SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Study: Shocking Spike in Full Nudity on Broadcast TV

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Study: Shocking Spike in Full Nudity on Broadcast TV

The Parents Television Council (PTC) on Monday released results of a research analysis of nudity on prime-time broadcast television—and the results may shock (and even disgust) you.

During the 2011-2012 season there were 76 incidents of full nudity on 37 shows compared to 15 incidents in 14 shows the previous year, representing a 407 percent increase in incidents. What's more, almost 70 percent of the scenes that depicted full nudity during the 2011–2012 study period were on shows that aired before 9 p.m. and as early as 7 p.m. In comparison, 50 percent of the full nudity scenes aired after 9 p.m. the previous year. ...

read more: http://www.charismanews.com/culture/33996-study-shocking-spike-in-full-nudity-on-broadcast-tv

2012/8/21 11:51Profile
hulsey

Missouri

Re: Study: Shocking Spike in Full Nudity on Broadcast TV

In the 1980's Lucille Ball made a statement about the problem with immorality on the television. She said, "When I was in television you couldn't say the word pregnant. Now they show you how to get that way."

I like what Bill Randles said. He said that it's not so much that it's getting bad but maybe God is pulling the curtains back to show us just how bad it has always been.

2012/8/21 12:12Profile
dottiejean

Pacific NW

Re: Study: Shocking Spike in Full Nudity on Broadcast TV

Gosh...I hope the people at Parents Television Council didn't actually have to sit down and watch all these shows...in order to report on the staggering increase. That would kinda be shooting yourself in the foot, wouldn't it?

Pretty sad commentary of our nation. I have always been angry that even Ads on tv show inappropriate things. I cringe and pray especially for our Christian men who are trying to be Godly....it is not easy.

One solution? TAKE THAT TV TO THE DUMP !!! :)

2012/8/21 14:45Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Why dump the tv. Just tune it to programs you want to watch and beware of the ones which are trash. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

2012/8/21 15:59Profile
hulsey

Missouri

Re:

Eating and Drinking With the Drunken by David Wilkerson

This sermon by David Wilkerson is an excellent answer to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcKC2XKxV5o

2012/8/21 16:53Profile
iceman9

New York

Re:

Let’s be honest - there is very little God honoring material ever on TV.

For me: I leave the TV off and spend the time studying the Scriptures and reading Christ exulting books. To me that is much more profitable.

I realize not everyone is a reader – but that is just my two cents.

2012/8/21 16:54Profile
dottiejean

Pacific NW

Re:

Hi deadN....thnx for your comment. I know most people probably feel as you do.

But didja ever notice how even during early evening tv and during children's programming that unacceptable pics and ideas are flashed before our minds?

I tried at one point to keep a tv and be very careful about what I allowed my young daughter and myself to watch....just as you said. But overtime I realized that there was a contaminating influence.

The best example I can think of is when you have a wood stove in a room with white walls. Those freshly painted white walls look good for a while. A year later you think they still look OK.....until you begin to wash those walls down with soap and water. Yikes!!! The contrast between white and smokey grey is undeniable. And it happened just a wee bit everyday.

Another issue I have with tv is simply the average amount of TIME we give to it....2,3,4 hrs. a nite plus weekends?

I began to fantasize about what a difference it would make in families and in the church if instead of watching tv....mom and dad would go back into their bedroom, get down on their knees together and begin to pray for their kids, grandkids, friends, workplace, their church and city, etc. TIME.....that's one of the big issues.

Just a thought.

Blessings on you and yours.......

2012/8/21 17:18Profile
IssacharSon

Southeast USA

Re:

Great comments, saints!

I wish there was a way in which we could embed links to other posts on SI within a current post. I would love to link this thread to the one started by SI Moderators on the spiritual "contamination" of the entertainment industry in America.

Overall, most of what I see and hear broadcasting on both cable and network T. V. is offensive, lewd, disgusting and to the glorification of every sin imaginable. This is especially harmful for young children who, unlike adults, lack the ability to put it all into context.

iceman9 wrote:

“Let’s be honest - there is very little God honoring material ever on TV.

For me: I leave the TV off and spend the time studying the Scriptures and reading Christ exulting books. To me that is much more profitable.

I realize not everyone is a reader – but that is just my two cents.”

Iceman9's "two cents" is worth a whole lot of truth. Yet, even the channels and T. V. shows/movies which claim to promote a Christian ethos are instead leading a multitude of watchers astray or deeper into spiritual delusion.

The entertainment is becoming so bad and overtly intrusive that I can foresee having to turn it off or get rid of it in the very near future. And, yes, maybe doing so will free our minds from the escapism we seek through the television, and compel us to look upon and listen to messages and images which grow our faith, rather than destroy it.

dottiejean wrote:

"Another issue I have with tv is simply the average amount of TIME we give to it....2,3,4 hrs. a nite plus weekends?”

Amen! Just take notice of the drastic changes which take place in the activity of an average household when the power goes out or the cable service is turned off or interrupted. When one form of escapism is removed, then we scurry to seek out another form. People often sleep when they lose access to their T. V. Some folks read (usually gossip rags). I have yet to observe people praying or studying the Bible during a power blackout. One thing they defintitely do is go crazy from boredom if cut-off access to television is prolonged. It's like we don't what to do with ourselves when T. V. is no longer an option.

I agree with iceman9 about having a preference for studying God's Word over watching television. Nothing is more entertaining than God! Yet, in sharing a household I often have no one to share this "past time" with. I have to submit to watching T. V. with others for the sake of promoting "fellowship" and to avoid social isolation within the household. And the T. V. is going non-stop. Even when no one is watching it! At times like this, I just want to shout at it and tell in to "Shhhush Up!"
However, we will only devote one to two hours a week to the "hearing" of God's Word.

Love-in-Christ,

KP

2012/8/21 18:46Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

TV is what you make it. Some people are more sensitive to some stimuli than others. During the week the only tv I watch is some news and then my wife likes to watch some cooking shows or we watch PBS. I like documentaries. If I watch something during the day, when I am off on the weekdays, I usually go to the pbs Stuff to see a documentary. I don't have cable or satellite. Waste of money IMO. Otherwise I spend some time online reading stories and just thinking as well as doing some school work.

I think it would be great culture shock if we took tv's out of houses and 'forced' families to each other.

2012/8/23 10:06Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy