SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : "The Cost of Disciplship" by Dietrich Bonhoeffer Book Study Thread

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
IssacharSon

Southeast USA

"The Cost of Disciplship" by Dietrich Bonhoeffer Book Study Thread

Greetings, Saints!

For those whom have purchased the book pull it from the back of your shelf, it is still available at the link below:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Cost-Discipleship-Dietrich-Bonhoeffer/dp/0684815001

Prices range from:

- Paperback (Used) = $3.73 - $5.83
- Paperback (New) = $6.78 - $10.77
- Hardcover (Used) = $38.00
- Audio, CD, Audio Book,
MP3 Audio, Unabridged = $12.50 - $17.98
- Kindle Edition (New) = $12.99

Phew!

just a few basic ground rules to respect each other as well as the author:

(1) We have one simple objective: To use DB' book "The Cost of Discipleship" as a tool for interpreting NT scripture regarding Christ's training and teaching of the Twelve on how to live a blessed life as a follower of Christ in this particular age of the church.

DB's book explicitly and poignantly describes some of the challenges and misunderstandings that go along with living a life of discipleship in this current age of church history. [Some issues have already been debated in too great detail in posts preceding this book club thread]. However, I hope the sometimes "Book Burning" demeanor of our colleagues have not discouraged you from sharing such a beautiful interpretation of the examined life for the disciple of Christ.

(2) Please lets' study this book as it relates to the NT scripture which it often refers to as a prelude to many chapters, and NOT read into it as some distorted political Third Reich pamphleteer attempting to discredit DB as some kind of clandestine "Anti-Christ", out to promote his own socialized agenda through active participation in the German Resistance culminating with the destruction and assassination of the Nazi Fascist Dictatorship of Adolf Hitler.

WHOA! There!! Crazy Horse! WHOA!

This is not an historical survey of Germany's roles in WWII (as all evil, that is for the Lord to judge), but rather, the study of a man who loved the Lord just as much as you and I do. So much so, that he devoted his privileged life into one of worship; a spiritual love where, using philosophy as the handmaiden theology, wrote down his hearts aspirations to become a disciple of Our Lord Jesus. This became the subject of many of his books and devotionals, even in prison, he wrote love letters to His Lord.

Please join me as I reread this book and see if it inspires you to self-examine your own walk with Christ as merely that of a "Christian" or a "Disciple".

This book, which I am delighted to read again, alongside God's Holy Scripture, made me reevaluate my own life (as I do every day), relationships, circumstances, goals, reactions, most importantly my relationship with God's Word, prayer, my love for others and how it is exemplified, my reactions to disappointments, sufferings, everything...

... until it brings me to the altar of self-judgment where the Lord's wisdom waits with a mirror reflecting faith, virtue, knowledge, self-control, patience, godliness, brotherly affection, love and forgiveness - the symbols of a fruitful life -

"for if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins.
(II Peter 2: 3-9).

If you are willing to fellowship with me in a systematic study of God' Word, while the debaters, haters, and troublemakers continue chasing their tails like "lions which grow weak and hungry".

I am ready to open my Bible and the Introduction to Bonhoeffer to straighten my walk as Christ's disciple. I have I am ready to start as one of those looking forward to opening my Bible and the book gifted by the grace of Christ to be written by Our Lord's disciple, Dietrich Bonhoeffer and learn more about the joys of seeking The Lord Jesus as His Disciple.

I am not afraid of deception, as His Word promises;

Taste and see that the Lord is good;
blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.
9 Fear the Lord, you his holy people,
for those who fear him lack nothing.
10 The lions may grow weak and hungry,
but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.
11 Come, my children, listen to me;
I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
12 Whoever of you loves life
and desires to see many good days,
13 keep your tongue from evil
and your lips from telling lies.
14 Turn from evil and do good;
seek peace and pursue it. (Psalm 34: 8-14)

I hope to be joining you all at the thread on "The Cost of Discipleship". This week we will discuss the "Introduction"

"Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” (Luke 10: 42f)

2012/7/28 20:45Profile
MaryJane

Re: "The Cost of Disciplship" by Dietrich Bonhoeffer Book Study Thread

by IssacharSon on 2012/7/28 14:45:31:I hope to be joining you all at the thread on "The Cost of Discipleship". This week we will discuss the "Introduction"

Greetings

After prayerful consideration I will join you in reading this book as I am eager to hear what the LORD might be showing others through this mans words.

I don't really have any insights to share from reading the introduction right at the moment though. I will probably wait and share more in Chapter 1.

God Bless and thank you for the thread :)
mj

2012/7/28 21:43Profile

Re:

God bless you as you study this rich treasure. Read it years ago and was blessed. I heard that Secretary of State Hillery Clinton read this book when she was 16 years old.

I would love to join you. But too much on plate. Look forward to reading your insights.

Bearmaster.

2012/7/28 22:22
MaryJane

My thoughts from the introduction

Portion from the introduction- When the Bible speaks of following Jesus, it is proclaiming a discipleship which will liberate mankind from all man-made dogmas, from every burden and repression, from every anxiety and torture witch afflicts the conscience. If they follow Jesus, men escape from the hard yoke of their own law, and submit to the kindly yoke of Jesus Christ.. But does this mean that we ignore the seriousness of his commands? Far from it. We can only achieve perfect liberty and enjoy fellowship with Jesus when his command, his call to absolute discipleship is appreciated in its entirety. Only the man who follows the command of Jesus single-mindely and unresistingly lets his yoke rest upon him, finds his burdens easy and under its gentle pressure receives the power to perseverance in the right way. The command of Jesus is hard, unutterable hard for those who try to resist it. But for those who willingly submit the yoke is easy, and the burden is light. “His commandments are not grievous.”(1John 5;3)

Greetings
I went back and reread the introduction again and as I was seeking God and what HE might have for me I see again the truth that true liberty does only come from following and obeying CHRIST. There have been times when I find my self “striving” to obey instead of just keeping my focus on JESUS. This is when my burden is heavy and unbearable. JESUS does give me freedom in HIM but that does not mean I have the freedom to go my own way in sin. The opposite is true, I only find real peace, rest, and fellowship when I submit to HIM and walk in HIS commands. GOD may ask things of me that in my flesh I do not wish to do but this is where dying to self comes into play, I must take up my cross daily and submit my life daily unto HIM. The real beauty in all of this is that JESUS HIMSELF gives me all strength that I need to do this moment by moment of each day!

God bless
mj

2012/7/29 10:11Profile

Re: My thoughts from the introduction

HI saints,

I have highlighted this from the introduction(p37)

"The command of Jesus is hard, unuttarably hard, for those who try to resist it.But for those who willingly submit, the yoke is easy and the burden is light."

This small portion for me sets up the bok very well. As any saint knows, in the flesh the sermon on the mount is an impossible series of commands. I can only imagine what the Israelites though as they listend to the words of the Lord. In the context of who Israel was and had been for over 1000 years at that point, this ran counter to everything they knew. Jesus was truly a revolutionary and He had come to turn the world upside down.

I would add one thing to the above quote. The command of Jesus is hard, unuttarably hard for those who try to resist and for those who try to follow in their own strength. One can follow the commands, for instance, of our governments because they do not want to suffer the punishments. For example, one may not speed because if one gets caught there would be a ticket and a fine to pay. The truly good citizen would not speed even if there was no speed limit. And so, one can try to follow the commands of the Lord because one is supposed to, but the saint who has been broken and is yielded, will be obedient because of love not because of punishment.And when one walks in love and a desie to please the one that He has encountered and is known by, then that one will find that the " yoke is easy and the burden if light." ............bro Frank

PS , that was a good opening post.

2012/7/29 11:45
MaryJane

Re:

One can follow the commands, for instance, of our governments because they do not want to suffer the punishments. For example, one may not speed because if one gets caught there would be a ticket and a fine to pay. The truly good citizen would not speed even if there was no speed limit. And so, one can try to follow the commands of the Lord because one is supposed to, but the saint who has been broken and is yielded, will be obedient because of love not because of punishment.And when one walks in love and a desie to please the one that He has encountered and is known by, then that one will find that the " yoke is easy and the burden if light." ............bro Frank

I had not thought about it in that way before Frank. I was so focused on obeying the law of the land when I drive because I did not want a ticket and because it did not interfere in my walk with CHRIST to obey so I never considered the attitude of my heart when I was doing so...interesting and challenging observation, since GOD does look at the attitude of our hearts there is wisdom in examine why I do what I do. Of course the desire I want to have is to submit to HIM in all things because of who HE is not just because I have to or to avoid punishment.

God Bless
maryjane

2012/7/30 10:54Profile
MaryJane

Re: "The Cost of Disciplship" by Dietrich Bonhoeffer Book Study Thread

Greetings IssacharSon

Was wondering if you were still planing on doing this book club study?

God bless
maryjane

2012/8/5 19:03Profile
IssacharSon

Southeast USA

Re: Chapters 1-2

Though I love this book, I do not like the first chapter.
I wasted time doodling all of these silly little notes and symbols in the margins trying to maintain the distinctions DB makes between "cheap" and "costly" grace.

Were any of you embarrassed when you first read about the possibility of "cheapening" God's grace? I was. Is that what I have done with the faith you have given me? Lord God?!?

Chapter One made me question "what in the world is grace, anyway?" If you had the opportunity, the first 50 or so pages of this book is truly a striking, crackling fingersnap over the temple. One that makes you wince but thankfully, ever so gratefully "Snap out of it!"

DB's first chapter describes grace as being cheapened or priceless.

I read the first chapter with my eyes closed most of the time because of the recognition I had with the utter hideousness of what he described as:

*Cheap grace
- the enemy
- presumptuous
- a "system" or doctrine
- without contrition
- desireless
- "a denial of the living Word of God"
- "everything can be had for nothing"
- a justification of sin
- self-bestowed
- unrepentent
- worldly
- dove sellers
and worst of ALL...

...without the Cross...without Jesus Christ.

How? Yet, so. How in the world does a Christian start or end here. Does the church know about this? Why would a Christian / Disciple allow even a moment in such a state...and yet, DB had embarrassingly described the majority of my Christian walk. I hated this chapter with sadness. I understood the heat of an anger as it waxes like Christ's fury in John 2:15.

If a reader of this book could only glean a paragraph of each end of the spectrum of a man's potential in responding to God's grace, you would see clearly where your life stands, what it stands for, and all of that which you have lost or gained in Christ will be justified.

I'm still in Chapter 2 where DB refreshes our concept of "absolutism" as it applies to man's response to Christ's "call". And I don't mean "calling", which seems to linger too much beyond the quick draw of His "call!!!"

It's like...an instant reflex in responding to Christ's which echoes through eternity. When Christs calls, it's like a snapshot of you is taken...and that is YOU! No explanation, excuses nor tying of the shoelaces needed. He calls...faith...your response...action! And Brother James leaves the room with the echo of James 2:16 reverberating through the inertia.

Love-in-Christ,

KP

2012/8/6 18:07Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings
I really liked the first chapter because I found myself being pointed to the cross and CHRIST. The reminder that my salvation, my life it cost GOD so very much struck such a cord within in my heart.

Here are two quotes from the first chapter of The Cost of Discipleship.

"Above all it is costly because it cost God the life of his Son. “ye were bought at a price,” and what has cost GOD much cannot be cheap for us. Above all, it is grace because God did not reckon his Son to dear a price to pay for our life, but delivered him up for us, Costly grace is the Incarnation of God.

Such grace is costly because it calls us to follow Jesus Christ, it is costly because it condemns the sin, and grace because it justifies the sinner.

My thoughts:Reading over this portion in the first chapter of the book got me thinking on the cost...what it cost JESUS so that I might have life. As I prayed and meditated the LORD brought these verses to mind.

Luke 22:40-46
40And when he was at the place, he said unto them, Pray that ye enter not into temptation.
41And he was withdrawn from them about a stone's cast, and kneeled down, and prayed,
42Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.
43And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him.
44And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.
45And when he rose up from prayer, and was come to his disciples, he found them sleeping for sorrow,
46And said unto them, Why sleep ye? rise and pray, lest ye enter into temptation.

Matthew 26:67-68
Then they spat in His face and beat Him; and others struck Him with the palms of their hands, 68saying, “Prophesy to us, Christ! Who is the one who struck You?”

Luke 23-32There were also two others, criminals, led with Him to be put to death. 33And when they had come to the place called Calvary, there they crucified Him, and the criminals, one on the right hand and the other on the left. 34Then Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do.”

Luke 23:44-46Now it was about the sixth hour, and there was darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour. 45Then the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was torn in two. 46And when Jesus had cried out with a loud voice, He said, “Father, ‘into Your hands I commit My spirit.’” Having said this, He breathed His last.

My conclusions: As JESUS prayed, suffered, and died, a very high price was being paid. A penalty and punishment that HE did not deserve was being full filled by HIM for my sake. I realized that there can never be compromise in my walk, there can never be a flippant or careless attitude of “oh well God will forgive me” when it comes to sin. My sin cost HIM dearly and HE suffered and paid that price for me, the grace HE offers is freely given to me but it is not cheap and never should be taken for granted. I want to be mindful not to trample on the grace of GOD with my attitude, or actions.

God bless
maryjane

2012/8/7 13:32Profile
IssacharSon

Southeast USA

Chapter 3

MaryJane said:

"The reminder that my salvation, my life it cost GOD so very much struck such a cord within in my heart."

DB wrote in Chapter 3 "The Call to Discipleship":

- "Unbelief thrives on cheap grace"

- "It is now time to take the bull by the horns, and say: 'Only those who obey believe'"

- "Thus the flow of conversation is interrupted, and the pastor can continue: 'You are disobedient, you are trying to keep some part of your life under your own control. That is what is preventing you from listening to Christ and believing in his grace. You cannot hear Christ because you are wilfully disobedient. Somewhere in your heart you are refusing to listen to his call. Your difficulty is your sins'"

Okay, I'm going to slowly pull the dagger out of my heart now.

This was so harsh to read. I needed a visor. This is what is really going on when we do not answer to His call. As much as I needed to deny this - God just wouldn't allow me to get away with it. I had to stop and pray for forgiveness (again) declaring, "and I ate".

I'm still in this chapter and can't easily pass over the new logic DB introduces in a = a. I would grasp at logic to help me escape the fact that:

OBEDIENCE = FAITH

So, like I pray to God for faith, I must also pray for "obedience".

There is something about the concept of obedience which makes this seem so much harder than it should be, as I tend to link it to an "act of the will". I always make myself responsible for my own obedience. Yet, I am not responsible for providing my own faith. How do I rely on God for obedience as I do for faith?

I feel almost like something needs to happen in the way we teach "obedience" to our children. It is very, very hard for me to see faith and obedience coming from the same source?!? I was taught wrongly about what it means "to obey". There's too much action associated with this word and not enough associated with the word "faith".

According to DB, "obedience" is supposed to be almost "spontaneous". And that we give too much to doubt and reflection for this to happen ("Cost of Discipleship" pg. 62)

For Simon Peter, "obedience" started with "dropping his nets". The proper response to Christ's call. This is what I need to do.

On pages 62 thru the rest of Chapter 3, DB starts to describe the steps one takes in responding to Christ's call, using the example from Luke 9: 57-62.

What hooked me in this chapter is this:

Christ calls us to a new situation in which we follow Him into expriences which make faith possible. He calls us to go out of our situation in which we cannot believe...

Love-in-Christ,

KP

2012/8/7 15:54Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy