SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Is it alright to ask signs to know God's will?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Keylla

Brazil

Is it alright to ask signs to know God's will?

Is alright to ask a specific sign from God to find out His will about specific things that are not in the bible like: is that brother my future spouse? Should I go on this trip? Should i accept a job offer? Etc

2012/8/26 11:02Profile
onemite

Re: Is it alright to ask signs to know God's will?

Keylla,

I cannot answer your question at the moment. I don't know any scripture to support my "opinions" but I kept this excerpt from a piece written by Tozer that you may find helpful and is right in line with what I know of God's character.

A.W. Tozer

"Except for those things that are specifically commanded or forbidden, it is God's will that we be free to exercise our own intelligent choice. The shepherd will lead the sheep but he does not wish to decide which tuft of grass the sheep shall nibble each moment of the day. In almost everything touching our common life on earth God is pleased when we are pleased. He wills that we be as free as birds to soar and sing our Maker's praise without anxiety. God's choice for us may not be one but any one of a score of possible choices. The man or woman who is wholly and joyously surrendered to Christ cannot make a wrong choice. Any choice will be the right one. But what about those rare times when a great deal is at stake, we can discover no clear scriptural instruction and yet are forced to choose between two possible courses? In such a situation we have God's faithful promise to guide us aright. Here, for instance, are two passages from the Word of the Lord: If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering (James 1:5,6). Thus saith the Lord, thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; I am the Lord thy God which teacheth thee to profit, which leadeth thee by the way that thou shouldest go (Isaiah 48:17). Take your problem to the Lord. Remind Him of these promises. Then get up and do what looks best to you. Either choice will be right. God will not permit you to make a mistake."

2012/8/26 11:48Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Here is a helpful short article by Zac Poonen on this:

Proving God's Perfect Will - Zac Poonen

When faced with an issue concerning which we are unsure as to whether it is God's will or not, it is good for us to ask ourselves twelve questions. As we answer these questions honestly, it will become increasingly clear to us what the will of God is.

(1) Is it contrary to any of the teachings of Jesus and the apostles, or to the spirit of the New Testament, as far as I know? (2 Tim.3:16,17).

(2) Is it something I can do with a clear conscience? (1 Jn.3:21).

(3) Is it something I can do for the glory of God? (1 Cor.10:31).

(4) Is it something I can do in fellowship with Jesus? (Col.3:17).

(5) Can I ask God to bless me as I do it? (2 Cor.9:8).

(6) Will my doing it blunt my spiritual edge in any way? (2 Tim.2:15).

(7) Will it be spiritually profitable and edifying, to the best of my knowledge? (1 Cor.6:12; 10:23).

(8) Would I be happy if I were found doing it at the moment when Jesus returns to earth? (1 Jn.2:28).

(9) What do wiser and more mature brothers think about it? (Prov.11:14; 15:22; 24:6)

(10) Will my doing it bring dishonour to God's Name or ruin my testimony, if others know about it? Rom.2:24; 2 Cor.8:21)

(11) Will my doing it cause others to stumble, if they know about it? (Rom.14:13; 1 Cor.8:9).

(12) Do I feel free in my spirit to do it? (1 Jn.2:27).

(Look up the Scripture references and meditate on them)

2012/8/26 12:33Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

One of the few examples we have of this Biblically is, of course Gideon. Gideon had a personal visitation by an angel from God telling him that God was with him and that he was to go and save Israel. Gideon's fleece, put out after God had already told him to go in strength and deliver Israel was to find out if God would save Israel by his hand. Gideon's fleece was not put forth in faith, but rather in doubt. He already knew the will of the Lord, but still asked God for a sign, and then another.

I am not implying that you are in doubt. I am just saying that one of the few times that someone asked God for a sign, and perhaps the most well known event, is an example of a man, in his weakness, doubting the word of the Lord and needing to see a sign.

Under the new covenant, we have been made partakers of the Spirit of God. We can, unlike men under the old covenant, commune with God on an ongoing and personal basis.

It is not God's desire to hide His will from us. He desires to speak to us about these things you speak about. Here are a couple of ways that I discern God's will.

1. I strive to know His word. The Bible may not speak specifically about whether a particular man is to be your spouse. It does speak of being equally yoked with other believers, and of the qualities of a good husband and man of God.

2. I spend time with Him on an ongoing basis. It seems like I am always taken back to Smith Wigglesworth in this regard. It is said that he once told a young man, "I rarely pray for more than 15 minutes at a time, but there are rarely 15 minutes go by that I don't pray." It is not that he did not have seasons of focused prayer for a long time, but he had learned the secret of walking in constant communion with the Lord. Pray without ceasing.

3. I allow the peace of the Lord to reign in my life. This one is sometimes a challenge, but I am learning. When I have a decision to make, perhaps whether to go on a trip, I stay in the presence of the Lord, and allow the Holy Spirit to give me peace. I was once asked to participate in another man's ministry in leadership. I had no peace about it. So, I turned the man down.

4. I am learning more and more what the still small voice of the Lord sounds like. I am becoming more and more accustomed to hearing His voice. And when He speaks, I try to obey lest I harden my heart against Him.

These are a few of the ways I ascertain God's will. I think it is generally unwise to ask God to engineer circumstances by which I can be led. It is a bit like the man who decided that He would ascertain God's will by opening his Bible with his eyes closed and pointing to a verse. When he opened his eyes his finger was on, "and Judas went and hanged himself." The man thought this an odd verse and so he closed his eyes, opened the Bible and tried again. This time his finger landed on the last half of Luke 10:37, "go and do thou likewise."

I think God's real desire is to speak to you directly by His Holy Spirit.

As to the topic of spouse specifically, this is my advice to any young person. Fall in love with Jesus. Seek Him with all you have. Don't give spouse a second thought. Trust God to bring Mr. Right along at the right time and to give you His peace in developing that relationship at that time.

2012/8/26 14:31Profile

Re:

Is it okay to ask for signs?

I sure did.

Just don't get into the habit of seeking signs, use the sign just for what it is meant, as an observation to build one's faith in whatever it is your seeking God for.

God will truly give you a sign if you ask Him for it, but don't look for it, just relax and trust the Lord and He will bring it to you.

Once your faith becomes stronger, your interests in looking for a sign will wane, you will no longer feel the need for them. However, during some really tight situations and a constant stormy trial, when we are not looking for anything but a way out, God sometimes slips in an encouraging word and that too can be seen as a sign that God has not forgotten you in your desperate time.

So ask away, God will NOT be offended.

2012/8/26 18:43
Keylla

Brazil

Thanks all for your help. Everything said was very nice to me!

2012/8/27 13:01Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Yes, it is ok to ask for a sign. But just don't expect one (in your timing at least).

Blessings!

2012/8/27 13:11Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy