SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Boycott calls as Richard Dawkins heads for Christian stronghold

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
SHMILY

Northern Idaho

Boycott calls as Richard Dawkins heads for Christian stronghold

HARD-line Christians are calling on residents of a Scottish community to boycott a talk by controversial author and atheist Richard Dawkins.

Professor Dawkins, whose book The God Delusion is a best-seller, is due to headline the faith-themed Faclan Hebridean Book Festival in the Outer Hebrides – the heartland of the Free Church.

Campaign group the Lord’s Day Observance Society (LDOS) claim it is “hypocritical” and “offensive” to invite him to speak at the event, which also features Christian speakers, in Stornoway in November.

A spokeswoman for Prof Dawkins said a boycott was “another example of typical fundamentalist behaviour”.

The main islands of Lewis and Harris are bastions of strict Presbyterian

http://www.scotsman.com/news/boycott-calls-as-richard-dawkins-heads-for-christian-stronghold-1-2454290

2012/8/8 11:49Profile
IssacharSon

Southeast USA

Re: Boycott calls as Richard Dawkins heads for Christian stronghold

I say "let him speak".

The LDOS could assemble and pray for his soul as he speaks.

Christians believe in freedom, "indeed", we do. Why should we respond to Dawkins as the gay community did to the Pres. of Chik-fil-A? This is an opportunity for the church to show the world how Christ does freedom.

What an opportunity, saints. I'll pray that the Lord directs the LDOS to respond as His people should.

Love-in-Christ,

KP

2012/8/8 13:34Profile
SHMILY

Northern Idaho

Re:

I agree KP.

Since the Hebrides have seen the Spirit come in power more than once, don't you think it would be wonderful if He returned in power while Mr Dawkins is there. A little like Paul. ;)
REJOICE! =)
Mary

2012/8/8 15:42Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re:

I think the Christians there should contend with him. Let the people pray and God do the work.

1 Corinthians 1:20
Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?

1 Corinthians 3:19
For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.

2012/8/8 17:13Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

When we had the revival conference in Greenock, Scotland in 2008 I was amazed with the biblical discernment of the older generation there, they only will hear and believe the Bible. That is a fruit of John Knox's and others ministry in that country.

New Athiesm is a flagrant anti-christian movement that is on level with communism and its goals but in a more scientific approach.

2012/8/8 18:29Profile
FireinmyBones1

Michigan

Re: Boycott calls as Richard Dawkins heads for Christian stronghold

What a beautiful opportunity. Are we scared that his arguements out power our Gospel? If not, then there should be no fear, and most certainly no "boycotting"--which is one of modern Christendom's most bothersome hobbies. I like Dawkins. I hate hit his ideas, but the man himself seems sincere, and probably wounded. The Church ought to show him a ridiculous, supernatural love, and let God do the rest.

I'd say it's time we boycotted boycotting. :)

2012/8/8 21:11Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy