SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons :  X rated Christian music?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread

Re:

Yea, Solomon... there has been a deepening of my relationship with the Lord over the past few months. There have also been some major shifts in my life as well that have helped to put a lot of things in perspective for me. One of the major things the Lord has been teaching me is to say what needs to be said, and then step back and stop trying to be the Holy Spirit for people. If I speak something that is truth then He will deal with people about it, and if I'm not speaking truth then I pray He will deal with ME about it... but the wrangling and the arguing is a waste of time.

This doesnt mean I'm back full time. I'm just dropping in now and then to say hi... stir the pot a little... and slip out. :-)

Krispy

2012/10/9 11:28
Sree

Re:

Here is my take on Christian songs -
We need to check where the focus of a song is, it should be more on lyrics praising God and not on heavy instruments. Most of modern day songs give more importance to attracting tune and instruments, rather than lyrics. What is the use of singing a song in which we are not sure what we sang about? Do you think God will be pleased by it? For example my daughter sings a song thanking me in a language that neither she nor I know, what is the use? It is meaningless to both of us.

It is not about certain music being loud, even if it is loud if it still has a good lyric and you sing with a meaning then God will accept it. The younger generation in Church lacks this discernment to find which songs really meant to praise God and which are composed to attract attention to instruments and tune. Hence it is the elders and mature people in Church who have to take decision on what songs to sing. We cannot just accept every songs and music saying that tastes differ.

Also if one researches on Rock music and the root of it, it comes from Satan worship. How can such music be used in Church?

The problem with such questions like - "whats wrong with this music?" etc, raise because believers lack wisdom to discern the purpose of a song. And they think they have all wisdom to say, "let us sing what pleases to us". But how many are willing to acknowledge their lack of wisdom and follow James 1-5.

James 1-5:-
But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and [h]without reproach, and it will be given to him.

2012/10/9 14:55Profile

Re:

Quote:
Also if one researches on Rock music and the root of it, it comes from Satan worship. How can such music be used in Church?

Yea, actually thats not true at all. Perhaps you read one of those freakish fundamental websites where they cant even get the names of rock singers right... I dont know.

Here are the facts: Rock music has it's roots in Blues music in the American south. Blues formed out of black folk music, slave work songs and gospel singing. The very roots of rock music is actually the black church just before and after the American Civil War.

And of course the music of the slaves was obviously heavily infuenced by the music they brought over from Africa. Every culture has thier own music. We tend to think all music from Africa has to do with witch doctors and all of that. Thats a narrow and ignorant (and racist) point of view. We dont think that way about music from Europe! Or Scotland! Or China! Just from where the black man is from. Thats a deep seated form of racism in America.

Fast forward to the 1930's & 40's, black gospel and blues was actually called "Race Music". Can you imagine it being called that today? In the 1950's the music that Elvis, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins were recording at Sun Studios in Memphis was blues. Old standards, some gospel... but it was blues.

Christians in the south hated them for recording "Race Music", "Jungle Music"... and worse: "Ni--er Music".

Then in the 1960's we had the Civil Rights Movement which changed a lot of American's attitudes toward African-Americans. It took a loooong time, but it did... and rightfully so.

My point is that it's real easy to say that rock music has it's roots in devil worship... but actually, it formed from the Blues... which developed out of old black spirituals and slave chants. It actually came out of the black church!

I am in no way saying that we should all go listen to secular music or anything like that. I am just calling for an honest, informed and intelligent discussion of the matter. Enough of the garbage from some of these "Christian" websites where they cant even get the lyrics right or spell the names of singers correctly.

Truth is what we need.

Krispy

2012/10/10 8:33
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Thanks for the Music History lesson, I believe another great developement of Rock and Roll was when Marty McFly playing Johnny Be good at his parents prom. They just weren't ready for it but it changed history. lol

But seriously there are a lot of people that would rather go with the ignorant history of Rock and roll because it's something that they don't understand and since its something they don't understand it scares them, and fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering...

Again seriously thank you for the input Krispy you have enriched this conversation and enlightened me on many things concerning the subject.

2012/10/10 8:53Profile

Re:

Marty McFly... that made me laugh! Funny...

Krispy

2012/10/10 9:09

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy