Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Generational curses

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

I think Paul has it right. As to the "junk" from the past, I would add this. It is often true, in fact more often than not, that a young man or young woman will follow after the patterns of behavior that they were raised under. In my own family, my grandfather had a brother who was a drunkard. His sons followed his example and few of that line ever served the Lord. My grandfather followed the Lord and taught his children to do the same. As a result, very few of his line do not follow the Lord.

This is not a curse in the sense that these children were cursed generationally and something must be broken. This is simply the result of training children in the way they should or should not go. The notion of generational curses under the new covenant is, in my opinion, totally unscriptural.

2012/7/23 21:32Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, brothewr ravenhill was a big believer in tracking generations . he said that if you tracked jonathan edwards you will see nothing but great men and women and then he said if you tracked the worse criminal in england(whose name i have forgotten) you will see nothing but the dregs of society.jimp the jews always track their lineage,as seen in the bible and carries forth til today.jimp

2012/7/23 22:26Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: Spiritual Forensics

This is a chapter from my book "Understanding Mortification" which deals somewhat with what this thread is about. I hope it sheds some light on how the powers of darkness really operate under the New Covenant. If one is interested in the book, just send an email and I'll attach the book (pdf) in reply. God bless. Brother Paul

Spiritual Forensics

As we sojourn throughout this world as children of God, a battle to revert us back to our pre-converted bondage in Adam is constantly being waged within our minds (Ephesians 2:1-3; 4:22-24; I Peter 1:14). The mind of a believer is like a computer database, with thousands of files surfacing within it throughout the day. Some of these files are internal components from old downloads while others are maliciously injected from an outside host. Although it is not necessary to determine whether a file is imported or exported to maintain an undefiled conscience, an accurate discernment of its nature is required if the Christian is to mortify with effectiveness.

We have all done many shameful things in the past while we lived for the lusts of our flesh according to the spirit of disobedience. Many of these past doings have become embedded in our minds and are able to be recalled. The resurfacing of these files needs to be daily mortified or “put off” to make way for the “putting on” of the new man’s files (Colossians 3:5-10). The powers of the air that control the ebbing and flowing of the world are forensic experts at resurrecting these old, corrupted files from the reserve banks of our memory.

Their tactic is to whisper impure suggestions that seem to come from our core being, with the strategy of allowing us to think the thoughts are intrinsically ours. When we unwittingly embrace and nurture these rogue impulses, we put ourselves back under the bondage of darkness and immediately lose our peace with God. In order to prevent spiritual strongholds from developing, we must be able to scan the legitimacy of these suggestions, unmask their wicked genesis and then shield them from the gateway of the mind (Galatians 5:1; Ephesians 5:11).

There are myriads of ways the powers of darkness can assault our senses in order to bring up a file. They can use an old song or photograph to trigger an image or impulse to surface in the mind. If mortification is eschewed, the flesh will be vivified to the hurt of our inner men. The impure recollections will then intensify to keep the corrupt files near to the surface of the mind, thus overwhelming the good files, which are meant to replace them. This is the enemy’s strategy.

Dear saints, we must be quick in our banishment of these impure ruminations. Paul himself exercised mental restraint in this area, as disclosed in his letter to the believers in Philippi: “Forgetting those things which are behind me…” (Phil. 3:13-14). One can only imagine the effort of mortification on Paul’s part to keep at bay the tainted memories of a man who, according to the testimony of the Holy Spirit, at one time breathed murder and wreaked havoc against the church and followers of Christ (Acts 8:3; 9:1).

There are pitfalls and snares along the way as we follow Christ in this world, a legion of phantoms rising to thwart our passage home. The powers of hell are able to summon a plethora of surmising impurities to steal your peace. And if they cannot make a breach while you are awake, they will try to rape your mind while you sleep. This explains those unspeakably filthy dreams which leave you feeling so violated and sinful in the morning. The enemy knows the chances of infiltration without mortification increases significantly when the believer’s mind is wandering along in unsupervised dreamscape.

According to scripture, the mind renewed in Christ is likened unto a weapon: “…arm yourselves likewise with the same mind…” (I Peter 4:1-2). Have you ever thought of your mind as a piece of armament, as weapon to mortify sinful impulses? The renewed mind in Christ is just that. It is with the Spirit-renewed mind that we dismantle potentially wicked strongholds, take down ungodly imaginations and decimate anything that dares exalt itself against God’s Word (II Cor. 10:3-5).

The mind is also the channel by which scripture is transferred into the heart once it is obeyed. Established in the heart, God’s Word becomes a fiery sword of protection to the humble believer in Christ. Being renewed in the spirit of your mind is akin to have a loaded cannon trained on the enemy (Ephesians 4:23). As soon as he attacks you with lust, a volley of living scripture explodes to repel his assault. Remain therefore vigilant and sober and girded-up at all times. The forensic experts can surface as many files as they wish, but they will all dissolve in the face of God’s truth.

My dear Christian reader, fortify your mind with God’s Word and hide it well in your heart. Let God’s truth dwell in you richly with all wisdom each day. Wisdom obeyed is light conveyed (Psalm 119:11, 130; Proverbs 4:23; Ephesians 3:16; Colossians 3:16).

2012/7/24 0:46Profile
TrueWitness

Re:

I just wanted to point out that generational curses is something that is part of the Old Covenant. If you aren't Jewish you aren't and never have been under that Old Covenant.

2012/7/24 1:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy