SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : GOD CANNOT PLEASE SINNERS (Charles G. Finney)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

God Cannot Please Sinners (Part 29)
Charles G. Finney

XIV. Sinners ought not to desire that means should be used to please their hearts, while they are in their sins. If any preaching or means make you feel pleasantly, if your heart is delighted with it, rest assured, that these means will do you no good. They will only deceive you, and make you overlook the necessity of a change of heart.

2005/3/7 8:12Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

God Cannot Please Sinners (Part 30)
Charles G. Finney

XV. You can see the nature of hell torments.

Sinners are often thrown into great agony in this life, by the internal struggles, and janglings of their consciences and their hearts. Now let them go into eternity with their hearts unchanged. Let the full blaze of eternity's light be poured upon their consciences; and with a heart at enmity against God, what horrible rebellion, what insupportable conflicting, and quarreling with self, and with God, will the sinner experience.

With a conscience that sternly takes the part of God, and a heart that supremely hates him, what a fire of hell will such a conflict kindle up in the sinner's breast.

2005/3/7 11:12Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

God Cannot Please Sinners (Part 31)
Charles. G. Finney

Lastly. Sinners should not follow their feelings, but obey the voice of conscience. In other cases, where sinners find their feelings opposed to their better judgement, they will often set down their foot, and resist the current of their feelings. They will say, I am not going to be carried away, and throw up the reins to my feelings, I must exercise my judgment. I must act like a reasonable being. But oh, on the subject of religion, how perfectly men give themselves up to their wicked hearts. Sinner, you ought this moment to come forth promptly, and act like a man, and say you will not go another step in the way of death. Why throw up the reins, and give loose to passion? Why drive with such furious haste to hell? Why suffer yourself to be carried hither and thither, by every gush of feeling, and by every breath of emotion that passes over the surface of your soul? Why, sinner, if you do not exercise your reason; if you do not listen to the voice of conscience; if you do not gather up the reins, gird up your loins, and address yourself to the work of your salvation like a man;--if you do not make up your mind to resist the whole tide of your carnal feelings, and put yourself under the clear blaze of heaven's light; and when conscience gives forth its verdict, unless you will promptly obey, you must die in your sins; and now will you here, in the house of God, while your character and danger are before you; while mercy waits to save, and death brandishes his weapon to destroy, while heaven calls, and hell groans; while the spirit strives, and Christians pray, will you have the moral courage, the decision of character, the honesty, and manhood, to resolve on immediate submission to Jesus Christ?

2005/3/7 14:44Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy