SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Evan Roberts

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
proudpapa

Evan Roberts

I have heard the name but am not at all familiar with him while browsing through the vintage photos I ran across his picture and thess discriptions

Evan Roberts
Description: Evan Roberts was born and raised in a Welsh Calvinist Methodist family in Loughor, on the Glamorgan and Carmarthenshire border. As a boy he was unusually serious and very diligent in his Christian life. He memorised verses of the Bible and was a daily attender of Moriah Chapel, a church about a mile from his home. Even at 13 years of age he began to develop a heart for a visitation from God. He later wrote “I said to myself: I will have the Spirit. And through all weathers and in spite of all difficulties I went to the meetings… for ten or eleven years I have prayed for revival. I could sit up all night to read or talk about revivals. It was the Spirit who moved me to think about revival.”

Evan Roberts 8
Description: The story of Evan Roberts and the Welsh Revival of 1904-5 is the most thrilling, but also the most sad and sobering in all revival history. On the one hand we see one hundred thousand souls in Wales coming to Christ in just nine months, from November 1904 to August 1905. This was the beginning of a world-wide revival that ushered hundreds of thousands more into the Kingdom of God. On the other hand, we see Evan Roberts, the principle revivalist of this move of God, becoming deceived, deluded and finally suffering a nervous breakdown which took him out of the public limelight to live the life of a recluse. Furthermore, the fruits of the revival in Wales (but not world-wide) were soon lost through criticism, fears of deception and a Welsh theology which suppressed the assurance of salvation. Within a generation there were no signs that a revival had ever occurred

What do you know of Evan Roberts??

What was behind him becoming deceived, deluded and finally suffering a nervous breakdown??

2012/9/3 22:16Profile
SonsofLevi

Richmond, Va. USA

Re: Evan Roberts

Brother Greg posted a link to the book "War on the Saints" which Evan Roberts co-authored as a result of what happened. It is very explanatory and thorough concerning your question. You can find the link in the current thread titled "Outward Manifestations" which "sermonindex" included in one of his posts in that thread.

2012/9/3 22:59Profile
proudpapa

Re: SonsofLevi

thank you SonsofLevi, I do not think I paid much attention to that thread, I will look for it.

2012/9/3 23:37Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Here is a great article on this dear brother: http://www.welshrevival.com/lang-en/1904evanroberts.htm

What I really admire and respect of him is that He never sought the lime-light. He was just a young man that fervently loved the Lord. And God used Him wonderfully. He was very careful not to take the glory for anything that was happening. And for many years when into hiding, to pursue a prayer life with the Lord.

We thank the Lord for such wonderful examples for young men to follow in our day.

I like this short pithy article on him here also: http://www.watchword.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=37&Itemid=37

2012/9/4 3:16Profile

Re: Evan Roberts

'proudpapa".

oh God bless you for bringing to light one of the saints who's ministry i so dearly love, and has influenced and effected in many many profound ways.

not meaning at ALL to be contentious, but i have to disagree with the uncited author's assessment of Evan's post revival life and ministry.

Evan had such a broken hearted, pressed out burden for the lost sheep in the land, that when he would come into meetings, there wouldnt be a neat and compact 3 point sermon, but a ministry, PUBLIC ministry of tears.

It wasnt a "show", a gimmick, but Evan literally being pressed out and abasing himself before the assembly, body wracked in tears, as he lived in a veritable "gethesame", this kind of ministry PRESSES anybody out, expecially when Evan prayed, "Bend us O LORD, Bend the Church", weeping and crying out with such anguish, that the whole of the assembly gathered COULD NOT HELP but themselves travel to
this "garden", and they would cry and cry out in repentance and contrition.

As far as the lasting fruits of such a revival, we only have to go to two of the last Godly Kings of Judah, Hezekiah, who's devotion to the Lord, spurred a national revival. God moved and saved Judah from the hands of the assyrians, and blessed Judah, but within a generation the next King was Mannaseh, who i will opine was probably the most wicked and terrible King of Judah, and i could cite King Josiah....next generation, the next King stirred such fury in God, he used the babylonians to wipe Judah away like a cloth wiping out a cup.

in my own foolishness, back in 2002, when i first came to Jesus, i would pray that prayer that Evan did, and even add to it, in my secret prayer time, i would pray, "Bend me LORD, break me Jesus"...and i meant it....didnt fully realize the total ramifications, but brother, God broke me BUT GOOD....not pleasant when its happening, this breaking of the human spirit, ego, pride, self sufficiency.....but imperative.

OH! be careful praying that prayer!!!!

post revival Evan receded and went into a private ministry of secret travailing intercessory prayer....would to God many more saints endeavor for such.

i like what brother Greg wrote:

Quote:
What I really admire and respect of him is that He never sought the lime-light. He was just a young man that fervently loved the Lord. And God used Him wonderfully. He was very careful not to take the glory for anything that was happening. And for many years when into hiding, to pursue a prayer life with the Lord.

i have a wonderful biography of Evan, entitled "an instrument of revival", which is now out of print, but bless God you can get a used copy for $2 and up, a new copy is 39.99...i say praise God, because just a few years ago, they were selling for the one copy around, $139, i kid you not!!!

here's the amazon link, this wonderful bio will set you afire:

http://www.amazon.com/An-Instrument-Revival-Brynmore-Jones/dp/0882706675/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346752536&sr=8-1&keywords=an+instrument+of+revival

in Jesus' love, neil

2012/9/4 6:02

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy