Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Quick question about fasting

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
dvndsn

Kentucky

Quick question about fasting

I want to fast in the near future. I have done it before, but my wife thought I did not have to be so legalistic about it. A kind rebuke perhaps? She is so awesome.

Anyways, when I fast, I do not eat/drink a single thing. No water, no food. Of course I brush my teeth, keep clean, etc. but I do not drink any water. She thought I could have drank water and still considered it a fast. What are your thoughts? Please don't let this turn into a heated discussion, I only wish to give God glory.

The answer could be both: It's okay to drink, and okay not to drink water. I just want to know if it would still be considered fasting if I did. Thank you all for your fellowship!

2012/7/17 12:32Profile

Re: Quick question about fasting

Both, I'd say.

2012/7/17 12:43
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

If the Lord leads you not to drink water, pray about it again.

2012/7/17 12:47Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Brother,of course you can go without food and still call it a fast... that is what Jesus did during his wilderness fast; even he did not go without water during that time.

How long do you go without water? In the bible, they only went three days without water and food (i.e. Esther). Longer than that puts your body in danger.

The average faster goes without food and then adjusts from there. Example, I think the more pressing the problem(s), the more pressing the fast (i.e. pulling out all the stops like no tv, no computer, if married-no sex, and/or no water). That is just my two cents.

God bless you and your family,
Lisa

2012/7/17 13:26Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Hello dvndsn,

Have you read any books on fasting? Just curious to know how much you have researched the practice.

In my understanding of the physical process of fasting, there are many toxins which are released and drinking water helps prevent the kidneys from becoming overloaded with them. It is the build-up of these toxins which cause the headaches associated with fasting, drinking plenty of water helps dilute the concentration of them in the blood. Depending on how long a fast lasts, not drinking sufficient water can cause permanent damage to the kidney & liver. I do not believe the Lord would want you to tempt Him by doing something that is dangerous without there being dire circumstances which necessitate such a fast (like being shipwrecked).

It is good to hear you want to give God glory. Could you please tell me how you feel fasting does that? I have my own thoughts on the subject but am interested in hearing others viewpoints. My husband and I both have reduced the overall amount that we are eating to prepare our stomachs for the coming famine.

Kind regards,
white stone

2012/7/17 13:31Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Brother: White Stone is right about the body. We do live in a physical body. If the Lord leads specifically to go without water, then so be it. But on a very practical note, it is good to stay hydrated, even when fasting. Remember, fasting is more about breaking the hold of your flesh than it is about anything else. See Isaiah 58:6
(6) Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?
You may do either, but I would suggest drinking water.

2012/7/17 16:51Profile
dvndsn

Kentucky

Re:

Lysa, I have searched Scripture and cannot find where Jesus drank water in the wilderness. Luke 4:2 says he ate nothing, so I guess that could mean he drank water. I have yet to fast for more than a day. Obviously, there is a right and wrong way to do it, so I want to be in the right.

White Stone, I have not read any books on fasting, I have only read the Scriptures. I feel fasting gives God glory because it lets Him know you can put him before other necessities. People can idolize food. If someone doesn't read their Bible all week, it means everything else was more important. Fasting is a way to make sure you put nothing like that before God. I definitely believe you are right about the physical aspects of fasting.

All, I am leaning more towards drinking water in light of these things and after consulting my wife and mentor. I still want to pray about it. Thanks for the responses!

2012/7/17 17:33Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Hey, I just came across this book this morning and thought about everyone who has posted here. It's free. I just downloaded the pdf book, so I cannot say if it's great or not but here it is.

All Fasting Secrets: Biblical Purpose, Prayer, Power, Price, Precautions, etc
By Eric Gondwe

Table of Contents

Introduction
Companion to other Books
1. Biblical Purpose of Fasting
2. Medical Conditions were Fasting is Generally not Recommended
3. Power of Fasting (Occasional Fasting): The Real Spiritual Warfare
4. Benefits of Fasting: In Spiritual & Inner Areas
5. Benefits of Fasting: In Social Areas
6. Benefits of Fasting: In Material Areas
7. Benefits of Fasting: In Physical Health Areas
8. How to Fast Biblically: Spiritual Do's & Don'ts on Fasting
9. The Ministry of Fasting, its Price, and Some Gender Differences
10. Overcoming Hindrances to Fast and Challenges During Fasting
11. Types of Fasting: Based on Food Level Criteria
12. Types of Fasting: Based on Duration Criteria
13. Types of Fasting: Based on Purpose Criteria
14. Types of Fasting: Based on Leading Criteria
15. The Importance of both Short Fasts and Long Fasts
16. Major Health Precautions of Fasting: Dangers to Avoid
17. How to Safely Break a Fast: Warnings on Ending a Fast
18. Spiritual Experiences During Some Fasting Days
19. General Last Chapter: Some Extras
Appendix 1

http://www.lulu.com/shop/eric-gondwe/all-fasting-secrets-biblical-purpose-prayer-power-price-precautions-etc/ebook/product-20162217.html

God Bless,
Lisa

2012/7/18 8:27Profile
dvndsn

Kentucky

Re:

How did you come across that book? It's really hard for me to just say "ahh a book on fasting, I'll read it!", without first researching the author and their influences, schooling, etc. It does seem like a good book though!

2012/7/18 9:55Profile
waitonGod

I definitely agree with twayneb's comment about fasting being to break the hold of the flesh. If the goal of fasting is to come off the fast be able to say, "I fasted" then it's for the wrong reasons. I would consider any denial of the flesh a fast. There has been times I fasted both food and water, times I drank water, times I fasted foods but not drinks, times I fasted one or two meals a day, etc. When you do fast, and whatever way you fast, make sure you don't appear unto men to fast.

ps. Have you ever said word so much that you feel like it's not even a word anymore? I just did that with "fast"

2012/7/18 11:34Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy