SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine :  Do we need to know the book?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Do we need to know the book?

How important is it to know the scriptures?

Besrmadter

2012/8/14 16:46
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Do we need to know the book?

When it is taken from us we will realize how important it was to know the scriptures and I say let the scriptures know us!

2012/8/14 17:19Profile
dvndsn

Kentucky

Re:

God has been revealing to me as of late that it is much more important to be a DO-er of His word rather than a KNOW-er of it. I can read and know all I want (as can atheists!), but if I do nothing, it hurts the body.

Not to put down knowing the Word, though. I emphasize Scripture reading to my wife every single day! We should read and know it, indeed. To place this priority above that of living it out is where I claim to draw the line.

2012/8/14 17:24Profile
learjet

How else are we going to 'know the Father' if we don't spend the time to read the Word and get to know Him? Reading the Word is not a hassle, it's a great joy!

You cannot 'know the Lord' without 'knowing the scriptures' not just in your mind but in your heart as well. Sure, I've heard countless people talk about not having the bible available due to lack of resources however, if the resources are available and folks choose not to learn, and desire to learn, then we are just lazy.

Quote:
"Leave them; they are blind guides. If a blind man leads a blind man, both will fall into a pit." ~Matthew 15:14

Lack of studying the Word has lead to mass deception here in the US. Folks would rather hire out the job of knowing the Lord (or knowing something). Christians do not regard themselves as priests, and when you are not a priest (a royal priesthood) someone else is always responsible to carry out 'the ministry'.

Even the 'good' ministries here in the States are the same, they might talk about THE BELIEVER being a priest, but every Sunday a priest still gets up and preaches a message and everybody claps and goes home. You can't speak one way and then operate another, people will rightfully sense the hypocrisy and you lose credibility since you are not walking out your own message. If you don't believe your message, and walk it out, why should others?

Please hear the heart of how I wrote this and give me some mercy for my lack of writing ability. :-)

Finally, look at this quote, frankly I can't believe it myself, this is AW Tozer, not some kook. Amazing how true it is!

Quote:
"I see the time coming when all the holy men whose eyes have been opened by the Holy Spirit will desert worldly Evangelicalism, one by one. The house will be left desolate and there will not be a man of God, a man in whom the Holy Spirit dwells, left among them… As the Church now stands, the man who sees this condition of worldly evangelicalism is written off as somewhat fanatical. But the day is coming when the house will be left desolate and there will not be a man of God among them. I would like to live long enough to watch this develop and see how things turn out. I would like to live to see the time when the men and woman of God-holy, separated and spiritually enlightened-walk out of the evangelical church and form a group of their own; when they get off the sinking ship and let her go down in the brackish and worldliness and form a new ark to ride out the storm"

-AW Tozer

2012/8/14 17:26Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Joh 5:37-39

37 And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape.

38 And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not.

39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

2012/8/14 17:34Profile

Re:

I have noticed in recent months that threads started on the Bible die very quick deaths in the forum. A few years ago there were threads started that ran for several posts refecting Bibke study, scripture memory, and Bible reading. But anytime a thread is opened up on Bible reading or the importance of the Bible I can hear the collective yawn of the forum. And saying what else is new.

I found it providential that after opening up this thread I read this moths issue of the VOM magazine. In it were reports on what the Bible meant to the persecuted church. One prisoner for Christ was reported as saying to his wife. Please get a Bible to me. I cannot live without a Bibke.

Are we so arrogant in America to believe we can live without a Bibke. Did not the Savior say man does not live on bread alone but one every word that comes from the mouth if God. Yet our arrogance presupposes that we do not need the living bread if Christ himself. Jesus himself said it us the Spirit who gives life. The flesh counts for nothing. He said his words were spirit and life.

Several years ago I visited Bedford where John Bunyon was born. I would see statues or pictures of him a book in his hand. One would suppose the book is the Bible. Spurgeon said of Bunyon that if you would cut him he would not bleed blood but scripture.

We have been saying persrcution will soon be opon our land. The very book we take for granted may be declared a hate book. When we are arrested the authorities will not allow you the comfort of a New Testament. But only what is stored in your heart will sustain you.

So again I ask this forum. Is it important to know the Bible? Somehow I think I know the answer.

Bearmaster.

2012/8/14 22:19
MaryJane

Re:

Is it important to know the Bible?

I think it is vitally important to know JESUS the person. To have a real relationship with HIM, to walk with HIM submitting and obeying HIM daily. I think one way of getting to know JESUS is by reading HIS WORDS. I also think prayer, worship, singing praises to HIM, and having fellowship with other believers is important and helpful in getting to know JESUS. I think listening is important too, that is one I am learning now :)

God bless
maryjane

2012/8/14 22:44Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

Bearmaster,

". . . . The very book we take for granted may be declared a hate book. When we are arrested the authorities will not allow you the comfort of a New Testament. But only what is stored in your heart will sustain you.

So again I ask this forum. Is it important to know the Bible? Somehow I think I know the answer."

Yes, the answer is clear. Lord willing, the meager collection of verses I know will sustain me should it come to this. I know from personal experience that the 23rd Psalm has in it everything anyone could ask for, as far as comfort and leadership (He truly is our shepherd).

"and form a new ark to ride out the storm"

Kind regards to you both,
white stone

2012/8/14 22:44Profile

Re:

Most certainly.

2012/8/14 22:58
proudpapa

What is interesting is when Jesus was being tempted He Himself relied on the scripture. If Jesus Relied on the written word when he was tempted how much more do we need the written word in our hearts for when temptaion comes on us.

2012/8/14 23:06Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy