SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Quiet time! Best in the Morning or Evening?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Holyhands

Quiet time! Best in the Morning or Evening?

I have wondered about this one for years! I have changed about 6 months ago to the morning rather than evening as i found i kept falling asleep! Is there anything in the bible which encourages us to get up early in the morning and seek him? rather than at night ready for the next day? In the morning i have often just not been able to focus my eyes on the page!!! Although i like giving order to the day by focusing on Jesus when i get up!

2005/2/17 17:51Profile

Re: Quiet time! Best in the Morning or Evening?

I personally think it depends on your own body clock. I have tried praying early in the morning so many times as people have told me it is better but I have only really managed 'resting in the Spirit' :-D and just cannot seem to keep my eyes open!

I like to pray before bed as I am, strangley enough' most awake then and can concentrate better. It does have it's drawbacks sometimes though if it gets too late. I reckon that as long as you spend time with the Lord then I am not sure that it matters when. I can't think of any logical reasons why it should matter. I try to pray quickly in the morning as well (although sometimes I forget) as I think that it can start your day off on the right footing but my main prayer time is at night.

2005/2/17 18:23

morning, with coffee. I have that luxury to get with God at that time, both via reading the Word and in prayer.

At night also, but morning is for me.

2005/2/17 18:43
philologos

Reading, UK

As for me, I will call upon God; and the LORD shall save me. [u]Evening[/u], and [u]morning[/u], and [u]at noon[/u], will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice. (Psa 55:16-17 KJV)

I have always liked this quotation from Spurgeon:
"Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray.” Often, but none too often. Seasons of great need call for frequent seasons of devotion. The three periods chosen are most fitting; to begin, continue, and end the day with God is supreme wisdom. [u]Where time has naturally set up a boundary, there let us set up an altar-stone.[/u] The Psalmist means that he will always pray; he will run a line of prayer right along the day and track the sun with his petitions. Day and night he saw his enemies busy (Psa_55:10), and therefore he would meet their activity by continuous prayer."
An interesting feature is the order the psalmist uses here. For the Hebrew the beginning of the day was evening! "the evening and the morning were the first day". There is a great psychology here too; today began yesterday!

2005/2/17 18:54Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Quote:
Is there anything in the bible which encourages us to get up early in the morning and seek him?

There are many verses that encourage this, here are just a few, I have included some snips from Charles Spurgeons [i]Treasury of David[/i] after each verse.

[b]My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O LORD; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up.[/b](Psalms 5:3)
“In the morning.” This is the fittest time for intercourse with God. An hour in the morning is worth two in the evening. While the dew is on the grass, let grace drop upon the soul. Let us give to God the mornings of our days and the morning of our lives. Prayer should be the key of the day and the lock of the night. Devotion should be both the morning star and the evening star.

[b]Awake up, my glory; awake, psaltery and harp: I myself will awake early.[/b](Psalms 57:8)
I will awake the dawn with my joyous notes. No sleepy verses and weary notes shall be heard from; I will thoroughly arouse myself for this high employ. When we are at our best we fall far short of the Lord's deserts, let us, therefore, make sure that what we bring him is our best, and, if marred with infirmity, at least let it not be deteriorated by indolence. Three times the Psalmist calls upon himself to awake. Do we need so much arousing, and for such work? Then let us not spare it, for the engagement is too honourable, too needful to be left undone or ill done for want of arousing ourselves.

[b]O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is;[/b](Psalms 63:1)
“Early will I seek thee.” Possession breeds desire. Full assurance is no hindrance to diligence, but is the mainspring of it. How can I seek another man's God? but it is with ardent desire that I seek after him whom I know to be my own. Observe the eagerness implied in the time mentioned; he will not wait for noon or the cool eventide; he is up at cockcrowing to meet his God. Communion with God is so sweet that the chill of the morning is forgotten, and the luxury of the couch is despised. The morning is the time for dew and freshness, and the Psalmist consecrates it to prayer and devout fellowship. The best of men have been betimes on their knees. The word “early” has not only the sense of early in the morning, but that of eagerness, immediateness. He who truly longs for God longs for him now.

In Christ,

Ron

2005/2/17 19:07Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

I pray for awhile in the morning. I carry a small new testement with me and when ever i get a couple minutes, i read. I also try to read and pray at night too.

2005/2/17 20:24Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

I will tell you, I used to be a nighttime devotions person because I am so [i]not[/i] a morning person. I would hear it taught in church that in the morning was the best, and inside I got all defensive [laughs]. But... I don't know, maybe God slowly worked on my heart because then a pastor from our church, Miles DeBenedictis, taught from Exodus 16, I believe, where the people of Israel gathered manna each morning.

[b]"Then the LORD said to Moses, 'Look, I'm going to rain down food from heaven for you. The people can go out each day and pick up as much food as they need for that day. I will test them in this to see whether they will follow My instructions. Tell them to pick up twice as much as usual on the sixth day of each week'...

The people gathered the food [u]morning[/u] by [u]morning[/u], each family according to its need. And as the sun became hot, the food they had not picked up melted and disappeared." - Exodus 16:4-5, 21[/b]

He paralleled the food from heaven in the Old Testament to the Bread of Life, the Word of God in the New Testament. So, he said like the people of Israel who gathered the manna each morning, so we should be in God's Word in the morning. When the morning passed, the hot sun melted the manna. In the same way, as soon as we start our day, we end up getting busy and then find by the end of the day that we don't have time to get in the Word. Pretty soon we find ourselves neglecting devotions day after day.

[b]"Then Moses told them, 'Do not keep any of it overnight.' But of course, some of them didn't listen and kept some of it until morning. By then it was full of maggots and had a terrible smell. Moses was very angry with them." - Exodus 16:19-20[/b]

He used that passage to illustrate the importance of having [i]daily[/i] devotions. We can't live off of what we read in the Word yesterday, or the day before, or last week. We'll spiritually starve if we do that. We have to feed ourselves daily, each morning (if you're convinced) with the food from heaven, the Word of God.

So... I do read in the morning now. But you know, I want to snack on the Word during my lunch break, and before bed now as well. Just like it was posted from the Psalms, I believe, we're to seek the Lord morning, noon and night - continously. Really, we shouldn't be fitting God into our schedule. We should be submitting our life to His schedule, prioritizing our activities according to what He sees as important. And, uh, reading His Word is one of those pretty darn important things!

2005/2/17 20:47Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

A good sermon to listen to about this would be Keith Green- Devotions or Devotion?

2005/2/17 20:57Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Spurgeon

Quote:
There is a great psychology here too; today began yesterday!

"The Psalmist means that he will always pray; he will run a line of prayer right along the day and track the sun with his petitions."

This is a great quote Ron! Thank you!

2005/2/18 0:23Profile

Re:

I have found that there is no substitute for early prayer. E.M. Bounds (Power Through Prayer) said: "The men who have done the most for God in this world have been early on their knees. He who fritters away the early morning - its opportunity and freshness - in other pursuits than seeking God will make poor headway seeking Him the rest of the day. If God is not first in our thoughts and efforts in the morning, He will be last during the remainder of the day." I am not a morning person and I struggle to get out of bed each morning...but the rewards are great!!!

2005/2/18 1:52

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy