SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : The Toronto Blessing!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
endlessjoe

University of Calabar Nigeria

The Toronto Blessing!

2012/9/6 22:51Profile
elias7291

Los Angeles

Re: The Toronto Blessing!

Interesting post brother. The toronto blessing i would say is pretty much opposed by most on here (myself included). So it would be wise not to go into these topics because of the division and arguing that can occur.

here is some info on the toronto blessing:

http://www.gotquestions.org/Toronto-blessing.html

Theres also a message by carter conlon on here rebuking the toronto blessing:

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=2088&commentView=itemComments

2012/9/6 23:21Profile
endlessjoe

Re:

Ok Brother Elias. Wouldnt want to drag the Church into troubled waters arguing on frivolities.

Like I said I know nothing about d "Toronto blessing" but I know there was a breath of "fresh air" that flowed thru d Body in d 90's of which am a product.

I respect Carter Conlon. Not sure I'll ever disagree with him on matters of doctrine. Most of his sermons have blessed my heart. And am deeply grateful for such men who had stood their ground and not
followed d bandwagon of our other 'brothers' who had followed "d way of d plains" (2Sam 18:23)

This thread is never intended to give credence to d "Toronto blessing" but rather a sincere attempt to trace d source of d "blessing" which trickled down to us in d Tropics.

I sincerely apologise for d disagreement this thread might generate and wil be grateful if anyone would help me understand d source of d "blessing" which I and others kids experienced in d 1990's.

2012/9/6 23:39Profile
elias7291

Los Angeles

Re:

Blessings brother,

be of good spirit. i meant no harm and if i did sound like that forgive me. i only posted this because i know that this is a big issue in the body that tends to divide rather than encourage. Brother greg recently posted a thread on the recent divisions that have been occurring here on SI Forums over silly matters that have not been productive and i feel that this is one topic that most definitely will end up in very heated, unproductive discourse.

To try to answer your question i cant because i have no knowledge but i will say that God is never left without a testimony and wherever there are two or more in His name He is there and He will quench the thirst of those who believe him.

blessings

2012/9/6 23:56Profile
endlessjoe

Re:

Thanks Brother Elias! Guess I have to remove d Thread in d Spirit of Love.

Why would d Body of Christ suffer because of me?

D challenge now is how to remove or delete d thread.

2012/9/7 0:40Profile

Re:

Dear endlessjoe, perhaps a little context. I encountered Jesus at the age of 27 in 1991. I attended one of the largest pentecostal churches in the heartland, here in Kansas, a church called Full Faith Church of love. Many of the people who founded that church and attended that church came out of the Jesus movement of the 60s and 70s. They had experienced radical life changes and were on fire for Jesus. Every week we saw countless people come to Jesus in radical ways.

The presence of the Lord was mighty and the heart of the people was to see the lost saved. Now, they exercised the gifts and words were allowed to be freely given and tongues were spoken and interpreted. And then came the "Toronto Blessing," about 1994. One of their speakers were invited to come and there was much division in the church over the invitation. In fact it efectivly split the church. I left in 1995 to go home to Scotland for a year to share the gospel and at the time had been part of a home-group within this church. I came back at the beginning of 1996 and could not believe what I saw. A barren spiritual wasteland is as best I could put it.

I went back to my home-group which had been vibrant. It had had a rough format. We would worship the Lord, we would study His word, we would have application and we would finish with prayer. Bringing unsaved folks to these prayer meetings had been a primary focus. Now, upon my return from Scotland, there was no format. A video tape of some Toronto meetings was put on the tv. There, a man who was supposed to preach the word of God, just begin to laugh uncontrolably, and this is what the home-group people ( now different folks) did. A "mocking laugh" that small still voice said to me.

This church is now a shadow of what it once was. Pentecostal churches across the land fell, one by one, to this and other movements of the same kind. There was a mixture of the prosperity gospel, the name it and claim it movement and the health and wealth folks.

A beloved friend and friend to the ministry of SI went to Africa last year and bemoaned that he found that these kinds of doctrines, the doctrines of what God can do for you, had infiltrated much of that particular African country. Another well respected man, traveled far and wide in many African countries and reported what he had seen in regard to the prosperity Gospel. My own cousin who spent six years in Africa reported of how rampant sexual sin was among the " believers." I tell you brother, something was definatly unleashed in the early 90s that I believe choked off so much of what had been achieved around the world as a result of the Welsh revival, the Hebridean revival and Azusa street revival. And here we are today, we have reaped the whirlwind.

I pray brother Joe that the Lord blesses and continues to bless you with the true treasures of heaven, His presence, His joy, His peace, His love, His power. These are the true treasures of the Lord, in fact the Lord Himself is our exceeding great reward............bro Frank

2012/9/7 0:52
SonsofLevi

Richmond, Va. USA

Re:

Endlessjoe,
Brother I would not delete this thread for a second. Regardless of what the realities or lack thereof in Toronto were, what you testified to in the rest of your post I think will serve a purpose. I won't say what it is but just watch! I think you may be a bit surprised.

2012/9/7 0:58Profile
endlessjoe

DISCLAIMER !

D writer regrets the possible controversy this Thread may generate and had decided to delete it.

In d original, it was not an attempt to give credence to d movement "Toronto blessing" but was a modest attempt to find explanations to d Spiritual blessings experience by d writer as a child in d 90's.

This decision to delete the thread was done in good faith after a sincere advice from another wayfaring Pilgrim.

D writer thinks we all should hold ourselves accountable for every action or comment that wil further widing d gulf in d Body.

D writer remembers that Apostle Paul wouldnt eat meat if it would pose a stumbling block to d faith of another Brother.
"Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend." (1 Corinthians 8:13).

Any inconveniences & controversies thus far generated is highly regretted.

Lets continue to pray for Revival !

God's Blessings!

2012/9/7 1:08Profile
endlessjoe

Re:

Ok Bro Sonsof Levi. Guess my story could be a "blessing". Would modify it, remove anything "Toronto" and post it again.

2012/9/7 1:14Profile
endlessjoe

Toronto Blessings: Modified & Reloaded !

I dont kno much about d Toronto phenomena though I once had a book "Toronto Blessings," but can't remember ever finishing a chapter in d book. Know nothing about d leaders involved , their names or their history. This is not their story. Its my story!

I feel there was an opening in d Heavenlies for d Church in d 90's which is rare today.

I gave my life to Christ in 1993 at d age of 10 and I know that I operated at a level in d Spiritual realm completed alien to 10 year olds in my neighbourhood today.

In d early & mid 90's some kids like me were always concerned about their "Spiritual life," a word I've never heard teenagers use at d present time.

It was in d early & mid 90's, that brethren really practiced early mornin "quiet time" in d true sense of d word.

Then D Holy Spirit wil lead one to a scripture durin one's "quiet time" and he'd hear d Pastor preach on that same scripture during a fellowshp meetin later that day.

And if he dares testify to d coincidence after fellowshp, he'd be surprized to see how many persons whom D Spirit took to that same scripture in their quiet time.

This became so regular that some people resorted to it as a means of knowin when any Preacher is 'spiritually alive', since they seem to know what D Spirit has to say per day from their early mornin "quiet time."

These were d observations I made as a child. And I've never heard any teenager use d word "quiet time."

At dat time also,there was an atmosphere of zero tolerance 4 sexual sin in our fellowships.Most tyms when a brother or sister disengages from fellowshp, it is nearly always as a result of sexual sin. But today, someone living in sexual sin is not even afraid to handle our microphone.

At that Time also, d word "backslidding" was used very frequently for those who fell into sin. Then its normal to hear a brother say he didn't come to fellowshp because he's backslidden. Am not sure I've heard anybody use that word in d real sense of it in d last 10years.

As teenagers in High School then, we had Prayer prayer meetings where we sometimes confessed our sins to one another and literally casted out demons.

It was so widespread that d Commisioner for Education in my Abia State went public and announced that High sch students should desist from conductin deliverance sessions for their mates.

Am not sure any Commisioner for Education in Nigeria has had need to make such announcements in d last 10 years, since, obviously High Sch students of nowadays kno nothin of casting out demons.

On zero tolerance for sin, I remember an incident that happened in 1995. I was going on bus evangelism with a couple of other 12yr olds,I hid my bible in my cloth and teased my friends that am not wt any. When they got concerned, I brought it as I laughed at them. Then they asked me to go back home. They wouldnt go to preach with a liar. They wondered what was d difference btwn me and those we were going to preach to.

I still remember two other incidents in 1995 while waitin for my result into Junior High,when I went on bus evangelism with my partner. We always go in two's. I sat on my partner's lap & preachd.

During my sermon,I failed to completely quote John3:16. D passengers in d bus helped me complete d quote so I can continued d sermon. My partner was MAD at me. He's an albino,his face was red hot in anger.He said I put him to shame. On our way back, he sat on my lap & preached an "everlasting message." When we got to our bus stop and alighted,I was so excited that I offered to shake his hands but he warned me.

The next incident was d day I broke d jinx and went on bus evangelism alone. Was taken aback when a lady in d bus challenged me. She asked me to go and read my books & stop waistin my time preaching. Then a soldier in d front seat came to my rescue.He askd her to leave me alone & mind her own business, so I preachd unhindered. D conductor didnt charge me for d fare. When I got down,I was 10 feet off d ground with excitement that I didnt kno when I trekked 3miles back home. Couldnt enter another bus. Felt no bus in d world can contain my joy.

Its with sadness that I say that I've not seen any teenager on bus evangelism in d last 15years.And am sure Unless there's a Revival,non of these wil ever hav my kind of little experience.

So what was it that we had in d 90's that is absent today. I know what we experienced then was not a product of our effort. From d teachngs of Watchman Nee I understand that when a Christian breaks thru into a "blessing",other members of the Body too wil partake of it.

Could what we enjoyed have been a spill over of which movement. Who could have broken thru into d Heavenlies for d "blessings" for which we enjoyed in d Heart of Tropical Africa ?

2012/9/7 1:34Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy