SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Is there a better place to discuss things in depth?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
CarlosBCG

Is there a better place to discuss things in depth?

I really like the spirit of the Christians that respond here overall. It's wonderful.

But it is a bit disappointing too in that I so want to discuss things in depth until the Lord leads us to some steps of conviction together or things that we can apply in what we are discussing.

But what happens here is that people will come into a thread that I begin, say something...usually very insightful and wonderful, perhaps over several posts (allelujah!) and then when I get all excited and start sharing more...they seem to disappear and I start talking to myself.

There are two threads where this is happening now.

I am just wondering, for those of you that have been in the threads I began, is it me somehow?

If not is there some way to encourage more in depth discussion?

Is the internet not conducive to that type of discussion?

I just don't know.

Like I said...it's rather disappointing and I don't know what if anything I can do about it.

Any advice or input would be most appreciated.

If you know of a better place to discuss things in depth (along with an easier to use forum with more freedom to use things like bold and with notice of replies) with other Christians I would sure appreciate hearing about that too.

Thanks.

Carlos

2012/8/23 23:10Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Is there a better place to discuss things in depth?

Brother,

It might be helpful for you to read through the community guidelines: https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=44556&forum=13

I believe the Spirit of the forums is not one teacher over many but brothers just sharing back and forth and learning from each other. It is wonderful to see strong mature brothers learning from the weak and the other way around.

It is good to be prayerful also about posts and to share what the Spirit is laying on our hearts. Also the forums is not a place for one no matter how mature they are to just SHARE with others. But rather a place to grow and learn from others and not also start new threads.

So there is a body-life to the forums that allows spiritual growth in individuals as we humble ourselves. To be a leader is to be a servant and serve others. That is the biblical pattern and role of leadership in the New Testament. So therefore if God is has put in you gifting for future leadership that will come out from serving others and growing in Christ-likeness in this way even in the forums.

Just some thoughts for you brother.

2012/8/23 23:21Profile

Re:

Greg made some good points.

I'd also add this little piece of advice.

When starting out, and in general, try not to put a long stream of your own posts in each thread one after another. If I see two, or three (or sometimes more) longish posts in succession by the same user (especially if they're quite long) I tend to just skip over them. Whether that's mature or not, I don't know, but it's just how I, and a few other members I've spoken to about the same issue, react to it. Most of the posters who impact and challenge my thinking and understanding the greatest usually can do so with relatively few words.

I'm not saying that going in depth into an issue isn't good, and doesn't happen, but when a user (especially a new one) comes and starts making lengthy post after post, I think the impression that many get is that the new user might simply be looking for a podium to teach from that they're denied in day to day life. Though they usually term it with phrases like, "Just sharing from my heart," or, "Letting other believers knows what they Lord's been showing me," their agendas to "teach" (though I use this term lightly, as they're usually propagating rubbish) become all to clear sooner or later. Sadly, this is how many fly-by-night posters seem to view this site.

I'm not saying that this is what you're doing, but I'd just advise you that this is how it may look to some, no matter how sincere your intentions, as we frequently get a lot of new posters with hidden agendas. Again, this is not how I view you, but your style might be misconstrued to appear this way, so I figured I should probably give you a heads up.

Glad to have you with us though.

-Grant

2012/8/24 0:35
MaryJane

Re: Is there a better place to discuss things in depth?

Any advice or input would be most appreciated.

If you know of a better place to discuss things in depth (along with an easier to use forum with more freedom to use things like bold and with notice of replies) with other Christians I would sure appreciate hearing about that too.

Thanks.

Carlos

I don't know of any other forums out there but I will say that if you have a desire to hear, as well as share, then this forum can be an awesome place to learn. I find that being humble and having an open heart to listen to what others are seeing really has been beneficial to me personally. I have grown so much in my walk with the LORD just from reading the thoughts shared by others. As was mentioned they don't have to be lengthy discussions on doctrines or theology. Sometimes the things that have blessed me the most is reading a testimony of how the LORD is working in another persons life. I love reading about the work that GOD is doing in their hearts and lives and HE uses that to stretch and grow me too.

God bless
maryjane

2012/8/24 8:39Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I'm not saying that going in depth into an issue isn't good, and doesn't happen, but when a user (especially a new one) comes and starts making lengthy post after post, I think the impression that many get is that the new user might simply be looking for a podium to teach from that they're denied in day to day life. Though they usually term it with phrases like, "Just sharing from my heart," or, "Letting other believers knows what they Lord's been showing me," their agendas to "teach" (though I use this term lightly, as they're usually propagating rubbish) become all to clear sooner or later. Sadly, this is how many fly-by-night posters seem to view this site.

This is an important concern brother and true. Those who are seeking to be teachers over people and are striving at this and frustrated are not teachers from the Lord. The Lord will grow a brother humbly and slowly and each time he has a chance to share he will be humbled at the opportunity not thinking in himself anything worth sharing.

Here are a few points from the community guidelines on the site on this topic that I trust all users read who post here:

2. BEING TEACHABLE - Being teachable is another guiding principle that we ask would be something we would all desire to cultivate. To have this humility with the apostle paul who in a humble attitude was seeking for maturity in the Christian walk yet would not judge his brothers for other opinions and teachings (Philippians 3:15). We can learn from even the weakest amongst us for each one of us has some truth, some practice that they understand or have a better revelation then we do. Therefore we must continually humble ourselves to learn from even the babes in Christ. This glorifies God and brings unity to the body (1 Corinthians 12:21-23).

3. HAVING A PERSONAL AGENDA - We look down on people who come with personal agenda's or are trying to justify themselves on a particular doctrine or emphasis. We believe it is not healthy to try and impose a truth that you have on many other brothers or sisters. This type of believer feels that a truth they have is more important then the rest and feels a godliness for holding to that truth. Such a godliness is false and will not bring about the fruits of the Spirit in the life of that believer (Galatians 5:22-23).

4. SERVANTHOOD - Another guiding principle is to come to the forums as a servant of all. This is following the example of our Lord who came to serve and not be served. Paul the Apostle furthers this teaching by extending it to all men that we should prefer others before ourselves (Philippians 2:1-7). This teaching is important to grasp and practice especially in our speech and writing on a public venue such as these forums. God will give us opportunities everyday to walk in these truths to serve others and not ourselves with such attitudes and a lifestyle God is glorified.

5. SPEAKING WITH GENTLENESS - Having mercy, gentleness, and meekness in our posts on the forums is not only good it is needful. Especially when there is not a face to face conversation one cannot understand a person's tone well so be extra careful to show forth your tone to people in the posts and try to ensure you are not accusing, or speaking angrily against another but adding positive affirmations and kindness into your posts. This will help to not give the devil any opportunity to bring division (Ephesians 4:27). For division, backbiting and sectarianism is carnality and we are not walking in the Spirit when doing so (Jude 1:19).

6. SELF-PROMOTION - Self-Promoting your own teachings or articles, sermons and videos is not encouraged in the forums. We have hand-selected over 50,000 audio, video and text resources on sermon index and we ask that the majority of the discussions centre around those materials provided. You can post another article or sermon from another source also long as its not contrary to the tenor of the materials on SermonIndex. But we ask that you do not promote your own audio sermon materials. 'Let someone else praise you, and not your own mouth' (Proverbs 27:2).

from: https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=44556&forum=13&0

2012/8/24 15:16Profile
CarlosBCG

Re:

Thanks for sharing you all and I do appreciate the input yet...I wonder if it is of God.

I mean is what you all are sharing God's perspective on this?

I do not say that in the least in defensiveness of my long posts or the frequency of starting threads that I have engaged in. Not at all.

But I have something wonderful to share this morning that I believe is of the Lord in that He touched a very deep wound in my life and gave me some revelation knowledge of His delight in me.

Now I know that may sound like some teacher wannabe at it again but I have to ask...what if God DID touch my heart?

What if He does want me to share at length what He touched my heart about?

Your all's suggestions that I seek to learn more than to share would go against the grain of that. And it would go against the grain of my gifting which is not by the way to be a teacher as much as to be a prophet as in to communicate the heart of God to His people.

Now I know that just my saying that probably has red flags raising all over the place as in that I might be one of those prophet types who come into a place and start trying to get others to see how great I am and whatever other stereotype you might have about prophets.

But I ask what IF I am gifted to be a prophet?

Would your advice be advice that a prophet should follow?

With respect to seeking to learn and not sharing much of anything at all?

It seems like your all's suggestions are in line with what I have encountered in much of established and organized churches. Where I am expected to come in like a good little sheep, sit in a pew and listen and learn from others before potentially, if ever, being able to operate in what seems like God's gift to me.

I do not say that defensively or to offend anyone. Only to point out that God may want things done differently.

I would NEVER discourage someone from speaking out what they believe God is putting on their heart to share with others. NEVER.

That is one of the problems with the church of today and I am afraid this post is getting to be quite long but I feel a need to say this.

The church of today frowns upon a young whipper snapper coming in to an established place and up and speaking the things God lays on their hearts.

Yet such a way of being toward those who are learning to fly in their gift is NOT the way of God as far as I read it in the New Testament.

We are to encourage every single believer to speak up and speak fully whatever God is laying on their hearts. There is to be a free operation of the gifts of the spirit.

Not a restraint from those who have been around for a while.

Correction...absolutely. Redirection...you bet. A sharing of insight with where I or others might be off...by all means. Perhaps help in learning how to express things more succintly...no question.

But NOT restrained exuberance because it is considered impolite or less than acceptable to come into an established thing like this forum and up and expressing things as though one has been around a long time and has earned the right to speak.

It is GOD who gives any of us the right to speak for Him. Not this forum or it's owner or anyone else.

Those are just some thoughts that I would encourage each of you to prayerfully consider.

I may just share one last thing which the Lord laid on my heart to share and go elsewhere. I will not restrain myself from speaking out about what God lays on my heart.

You may look at that as rebellious or otherwise but I look on that as madly in love with God.

Jesus Himself said that whatever God whispers in our ears we are to SHOUT from the housetops.

Thanks again for your input.

Carlos

2012/8/24 15:26Profile
CarlosBCG

Re:

Greg,

While I appreciate a listing of the guidelines for posting here I have to ask...do you see me as not following them in some way?

Specifically...

BEING TEACHABLE is a noble and wonderful thing. Am I not being teachable because I am excited about what God lays on my heart and want to share it with others? Being teachable is a state of heart. Not sharing is not proof of anything other than not sharing. Before God I believe I am as teachable as I can be...as far as I know how to be teachable. I am open to correction, open to seeing things differently, open to anything and everything that is of God.

HAVING A PERSONAL AGENDA...do you see me as having a personal agenda? If so...what might that be? Is it a personal agenda to want to share the things of God with others for their edification and the well being of the Body?

SERVANTHOOD...it is most definitely indicative of servanthood for me to come into a forum like this and share as I do. Because more often than not people come at me with all kinds of undeserved flak. I come into a place and stir things up. Not out of a desire to do so. It's the last thing I would want to do but God seems to often have other plans. I personally would just as soon shut my mouth and have the flak cease but I would not be faithful to God if I did that.

SPEAKING WITH GENTLENESS...ah now here I can learn. By all means I want correction in this if I ever don't do so. I want to be gentler in how I say things. But that does not involve shutting up and taking on the role of learner, assuming of course that a learner lets others speak and doesn't say much. If I am a prophet...is a true prophet of God supposed to keep their mouth shut? Now I know that you may not know me enough to say whether I am or not but don't you think it's possible that I might be? If that is so...is a prophet supposed to not express? Of course not.

SELF-PROMOTION ... I am not doing that at all unless you can point to something I am self-promoting. The only thing I am guilty of promoting is what God lays on my heart. Is that frowned upon here? Are the only one's who can promote that the one's who have been around here a long time? Is that God's way?

I fail to see why you even bring these things up Greg. Really.

I mean I appreciate it but unless you can point me to where I am falling short in these guidelines (with the exception of gentleness) I don't see the point of bringing them up in a conversation I started asking where I can find deeper discussion.

Carlos

2012/8/24 15:39Profile
CarlosBCG

Re:

I was going to share some incredible things the Lord showed me this morning...absolutely unreal...but I think I won't at this point.

There is no sense doing so.

If this forum is not open to new one's coming in and opening their hearts up about what God is laying on their hearts under some misguided notions of what is proper it is no place for me to be hanging around at.

The things the Lord revealed to me would have required yet another thread to be started by me and another long post.

Neither of which I am encouraged to do here at this point.

I'll check back a few times to see if any further responses warrant my attention on this thread since there is no notification of replies on this forum but if there are no new posts here I will go elsewhere.

May God keep and bless you all.

Carlos

2012/8/24 15:44Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I'll check back a few times to see if any further responses warrant my attention on this thread since there is no notification of replies on this forum but if there are no new posts here I will go elsewhere.

My friend, to be honest with your reply and thinking being expressed in this way I do not think your participation in these forums will be profitable to you. I believe my heart as many on these forums are to connect with and learn from all the body of Christ but neither myself or one brother on these forums feels he wants an audience or demands such.

Your desire for people to read "what you have to say" and comment "on what you feel the Lord is telling you" can seem like a good desire but I challenge you to search the motives of your heart.

The Spirit of Christ in us wants to testify of Christ and bring glory to Him not ourselves.

2012/8/24 15:48Profile
CarlosBCG

Re:

Quote:

Your desire for people to read "what you have to say" and comment "on what you feel the Lord is telling you" can seem like a good desire but I challenge you to search the motives of your heart.

I have searched my motives in the Presence of God a thousand times a thousand Greg.

In the Presence of God I see absolutely no problem at all in my desire to express the things of God for the edification of others and well being of His Body.

That is the same desire that undoubtedly you and many others have. It is the same desire that beats in my heart too.

The ONLY difference that I can see is that I am a newbie and am thus considered less able or perhaps less in the place of being able to share as freely as others here might.

But that is NOT God's perspective Greg. God is no respecter of persons and will as likely speak through one or another even to the point of speaking through a donkey (i.e. Balaam's).

Thanks again for your input bro.

Carlos

2012/8/24 15:57Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy