Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : depression

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
mloaks

So. MD, USA

depression

With all the press antidepressants are getting lately, what is the lounge's take on them, from a spiritual and medical standpoint?
Sure has made my life better, and I have never felt 'screened' from the Spirit's leading or convicting, but I'd like some beleiver's opinions.

2005/2/18 11:26Profile
moreofHim

Re: depression

I know we've run this through the forum before somewhere. I bet Mike is scanning the archives right now trying to find the old posts. :-P

But since you brought it up, I read this in "My Utmost For His Highest" yesterday about depression. I am very familiar with this myself.

February 17
Taking the Initiative Against Depression

-------

Arise and eat
—1 Kings 19:5
--------

The angel in this passage did not give Elijah a vision, or explain the Scriptures to him, or do anything remarkable. He simply told Elijah to do a very ordinary thing, that is, to get up and eat. If we were never depressed, we would not be alive—only material things don’t suffer depression. If human beings were not capable of depression, we would have no capacity for happiness and exaltation. There are things in life that are designed to depress us; for example, things that are associated with death. Whenever you examine yourself, always take into account your capacity for depression.

When the Spirit of God comes to us, He does not give us glorious visions, but He tells us to do the most ordinary things imaginable. Depression tends to turn us away from the everyday things of God’s creation. But whenever God steps in, His inspiration is to do the most natural, simple things-things we would never have imagined God was in, but as we do them we find Him there. The inspiration that comes to us in this way is an initiative against depression. But we must take the first step and do it in the inspiration of God. If, however, we do something simply to overcome our depression, we will only deepen it. But when the Spirit of God leads us instinctively to do something, the moment we do it the depression is gone. As soon as we arise and obey, we enter a higher plane of life.

2005/2/18 11:36Profile
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Re:

[i]"Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God."[/i] - 2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Jesus himself was comforted by the Father in the garden, for it said the Lord sent angels to minister to him in that time of anguish.

Smith Wigglesworth said a great thing... I don't have the quote but I'll do my best to recreate:

"If I receieve relaxation (which can be comfort, or whatnot) from any other source besides the Lord Jesus I am opening myself to danger from the evil one."

How true it is too, for God has lavished upon us all we need to overcome this world, that if we set our hopes on something else to minister to us we become worldy, and thus by being worldy take our eyes of the one who makes prayers for us continually before the Father.

Blessed be Your wonderful Name, Jesus Christ, Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me! (Psalm 23)

In Christ,
-Eli

2005/2/18 12:05Profile
Gideons

Virginia

Re:

I'll simply address this from my own perspective, with the acknowledgement that this is what the Lord has shown me regarding the state of my own heart. In other words, this is not a blanket statement about depression.

I was depressed for 20 years, which included hospitalization, medication for most of that 20 years, and therapies of different kinds all to no avail.

When I came to myself (as the prodigal son did), Jesus broke this depression by the power of the blood. He broke it. 1 Peter 2:24 He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed.

I have spent a considerable amount of time praying about where the depression came from and was shown two specific sins in my heart. First, was unbelief and the second was rebellion. So the Lord has been purging these things out of my life.

There's no blood in medicine but I know sometimes the Lord uses medicine. But I also believe in the great power of the blood of Jesus to break all rebellion, purge all unbelief, and as he has done that the fruit of the Spirit has sprung up in my Heart.

It's the power of the blood of Jesus. Real power in this life. Thank you Jesus.

2005/2/18 13:20Profile
TonyS

Kansas City, Missouri

Chanin,

As always, I enjoyed your post. I will confess I have not always had the attitude toward mental health that I have now. Ministering in a mental health facility each week surely has helped my understanding.

There was a time I would mock the idea of depression, particularly in the context of Christianity and the believer. Don’t those believers know God has given them a “sound mind” I would muse. What could a believer be depressed about when our name is written in the lambs book of life? Full of pride and as well full of the leaven of the Pharisees I was.

I did not take this attitude toward physical ailments though? I had compassion on a believer suffering from cancer, heart attack ect…

I have repented of this, but the damage has been done from past years of this attitude in my interaction with those suffering from mental illness.

I hope to spend my remaining years ministering a complete Gospel, that will make for complete converts, that speaks to the whole man both mental and physical.

In Christ,
tony

2005/2/18 16:16Profile

Re: wwwooooohhhhhooooo Gideons

I think you nailed the most common cause of depression exactly. Unbelief and rebellion. However, having said that, I do believe that some of it can be caused by chemical imbalance, and from demonic intervention as in child molestation. Depression is a horrible prison. And you are so right, only the blood of Jesus and it's wonder working power can break it's yoke on a person. Thanks be to God.

2005/2/18 17:34
Gideons

Virginia

Re:

Yes, I agree Brother Lahry. We saw that King David, even though he was a man after God's own heart, suffered depression at times. If sin always the cause? Probably not, but that's something we should ask the Lord in the prayer closet. That's why I would not paint with a broad brush.

Our difficulties, great and small, are an opportunity to see the power of God move once we surrender that to Him. As long as we're trying to fix it, He is not going to move. That's a Biblical principle I've learned the hard way.

He is God and I'm not. Once I giving up being God, there is a release that is so sweet it's hard to explain but it's sweet and it's the fruit of the Spirit.

2005/2/18 17:41Profile
Spitfire

This is one of my favorite all-time quotes by a fellow named Ray Hughes (Selah Ministries).

"You show me someone who's depressed, and I'll show you an intercessor who isn't praying."

2005/2/18 17:50Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re:

Quote:
February 17
Taking the Initiative Against Depression

-------

Arise and eat
—1 Kings 19:5
--------

Yesterday while reading this, I was again amazed about the simplicity of the truth and the gospel.
God's truths are for shepherds and for scientists, for kids and grandmothers, learned and unlettered.

Arise and eat.
Think for a moment about your body. You need food for living.
How much more about you spirit.
Arise and eat.

God Bless
Kire

2005/2/18 21:15Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Reference Threads

Quote:
I know we've run this through the forum before somewhere. I bet Mike is scanning the archives right now trying to find the old posts.

:-)

Always glad to help...

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=1862&forum=35&post_id=&refresh=Go]Depression and Christians[/url]

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=2290&forum=36&post_id=&refresh=Go]Mental Disorders... Spiritual?[/url]

2005/2/18 23:57Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy