

2012/10/11 19:06Profile

Re: Can an Evangelical Christian Vote for a Mormon? by Franklin Graham

Yes, an evangelical Christian can vote for a Mormon and be quite comfortable with it. But then.the average evangelical, Christian has compromised his faith with the world. And feels no grief over his sin.

Now can one who denies himself, takes up his cross daily and follows Jesus Christ vote for a Mormon? My answer would be no. Because one who follows Christ in this fashion realizes his citizenship is in heaven. Such a person has crucified himself to the world and is cleaving as unto Christ.

Such a disciple will not grieve his Lord by voting for a cultist controlled by an antichrist spirit.

Bearmaster.

2012/10/11 19:10
InLove

Re:

Are we to vote then? I believe we should vote even if it is a non-Christian. I don't want the one whose in to stay in, but I don't want the one that's running in, but I have to choose.

2012/10/11 19:14Profile

Re: InLove

Why do you feel the need to vote? Why do you feel the need to choose? Where is this found in tbe New Testament? You are a citizen if heaven. You are an ambassador of Christ. An ambassador does not get involved in the affairs of the nation he is stationed in. An ambassador represents the interest of his home nation. You represent the interest of Jesus Christ. Your mandate from the King is to preach the gospel and make disciples. Not vote in ungodly elections.

Bearmaster.

2012/10/11 19:29
InLove

Re:

Bear,

I won't post anymore about this because I believe it will not profit anyone. I'm not mad or anything like that, but we just see it differently and I'm ok with that. I want to say this thought, I want God to effect everyone and I'm sure you do as well, but I want to get involved with as much of the world as I can. I mean, to be holy, righteous, justified, all by Christ, and in the world to be that light upon a hill. I know this though, the Spirit of God is in me and I'm surrendered to His will! He is leading me down His paths and I'm trying to follow as clearly as I can and if He shows me to do something or not do it I pray I do those things.

Blessings!

2012/10/11 19:36Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Bearmaster,

As I have pointed out previously, there are many sincere believers here who will vote. You shouldn't make suggestions or insinuations about our spiritual conditions.

Please season your posts with the grace to at least acknowledge that many believers do not share your opinion. Please refrain from suggesting that we have compromised our faith, feel no grief over sin...or that we don't preach the Gospel and make disciples...or haven't been crucified with Christ or retained our citizenship in Heaven.

Do you understand how your opinion can come across as condescending when it includes such insinuations or assumptions?

There are many sincere believers who meet with Christ daily in intimate prayer, worship and study of God's Word who might still feel a need or liberty to vote for one candidate over another in the election.

We may not agree on something like this. However, we should not conclude (especially in public) the worst of those with whom we may disagree on these (or other non-essential) matters.

We should encourage others to pray about it all...before they vote...and let the Holy Spirit lead and guide others in all such matters.

2012/10/11 19:44Profile

Re:

Chris if you chose to participate in the election then that is your perogative. But seeing that these two candidates are controlled by an antichtmrist spirit I will raise my voice and cry an alarm. I will encourage those who will listen to flee Babylon.

But brother are you aware of tbe urgency of the hour?. Chris do you see tbe reality of the world around you? Are you not aware of the coming storm of persecution? Does it not cross your mind that either one of these candidates will accelerate that persecution? Are you not aware of the deception of tbe evil one.

Chris you seem to think that this is a matter of political opinion taking place in an academic environment. Chris this is a matter of spiritual warfare and demonic forces. These forces are real. I say again these are demonic forces at work and they are real.

Satan is weaving a deceptive web over evangelicals and they are falling for it hook, line, and sinker. Some even prepared to call Mormons brethren in Christ. And that is wrong.

As long as I have breath I will cry alarm. Though my voice will fall on deaf ears I will cry aloud for God's people to not participate in an election where two candidates controlled by demonic spirits vie for tbe highest office in tbe land. The answer is simple. Flee Babylon and cleave unto Jesus.

Bearmaster.

2012/10/11 20:23
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Quote:

Chris if you chose to participate in the election then that is your perogative. But seeing that these two candidates are controlled by an antichtmrist spirit I will raise my voice and cry an alarm. I will encourage those who will listen to flee Babylon.

I encourage you to join me as we all flee Babylon. However, this includes the SPEECH and LANGUAGE of Babylon -- including the insinuations, assumptions and condescending remarks that are reminiscent of the children of Babylon.

Quote:

But brother are you aware of tbe urgency of the hour?

Of course. I mention this in many of my posts, yet you continue to ask.

Quote:

Chris do you see tbe reality of the world around you?

Of course.

Quote:

Are you not aware of the coming storm of persecution?

Again, I have voiced as much in many of my posts. Why do you ask a question that should be obvious by the content of my posts on the subject? It is as if the question itself -- and each question like it -- is an insinuation.

Quote:

Does it not cross your mind that either one of these candidates will accelerate that persecution?

One of these candidates already has.

Quote:

Are you not aware of the deception of tbe evil one.

Again, this is a ridiculous question. How would you appreciate it if I asked you these same questions in many threads on this and other topics? Would you feel like the question itself is assuming the worst in you?

But, in answer to your question, YES. Yes, I am aware that Satan is a master of deception and the father of lies.

Quote:

Chris you seem to think that this is a matter of political opinion taking place in an academic environment.

No, I don't.

Quote:

Chris this is a matter of spiritual warfare and demonic forces.

The same is true of EVERYTHING in life -- including work, paying taxes, educating your children, etc... There is a spiritual war going on...but that doesn't mean that I get out of taxes or can sit around on SermonIndex collecting a government check (or living off of other believers) instead of getting up and working for my wife and family.

Quote:

These forces are real. I say again these are demonic forces at work and they are real.

You don't have to tell me. I know that such things are real. I have seen things that I don't post here; however, please understand that I -- like all believers -- know such things are real.

Quote:

Satan is weaving a deceptive web over evangelicals and they are falling for it hook, line, and sinker.

He has been doing this for thousands of years. Thankfully, through much intimate prayer and study of God's Word, I will not fall for his devices.

Quote:

Some even prepared to call Mormons brethren in Christ. And that is wrong.

No one ever said differently. In fact, many of us have stated this same thing repeatedly. Yet, many of us feel that we can vote for Mitt Romney despite his religious views.

Quote:

As long as I have breath I will cry alarm.

There is a difference between "crying" an "alarm" and insinuating that those who disagree with your opinion are guilty of the types of things that you insinuate. It would be helpful if you could make a distinction.

Quote:

Though my voice will fall on deaf ears I will cry aloud for God's people to not participate in an election where two candidates controlled by demonic spirits vie for tbe highest office in tbe land.

Oh, believe me, we aren't "deaf." We hear you do this over and over again. However, it doesn't mean that we necessarily will agree with your opinions or that you are right. It also doesn't give you a right to insinuate or suggest the worst of those with whom you disagree.

Quote:

The answer is simple. Flee Babylon and cleave unto Jesus.

Amen! It would help if you understood that we ARE fleeing Babylon. It would also help if others didn't try to insinuate that those with whom they disagree are refusing to do so.

Chris

2012/10/11 20:55Profile
rainydaygirl

Re:

by bearmaster on 2012/10/11 16:10:39

Yes, an evangelical Christian can vote for a Mormon and be quite comfortable with it. But then.the average evangelical, Christian has compromised his faith with the world. And feels no grief over his sin.

Now can one who denies himself, takes up his cross daily and follows Jesus Christ vote for a Mormon? My answer would be no. Because one who follows Christ in this fashion realizes his citizenship is in heaven. Such a person has crucified himself to the world and is cleaving as unto Christ.

Such a disciple will not grieve his Lord by voting for a cultist controlled by an antichrist spirit.

Bearmaster.

---

bear, i don't vote because i follow the conviction of my heart but none of us has the right to say these kinds of things to another brother/sister in Christ because they are following their conscious before Christ and voting. You have said these kinds of things before and brother it just is not demonstrating the love of Christ to imply that other believers are less devoted to God or not grieved over their sin because they vote. You are judging the hearts of others based on your conviction and that is not right. How do you know that those who vote do not grieve over their sin? Has God given you a special word of knowledge, has He reveled the heart of another for you to see into? Please i ask you to consider, reread what you wrote here and think about what you have said, do you really know the heart of every brother and sister in Christ who chooses to vote that you can really stand by this post?

rdg

2012/10/11 21:36Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy