SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Discerning the voice of God

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Blayne

Re:

Hi! 'Jer2'

Wow, I just realized that, while I may be enjoying a renewed mind which is attached to my spiritual existence, my earthly mind seems to increasingly suffer from a form of OLD-Zymers.
I just returned to your Blog and the Comment function was exactly as you stated it; my Old-Zymers musttah' kicked in at the first time I was visiting.
Not a problem, I successfully Posted a Comment.
I'll happily help you fill in some Pages at your Site with whatever you wish to discuss; jus' to get yuh happily goin' an' stuff. Who knows? Lots of people stumble into Blogs jus' from a Google Search. That's how I myself discovered SermonIndex. So, if we effort to give your Blog more content, you could soon have a nice blessing going on over there.

2012/7/22 16:45Profile
Blayne

Re:

Hi! 'InTheLight'

This is EXACTLY what was missing in this Thread. WOW! Your comments are so suitable and unbelievably instructive! They were very much needed.
Thanks alot for droppin' in and sharing your very wise thoughts.

2012/7/22 16:49Profile
lindi1208

Re: Discerning the voice of God

Hi saints

Wonderful topic that is relevant to us all as believers! Just wanted to share my own experience. I find that the way that God speaks to me the most is through His word! Most of the time in many situations I hear His voice through a scripture. It seems to me He has an appropriate scripture for any situation I find myself mussing over.

For example yesterday I was feeling discouraged and this scripture came to mind "Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, to which you are also called, and have professed a good profession before many witnesses." 1 Tim 6 v12.

The other day when having temptaing thoughts this thought came to mind that as believers we have to beware and careful of sin which so easily ensnares. I was then reminded that there is this scripture in the bible so I went searching for it and it's Hebrews 12 v 1"Therefore seeing we also are surrounded with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which does so easily ensnare us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,"

I believe with all my heart that this was God ministering to me as I have been so weary of late. There are many ways He speaks to us. For me it's mainly through His word. I know it's His voice because I, for a fact have not memorised scriptures but somehow as I go through this walk with Him I recall scriptures which suit whatever situation I am facing at that moment and I know it's not by own intelligence or strenght. Right now as I am typing this He is speaking to me reminding me that The work of the Holy Spirit is to bring us to remembrance the things Jesus has taught us. Isn't God so amazing!

Love in Christ!

2012/7/22 18:40Profile
ET101

Re:

Thank you everyone. I'm richly instructed with your experiences. The things people shared witnesses to me (it's not outside of the bounds of my walk with Jesus). I've taken note and I'm being instructed (e.g. about the prayer journal).
Thank you.

2012/7/23 1:41Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

ET101: My primary advice to you is to begin to spend great amounts of time studying the written word of God at the exclusion of other books, television, talk radio, movies, entertainments, etc. This foundation of the Word is the filter through which we run each thing that we sense that God is saying. We must have that firm foundation. Second, I would say that you need to obey the word from the Lord that you have written down. You may already do this. I am not implying that you don't. I just know that this is probably the primary key to discerning God's voice.

You see, it is possible for us to miss it where hearing and discerning the voice of the Lord is concerned. It is because we are human and our soul realm (human mind, intellect, will, emotions) often get in the way. I know I have had my emotions and my own will masquerade as the voice of the Lord before. I think that this is a pretty normal experience.

The second most important thing, in my estimation, is to spend much time with the Lord. Develop a habit of continuing prayer. I find myself praying at all times, working, playing, resting, driving, etc. I am usually not praying "about" anything but rather worshiping Him, praising Him, thanking Him and generally spending time in His presence. I think this is important.

Third, don't necessarily expect every flitting thought or impression to be from God. I can sometimes pray and at some point realize I have stopped praying and am thinking about all sorts of other things. Do expect God to speak to you, but don't over-analyze each thought.

Hope that perspective helps a bit.

2012/7/23 21:23Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, how i have judged these words from God is very simple... if it benefits me it is out of my own spirit. if it benefits others it is usually God.it is good to think of yourself as an idiot of sorts so that when a wonderful word comes ,you realize it did not originate within you.(me)...35 years ago, my pastor had an invitation and during it he said that you cannot join the church for we had no membership rolls, that there were many good churches in and around baton rouge you could go to(true).. the Lord told me to tell him that if he kept on sending people off that God would add bountifully to the church so that we would have at least 3 campuses and much larger buildings to hold the church. we had about 500 at the time in 1 location and now we have 3 locations with nearly 20000 atending.jimp

2012/7/23 22:06Profile
proudpapa

How does an infant discern or learn to discern the voice of there parents??

How does an Ox or Horse in a Yoke Discern or rather learn to discern the will Of His Master??

What is going on inside while they are learning to discern??

What is it to be led and Walk in the Spirit??

The Question is do we have the Faith to take on the Yoke and be led by the Spirit rather than being led by our Reason our rational Carnal (sarx) Mind.

2012/7/23 22:22Profile

Re:

The old Quakers had the answer to this one. It was `stand in the light you are given and you will be given more light`.

Basically it means that it is pointless to try to hear God if you are not doing the things He has already shown you.

That nagging inside that you have ignored, either to do something or not to do something, if it is ignored, will mean the light is withdrawn.

The Lord will answer this question with the first thing that comes into your mind of you ask Him where the problem is. Catch it before Satan comes in with excuses.

2012/7/24 3:22
ET101

Re:

Thank you all again.

Travis: super advice, thank you. I had stopped putting good long time slots aside each day for reading the word. I have bibles, commentaries, dictionaries. . .but lacked the discipline. So I'm cutting out other things again and going back to several hours a day of reading and studying! Thank you!

2012/7/24 3:23Profile
ET101

Re:

krautfrau, one of the things I have sensed God say to me is basically to 'raise my game in faith in Christ.' It basically means discipline, order, focus, cutting out life-chatter, prayer, study and hardwork. I agree; I think as I obey, God will grant more understanding, clarity and a closer walk.

Thank you all. I consider my question answered.

2012/7/24 3:30Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy