SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : John the Baptist- How Did He feel?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
EvangelTam

John the Baptist- How Did He feel?

Have you guys ever wondered how John the Baptist must of felt when he read the bible and realized that he was in it and was "the voice calling out in the desert prepare the way of the Lord?" Its sorta like mindblowing to read a book and realize your part of the story or you were written into it way before you existed 0.o

2012/9/14 22:24Profile
staff

Re: John the Baptist- How Did He feel?

hi evangeltom, john had plenty of time to come to terms with his ministry for he jumped for joy in his mothers womb when he recognised christ.so i would say he continued to be joyful that christ was on earth.yours staff

2012/9/15 15:51Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, what bible do you think he read?the only scrolls were in the hands of the levites at the temple and john was in the wilderness or in jail. very few people in the bible ever saw a bible or scroll. the word they received was from the Lord and personal.faith realy does come from hearing the voice of God and obeying it.jimp

2012/9/15 16:20Profile
proudpapa

Re: jimp

Hi Jimp,

RE: Jimp wrote ///hi, what bible do you think he read?///

Basicaly our Old Testament.

RE: Jimp wrote ///the only scrolls were in the hands of the levites at the temple and john was in the wilderness or in jail.///

Not so, Paul says to timothy "And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus" John the Baptist would have also known the (Holy) scriptures from a child.

Acts ch 8 v 27 ....a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship,
28 Was returning, and sitting in his chariot read Esaias the prophet.

It seems that this Ethiopia eunuch had His very own copy of the Scripture,an Ethiopian in a chariot.

RE: Jimp wrote ///very few people in the bible ever saw a bible or scroll///

Brother I wish that you would show evidence from scripture for such statements.

Luke ch 4 "16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.
17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,"

It appears from this scripture that it was custom in Jesus and Johns day to go to the synagogue and to read personaly and listen personaly to the Scripture, this seems clearly How both Jesus and John would have grown up. Most all the people (Jews) in the Bible would have been raised in this custom, so most all would have personaly saw a bible or a scroll. and probably even personally read the scripture as Did Jesus.

RE: Jimp wrote ///the word they received was from the Lord and personal.faith realy does come from hearing the voice of God and obeying it.jimp///

Sounds good on the surface brother "the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life", I would agree that we need the Spirit to breath Life into the Scripture but that does not negate the importance of the Written Word. When Jesus Christ the true Logos was tempted by the devil, Jesus the Incarnate Word relied on the Written word (Matthew ch 4)

I would strongly encourage everyone to search the nature of scripture from the scripture themselves.

Also another interesting point there are 66 inspired books in our Christian Bible there are 66 chapters in the book of Isaiah, There are 39 books in our old testament the 40th book is Matthew, Go to the 40th chapter of Isaiah v 3 and than go to the 40th book of Matthew ch 3 v 3

40th chapter of Isaiah verse 3
"The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make straight in the desert a highway for our God."

40th book of the Bible ch 3 v 3
"For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight."

2012/9/15 22:53Profile
Jeremy221

Re: :)

I would encourage you to do a little research into the actual cost of making copies of manuscripts in ancient times. It was a custom in the times of Christ that the Bible was read every week at synagogue. There are also exceptions like how John may have had more access and training given that he was raised in a priest's home. And yet is good to remember that all Scripture is God breathed, as in through the Holy Spirit. John the baptist was full of the Holy Spirit from his mother's womb and thus would have access according to the revelation of the Spirit to things that would have taken much tedious study otherwise.

Edit: I do need to add that seeing fulfilled what is written in Scripture or taught you directly by the Holy Spirit can be dumbfounding. I'm sure that there were times that John as a man compared his understanding of God's with that of those around him and wondered why there was so much resistance. The Lord had given him revelation by the voice of the Spirit and yet while he was in prison he sent disciples to ask Jesus whether what he had proclaimed was true. He was a mouth piece for Christ but like it says in 2 Peter, he himself did not fully understand what he was saying. There was doubt and disbelief at what was happening before his eyes, even though he had been faithful to proclaim as he was moved by the Spirit. As it says in Daniel, "Those that know their God will do great exploits." I've wondered about the difference between the doctrinally and theologically versed and those who are not wise or noble and not as exercised in the knowledge of good and evil but who obey the Lord. It's in the obeying that we come to know God because His word becomes written on our hearts as the way and life.

2012/9/16 0:34Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, the group that had the scripture in the times of john were the scribes and pharisees and saducees. the scrolls were available at the temple and they read so much that they missed the messiah in their midst. there was 400 years of silence before john with no word from God writen . that is why he is called the voice crying in the wilderness. i am not denying that scripyure was available but not very easily accessible.the leaders were dead in religion.all of the examples in the faith chapter were of people that heard directive words from God and obeyed. abram was not reading the jewish bible(torah) when he he left ur (there was no torah then). my emphasis ; maybe overstated, is that you must hear from the Holy Spirit for direction and faith.He might use the preaching of the scriptures to move on you,but unless the Holy Spirit shows up very little can be done .sorry if i led some astray.jimp

2012/9/16 2:07Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy