SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Is this legalistic?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
MaryJane

Re:

I suppose it has to do with the way you word something when you say MUST or SHOULD, although I still feel inclined to believe that it wouldn't be out of line or legalistic to say a Christian must be in the Word daily, according to various Scriptures.

I think it does have everything to do with the way a person is shared with. I find when I am sharing with another they respond so much more then if I attempt to "commend" them to do something. I think it a good reminder to encourage and share that the LORD wants to have fellowship with us, wants to know us and spending time in the BIBLE allows us one means of getting to know HIM.

I think the trouble comes in when people with good intentions try to do the work of the Holy Spirit and begin "commending" people and telling them that they "must" read the BIBLE every day. I shared with my son not to long ago about spending time with JESUS and getting to know HIM. I shared with my son that one way he could do that is by reading his BIBLE. I did not make is a law that he must read everyday but I explained how JESUS loved him and wanted to know my son better and wanted my son to know HIM better too. I shared with him that in order to know someone we spend time with them. Instead of making it a law that must be followed I encouraged him to pray and seek GOD and what HIS heart on the matter was. After a few days my son came to me and said he felt convicted by the Holy Spirit that he had been lazy in his relationship with JESUS and that he would appreciate it if I would remind him to set aside some time to be in his word. I did remind him for a couple of days but did not make it an issue. After a few days I stopped reminding him, but he kept on listening to his audio BIBLE everyday anyway. The LORD had shown my son the benefit of being in the WORD and also gave him the desire to be so.

So I do think the way we share with one another can make all the difference.

God Bless
mj

2012/9/14 9:09Profile

Re:

Quote:
I still feel inclined to believe that it wouldn't be out of line or legalistic to say a Christian must be in the Word daily.

Indeed not! (agreed) When the Love of God is present in saying it and your saying it because you love the person, it will be well received. But if it's spoken from a Pharisee or spoken from a person that is condemning you for not reading that bible, through an ungodly fear they will read the bible but feeling condemned at every whipstitch wondering if they have covered every iota of that command and not angering God.

The love route is so much better.

"Son, I encourage you to read your bible. You don't have to if you don't want to, but it's my desire that you do because I love you and want the very best for you to have a successful life with God your Father. So that when you get out on your own and if you ever get into trouble, that you will know how to call upon the name of the Lord for help. This is your decision and I leave it up to you to do."

I am encouraging him to read his bible, offering admonition as to why, but at the same time I am not condemning him, leaving the decision up to himself to decide.

When things like this have been presented to me in this manner, I have always chosen to heed. Love is irresistable.

2012/9/14 9:27
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

I think if your going to tell someone to read their Bible everyday maybe it should go something like this. Mr. Bill someone told me I need to read my Bible everyday, well Bob, I am not going to argue that point, but reading the word of God "wherever it's written" is fruitful and John 4:24 say's God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.This scripture does not say everyday, but it does say those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth, truth of course being the word of God. Well Mr. Bill, thank you so much for putting this in layman's terms for me, so as long as I am reading word of God "wherever it might be written" whenever I can, it seems like this fits what God said in this scripture. Yes Bob! you are correct! and Bob, please remember, "some" Christians will put you under condemnation when you don't do as they do, so please tattoo this scripture in your mind. Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Have a wonderful day Bob.

2012/9/14 11:01Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Approved wrote:
"This is why I personally do not read the bible often because I do not want to know more than I already know now. I can barely make do with what has been given to me already, more will only make things worse. I find the "here a little, there a little" precept to be much more beneficial than to have all knowledge and have no charity to carry out the work."

I find this concept troubling. Really troubling.

Paul tells Timothy to study the WORD. David says 'thy word have I had in my heart.."

A body can get along quite well for a while without serious study in the WORD but gradually you will find yourself in serious trouble because of it. Then how do you deal with it? Justify sin? Many do. Or, do you recognize your sin and come back in sorrow and repentance to the LORD?

I do not see the method in which one studies as being the issue. It is that of being in the WORD allowing it to teach me, guide me.

I have been taught the WORD as far back as I can remember; attended a parochial school where Bible was taught, seriously. Attended VBS, Bible School...heard many sermons and would you know I still find the WORD intellectually stimulating that fills my spirit with awe and praise to our wonderful Creator and Savior.

God's WORD is not to be taken lightly. It is a rich trove of how God dealt with man in the past and his will for us now and the future. We do well to take heed.

2012/9/14 11:03Profile

Re:

Saints we are in an hour of urgency. We believe persrcution will soon come opon the church in America. The persecuted cry for the Bible or a New Testament inrestricted nations. They are willing to risk their lives to own a copy of the scriptures. And we are wondering if it is legalistic to tell someone to read tbeir Bible

Folks let's get real. The devil would like us to stay out of the word. And for every reason God would give us to be in the Bible. The devil will use our flesh to give us reasons to stay out of the Bible. The legalistic excuse being the one to really appeal to our fleshly ature.

Ok. So you may blow me off. But go to the SI archives. Forum I ask you. Will you blow off Keith Daniels, Art Katz, Denny Kenniston, etc. Men and women that God has used mightily have been people of the book. That goes for Bunyon and Spurgeon in times past.

We need to stop lookng for excuses to justify our laziness for not being in the word. And look for any and every excuse to be in the word. For when the Bible is taken out of our hand. Only what is stored in our heart will remain.

Bearmaster.

2012/9/14 13:25
MaryJane

Re:

by bearmaster on 2012/9/14 7:25:15

Saints we are in an hour of urgency. We believe persrcution will soon come opon the church in America. The persecuted cry for the Bible or a New Testament inrestricted nations. They are willing to risk their lives to own a copy of the scriptures. And we are wondering if it is legalistic to tell someone to read tbeir Bible

Folks let's get real. The devil would like us to stay out of the word. And for every reason God would give us to be in the Bible. The devil will use our flesh to give us reasons to stay out of the Bible. The legalistic excuse being the one to really appeal to our fleshly ature.

Ok. So you may blow me off. But go to the SI archives. Forum I ask you. Will you blow off Keith Daniels, Art Katz, Denny Kenniston, etc. Men and women that God has used mightily have been people of the book. That goes for Bunyon and Spurgeon in times past.

We need to stop lookng for excuses to justify our laziness for not being in the word. And look for any and every excuse to be in the word. For when the Bible is taken out of our hand. Only what is stored in our heart will remain.

Bearmaster.

Greetings bear

I don't think anyone was trying to blow you off. I am sorry you feel that way. I think some were just responding to the question asked as they felt led. I don't think it is legalistic to share with someone about being in the BIBLE and using it as a means to know JESUS but I do think how one shares with another can make a huge difference don't you think so?

God bless
maryjane

2012/9/14 13:40Profile
Wonderer

Re: by MaryJane on 2012/9/14 9:40:55

Well said. We do not HAVE to be in the word but we NEED to be in the word. That said, not everyone is geared or gifted to be a scholar. Many will read the scripture for comfort and guidance while others may have the Spirit inspired ability to glean beyond the printed page. It is a gift and it is why people like Tozer are so great; they have the gift and share it. It is Biblical.

Appreciate MaryJane's gentle spirit.

2012/9/14 14:06Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy