SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : unequally yoked

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
MaryJane

Re:

SepticGuy wrote:i understand what ur saying about having similar values. that makes sense. when it comes 2 moral values i expect there 2 be similarities. never been a fan of glen beck but i have noticed a lot of stuff on the internet about him and christians coming 2gether 2 bring about 'another great awakening' revival in america. the majority of his audience is christian.

i see that and it confuses me sum. a mormon leading christians. should it not be the other way around? i agree with u that we should not judge. just seems like a contradiction.

IT is a contradiction and yes it should be the other way around but then perhaps the very sad truth of it is that many who are in his audience and profess to be Christian "may" be just as lost and deceived as he is. I do not know the hearts of each individual so I don't focus so much on these things but rather pray and seek GOD.

I do know the gate is narrow and not many will enter in. The BIBLE also tells us that many will call out to HIM, LORD LORD and HE will say depart from me I never knew you. this is a heartbreaking truth but a truth none the less, there are many people who profess the name of JESUS who are lost themselves, that is why its best to not look to men but rather look to JESUS. Men will fail and make mistakes but those who are twice born, repented of their sins, and living unto the LORD, their lives will show it and you will know them by their fruit.

God bless
mj

2012/9/5 12:02Profile
SkepticGuy

Re:

septicguy! thats funny. :-)

thank u 4 talking to me about this, maryjane. u gave me some things to think about.

2012/9/5 12:46Profile
MaryJane

Re:

by SkepticGuy on 2012/9/5 6:46:59

septicguy! thats funny. :-)

thank u 4 talking to me about this, maryjane. u gave me some things to think about.

_____

Oh my goodness I just saw that I did that. I am so sorry. I promise that was not a Freudian slip or even a Freudian typo :) Just my fingers getting ahead of themselves and me not proof reading enough!

Thank you for sharing your heart with me as well.

God bless
mj

One last thought I think I will shorten your name down to S.G. so I don't make that mistake again (HA!)

2012/9/5 13:09Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
Does this term unequally yoked only apply to marriage relationships or others like friendships and who you fellowship with? no sure I fully understand what being unequally yoked means?

As pointed out this is not about marriage! That assumption has caused a lot of undue stress in marriages – and left many a Christian spouse feeling trapped in a life of disobedience to “God’s word”. Paul does not refer to marriage, because elsewhere he teaches believers and non believers to stay together if they can.

Of course we are inclinded to this verse through the eyes of our own culture: free choice, free rights, democracy, etc. Most of human civilization has not enjoyed the privilege of choosing their mate, their denomination, or other relational contexts. Most have not had have cars to scoot off to find the “yoke” that suited them. And that interpretation of the verse creates its own set of problems: When you realize that your church is not “right” you feel justified in criticizing, withdrawing your love, forgiveness,compassion. But really, that, is being yoked with unbelievers, because it's thinking like them!

As pointed out earlier, this verse is set in the context of the OT laws for Israel. It’s the same idea of not mixing two different kinds of fabrics, etc. But, we don’t live in ancient Israel. We are called to be in the world but not of it.

Right now, we here on SI are struggling through an example of being unequally yoked: It is in the way we think about perceived evil. We seem prone to think about the bad things going on just like the world thinks about it: with fear, suspicion, and a constant state of hypervigelence. We have a penchant to play “show and tell” with the bad stuff. We draw topics from the world, and treat it as the world does: without grace, hope, and forgiveness. In this way we are being unequally yoked with the world. It harms us.

Paul’s comment about being separate is positioned smack in the middle of a discussion about something else. Consider what comes before it and after:

BEFORE: “We are not withholding our affection from you, but you are withholding yours from us. …. Open wide your hearts also. 2 Cor. 6:12
AFTER: “Make room for us in your hearts.” 2 Cor. 7:2

Why would Paul, squeeze a comment about being separate between these verses? Might it be that worldly ways of thinking distracted them from their calling to love each other. That’s true even here on SI too isn’t. As long as we are gripped in a worldly way of thinking, we are not focusing on our calling: to encourage one another, love on another, build one another up, share our affection with each other etc.

That’s what inevitably happens when we let the world drag our minds down with its yoke. Right?

Diane

2012/9/5 17:28Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

Thank you Diane...

We have to stop reading our traditions into the text, we need to read the text into and through our traditions. Exploding them to smithereens if necessary, and affirming them when done right as well.

2012/9/5 21:06Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Sister Diane,

I'm not sure that I follow you. I think that the passage is quite clear and can have a wide application.

Quote:

II Corinthians 6:14-16 (NASB)

14 Do not be bound together with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness? 15 Or what harmony has Christ with Belial, or what has a believer in common with an unbeliever? 16 Or what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; just as God said,

“I will dwell in them and walk among them;
And I will be their God, and they shall be My people.

I think that this passage is not JUST about "marriage" and romantic relationship. Rather, it seems quite clear to be in regard to relationships in general. We are not supposed to be "yoked" together with unbelievers.

As others have pointed out, the "yoke" is a "tie" or "contract." The verse in question is a 1st Century analogy -- almost parable-like -- for a society that completely understood what two animals yoked together was like. I used the analogy of a "three-legged race" because it reflects the same idea.

If you take two individuals -- one a Christian and one an unbeliever -- they are different. There is no synchronized fellowship because a believer and unbeliever differ on the most important issue in this world. One will always "pull" the other.

This verse can be used for EVERY relationship that we keep -- including marriage. However, as others have pointed out, it can also be used for any relationship that might have a "tie" or "yoke" that binds believers with others.

I don't have children yet. However, I would not give permission or my blessing for my daughter or son to marry an unbeliever.

2012/9/5 21:52Profile
acarrollfan

Re: unequally yoked

One great example that I learn in the business context.

Two partners are in one business. One wants to go about advertising aggressively, hence, he spends lots of money in advertising. On the other hand, one wants to save cost on advertising, hence, he is more conservative about spending advertising money.

One sees the potential in advertising and the other doesn't.

That will also be unequally yoked?

2012/9/6 1:18Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
I would not give permission or my blessing for my daughter or son to marry an unbeliever.

Of course we do the best we can to understand another person’s faith position. However, in real life, young folk have yet to learn much about each other, including themselves. The testings of time reveal the genuineness of one's faith. It may even become clear over the years that one spouse was never really a follower of Christ. After all, many will say Lord, Lord – especially if they have learned how to talk the talk. I’m not speaking hypothetically here. I have heard many-a spouse bear their bitter soul over having “missed” God’s will when they got married. But they may actually be missing God’s call on them for the present: to accept their lot in life as is, and to be a light for Jesus.

The conscientious Christian in a relatinship can become beset by an un-unbeliving way of thinking - and THAT is what God wishes to deal with (rather than the unbelieving spouse). Such attitudes as resentment, self pity, fear, guilt need not be considered the fault of the unbelieving partner. It may, (in part), be the teaching they received at church about this very verse! It may be (in part) Christian teaching that focuses more on what is bad and what NOT to do, and who to avoid, than how excercise the gifts of grace.

I'd say: It’s when BOTH partners drift that they are prone to have more conflict. When one partner walks close to God, a “mixed” marriage is bound to be better off, because a mature believer knows how to exercise grace and reflect God’s peace. (Does Paul not teach that?) It’s that way in any relational context. Where God’s people are living as God called them, they care for one another, nurture one another …… and even a non believer is blessed by their humble attitude and love.

If you read the bigger context in 2 Corinthians, you see that the issue here is not about business partnerships either. Such unions are not necessarily wise even between two Christians. (You may know some nightmare stories that prove this to be true.)

"... do not be conformed any longer to the pattern of thie world, but rather, aim to keep yourself apart from non Christians."

No: ..... but be transformed by the renewing of your MIND" Rom. 12:2

Of course that's not saying that it is okay to align your life with the ungodly!!! Far from it.

It's more about becoming yoked with Christ and disloged from the unbelieving mindset (even your own weak faith). It's not merely about what you STOP doing or who you AVOID. It's what you actually DO. And to discover that, you return back to the context in 2 Cor 6-7 and read the positive instructions.

Diane

2012/9/6 7:00Profile
SkepticGuy

Re:

Quote:
One great example that I learn in the business context.

Two partners are in one business. One wants to go about advertising aggressively, hence, he spends lots of money in advertising. On the other hand, one wants to save cost on advertising, hence, he is more conservative about spending advertising money.

One sees the potential in advertising and the other doesn't.

That will also be unequally yoked?

i would call that a great balance. a much needed balance. if both partners aggressively spend money then it will not be long and they will be in bankruptcy court. checks and balances is a good thing. most married couples are very opposite when it comes to issues of money. but i do not think this is what the good book is referring to. i see this as being very spiritual in nature. a christian marries a muslim there will be conflict from the very beginning. a christian marries a non-christian and there will be conflict especially concerning the children. i am no theologian but even i understand this principle.

2012/9/6 9:21Profile
roadsign

Re:

Another thought:

The issue in this Corinthian church is Paul’s credibility as an apostle. Paul is concerned that in their MINDS the converts are being led astray from their sincere and pure devotion to Christ. (2 Cor. 11:3) False “super apostles” are pulling the people’s hearts away from Paul.

Paul is not talking about one-time choices - but what is really a perpetual risk among God’s people. We can understand. A pastor’s teaching ministry is easily undermined when his congregants submit their minds to “super-apostles” (which our media happily provides). And the people lose interest in their own pastor, stop praying for him, or withhold their loyalty and heart affection – even from each other. They start gossiping about their pastor and each other, close their minds to the messages, etc - exactly what Paul was concerned about.

Indisputably, a lot of unequal yoking goes on within the Christian Body itself. And that seriously undermines their ability to grow in the gifts of grace and thus to withstand the forces of evil.

2012/9/6 11:24Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy