Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Pilgrim's Progress

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Pilgrim's Progress

I grew up with this book, I'm sure most of you have read it, but if you haven't read it lately I encourage you to read it again and in the old English if possible!

John Bunyan is one of my favorite authors, I've been raised reading his books... anyone heard of Mansoul? (also known as The Holy War) It is excellent as well.

2005/2/16 12:06Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re: Pilgrim's Progress

Ah! Old English?! I didn't even complete the new revised English edition. I need to finish that book. It's on my bookshelf at home. But man, do I have many books to read!

The one I have to read soon because someone's letting me borrow it is "A Tale of Three Kings". A lady thought I'd enjoy it because I was sharing with her on Saturday what God's been teaching me through 1 & 2 Kings. I flipped through and it looks like an easy read, one day at the most.

But Pilgrim's Progress... I know I need to finish that book. One of my many goals. Maybe would you like to share specifically some things God spoke to you through that book?

2005/2/16 13:59Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Here's a little quote from John Bunyan:
"Not the overheavy load of sin, but the discovery of mercy; not the roaring of devil, but the drawing of the Father, that makes a man come to Jesus Christ."

His body lies in Bunhill Fields burial ground just opposite from where Wesley's chapel was built a hundred or so years later. He had tried to mediate between brethren in my home town of Reading and had been caught in a downpour. He contracted pneumonia and did not recover.

In close proximity are buried
George Fox
William Blake
Daniel DeFoe
John Gill
John Owen
John Rippon
Isaac Watts
Susanna Wesley
Just across the road John Wesley is buried.

Bunhill was originally Bone Hill, established in 1665 it is reckoned that 120,000 plague victims were buried here.
What a resurrection day Bunhill Fields will experience!

2005/2/16 16:15Profile
lastblast

Michigan

Re:

Quote:
"Not the overheavy load of sin, but the discovery of mercy; not the roaring of devil, but the drawing of the Father, that makes a man come to Jesus Christ."

Beautiful and 100% true. I believe ALL who have truly been born again can attest to this Truth.

Oh, and By the way, this book is WONDERFUL. My son and I read it last year together. Even though he was only 9 he was as engrossed in it as I was. Since then, I've heard there is a version which is wonderfully suited for younger children. Blessings, Cindy

2005/2/16 22:05Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re: Pilgrim's Progress

If anyone's interested, the complete first book is available on audio at Sermon Audio. (And it's in old English too 8-))

2005/2/17 2:25Profile
hredii

Fresno CA

Re:

Sermon Audio use to have the whole thing for free. The kbps was low. It look like now they have it on CD quality to buy for $30. I did not know that it was the whole thing. I always thought it was an edited version. It is good to listen on long road trips. There might be another site that has it for free download.

2005/2/17 3:23Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

One of Bunyan's most famous word pictures is of Christian heading for the cross with the overwhelming burden of his sin heavy on his shoulders. This little fact about John Bunyan's teenage years may give you an insight into the illustration. Bunyan was a travelling pot-repairer, or tinker.

The church of the Bedford meeting has in its possession the stake anvil of Bunyan (an anvil with a spike in the bottom enabling it to be hammered into the ground) with the words "Helstowe 1647. J. Bunyan" engraved on it, a touching memento of a nineteen-year-old setting up in business. The anvil which a travelling tinker would carry on his back (along with other tools!), weighs 60lbs (27.22 Kgs). It is not surprising that Bunyan's metaphor for sin was a great weight or "burden" on the back.
(Puritan's Progress: Monica Furlong)

If you can imagine this young man fighting his way up long muddy entrances to outlying farms in the Fens,with this burden on his back, you will also get a good idea of the 'Slough of Despond'.

Here's a picture of a 'stake anvil' though not Bunyans.

2005/2/17 4:10Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

I think you can get the book for free on e-sword.

2005/2/17 11:51Profile
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Re:

Yodi, I can't even begin to start what parts have blessed me... really, the entire book is lavished with excellent lessons and practical application that have helped me immensely!

A must read for all Christians!

2005/3/3 15:02Profile
dohzman

Re: WoW

That's awesome!I've never read a full bio' on Bunyan ,just brief bio's, but Pilgram's Progress is one of my all time favorite books and I try to dust it off and re-read it every year or two.

2005/3/3 15:56Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy