SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Welcome & Intro : What are you?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

What are you?

I have been on here for a long time, enjoyed the interactions with many posters. Many have come and gone since I have been here. Some I communicate with privately; have formed friendships that are inspiring. It is a wonderful place to interact with people from who-knows-where.

In the profile is a place to put one's name. I always miss it when people will not share this info. Putting a name to your handle seems to give one a face, like you are a real person, after all! Otherwise, you are faceless - people may not know whether you are a male or female! and I know some like it this way...but it is still unnerving at times: who am I talking to, anyways, a male or female? Sometimes the name would indicate it but other times it does not.

Anyhow, I just thought I would share this - do not know if anyone else shares this concern, but it does disturb me.

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2012/8/4 11:26Profile

Re: What are you?

I have met, and interacted with at least two women here, over time, who refuse to unveil the fact that they are sisters, and post as if they were men. [ Who I would never betray with exposing them; that is up to them.]

They seem to think that they get less respect as female, and overall reject the "catty" world of feminine "jabber", and the emotionalism and game-playing that they perceive is embedded in the female/Christian Mystique.

This bothers me to GinnyRose...and to me, there is something fraudulent about it; deceptive. There is something subtly manipulative about it; to think that your assumed identity will thrust you into a deeper fellowship, respect and honor, as long as you don the mask of the wise man rather than the Godly lady.

It's kind of creepy with pride, to me. That does not mean that I cannot accept their ideas though, but just the means that they chose to communicate them; insecure and manipulative, as I see it.

If you are reading this; you are safe. I will not hint at who you may really be. I hope you get healed of this unneeded act.

PS: Ginnyrose: you ARE an example of a Godly woman, to me, on this forum! I always appreciate and look for your feedback. Keep up the reality check and fruitful inquisitions....and the kind exhibit of Faith towards God......Tom

2012/8/4 12:28
MaryJane

by ginnyrose on 2012/8/4 5:26:08

I have been on here for a long time, enjoyed the interactions with many posters. Many have come and gone since I have been here. Some I communicate with privately; have formed friendships that are inspiring. It is a wonderful place to interact with people from who-knows-where.

In the profile is a place to put one's name. I always miss it when people will not share this info. Putting a name to your handle seems to give one a face, like you are a real person, after all! Otherwise, you are faceless - people may not know whether you are a male or female! and I know some like it this way...but it is still unnerving at times: who am I talking to, anyways, a male or female? Sometimes the name would indicate it but other times it does not.

Anyhow, I just thought I would share this - do not know if anyone else shares this concern, but it does disturb me.

Blessings,
ginnyrose

I have wondered about this myself. As you know I have shared with you it is a personal conviction not to email privately with a male unless my husband is involved and it does make it really hard when I don't know for sure if the person is a male of female. Screen names are a funny thing, I choose mine when I signed up because it is my name. Maryjane is my actual name but I will admit that for a long time now most around me call me just Mary :)

God Bless
maryjane

2012/8/4 14:03Profile
IssacharSon

Southeast USA

Re:

I agree!

Yet, venues such as this are confusing in where they fall on the "social networking" continuum. I love sharing my faith with you all without necessarily knowing the details regarding individual IDs.

It is sometimes hard to know where the boundaries cross. I rather enjoy sharing my faith without sharing my "self" - I don't know if obscurity is a help or hindrance. But, I do know how I can often get in the way of myself when it comes to my relationship with the Lord.

I respect that SI does not pressure users to divulge too much personal information (this is part of what makes it legit to me). I'm not a Facebook user and am still horrified at how quick we are to blast our images and (what we idealize to be) our identies all over the marketplace. Whoa, when the chickens come home to roost and the social networks start to reap the benefits of encouraging high profile virtual communication. I. e., you may find your image on a cereal box one day and have no idea how it got there.

I don't worry about this happening on SI. We all have a love (and possible slight obsession) with the Word of God in common. If only I could find a local church with at least a smidgeon of the enthusiasm found here for God's Word and Spirit.

Love-in-Christ,

KP

2012/8/4 14:28Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Thank-you, Tom for your kind words.

QUOTE:

They seem to think that they get less respect as female,

This is true, but should it matter? The reality is that if I oppose someone's post/ideas it is not because of gender but because of the idea shared! If there are those who reject what I say because I am a female, that is up to them - my life does not begin and end with who accepts or rejects me! Not all females accept me, either.

I find it creepy, too, when I respond to people when I have no clue what they are. I have to read their writings a long time before I may get a hint of that. But to have females masquerade as males - Oh, oh...oh...

2012/8/4 16:07Profile
mama27

Re:

I have wished from the beginning that I could share my real name and email, but because I have shared personal prayer requests, I have felt it would cause my children to feel betrayed if our total family identity were made public to "strangers"....Obviously my screen name indicates that I am a female, but I have often wondered the same thing.....would there not be a way in the profile section to at least indicate which gender one is???

2012/8/4 16:19Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Perhaps, I should modify my request...Some people have good reasons why they do not list their name in their profile. But could you at least choose a handle that would inform others whether you are a male of female?

Males and females thinking processes are different and it helps a lot to know what you are responding to. Maybe this does not seem important to some but it does to me.

God bless and y'all have a good day in the LORD tomorrow!

ginnyrose

2012/8/4 23:19Profile

Re:

I agree. I would also prefer knowing which gender I'm talking to. Though truth is truth, something like ginnyrose said, I would address one thought differently to a male than I would to a female, and vice versa. Even though the truth would be the same, the delivery would be different, if that makes sense?

I think in general though, people are too cowardly online, and they like the idea of anonymity, because then they can pretend to be whoever they think they are, or who they think they'd like to be. I think we would be surprised at how different some (though not all) would be if we met them face to face.

2012/8/5 3:11

Re:

I have updated my profile information in the "Extra Info" line, I've put "Male".

For anyone who is uncomfortable putting their name out there in cyberspace, they can at least submit their gender in that spot.

Greg may at some point require that that be included for future memberships, if he deems it necessary.

2012/8/5 23:25

Re:

That is interesting, because I have had some call me brother, and I was surprised because where I come from Lee was a female name. I hate to correct someone because I don't want to embarrass them, but I sure don't want someone to think I am a man.
I put Padah as my last name, because in Hebrew it means ransom.
So now I will just sign out Lisa Elaine, hope that helps.

2012/8/5 23:44

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy