SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics :  Slaying the Mighty Giant of Our Day

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
If you have a bottle filled with poison water, how do you pull the poison water out without creating a vacuum? You fill it with clean water!

I thought of similar imagery: If you try to empty water out of a spot in a brook more water immediately fills the space. But if you put a ROCK in that spot, water cannot enter that space. Likewise, it is futile to try to eradicate fear – or, for that matter, the many effects of fear (to be discussed later). Our efforts merely wear us out. This is works-centered living. Of course that heightens our fear – because we can never be secure. (Is that not why legalism and anxiety typically coexist?) Of course the Rock is Christ who himself fills the void. We need only rest by faith (confident trust) in His promises, presence, power and …..
Quote:
the bible doesn't seem to say bravery is the remedy for fear, but rather love is. "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love." (1 John 4:18)

So the ROCK is love – the steadfast, merciful, faithful love of our Lord!
Quote:
What is the true nature of this love that John talks about, a love that liberates a once tormented heart from fear and unbelief? Why is the fearless heart described as a heart flowing with love, rather then courage or faith?

Good point! It is not faith itself, but the object (the ROCK) on which our faith rests through which fear is conquered and love can freely flow.

Okay …. now that we can pat ourselves on the back for such wise insights we are confronted with the practical outworking of this simple, basic truth. That is another matter! Hudson Taylor had already learned to trust the Lord for his material needs, and for much more. He was a seasoned missionary in China, and had already endured many tests of faith. Yet when God called him into a new level of trust – for a greater work of God in China, Mr. Taylor had an intense struggle. He used words like FEAR and UNBELIEF to describe himself. I found this amazing for such a man of faith. But reading his words was intensely comforting. It is my struggle too – even though God has already brought me through seasons of rigorous “training” in the area of trust. I don’t know what God has in mind for me. But lately, through a series of “pressure cooker” testings, I am being confronted with a host of besetting fears that have never been dislodged. I find this intensely disturbing – to see that I am yet so weak in faith. Yet if I don’t press on this matter, I will be capsized by the waves – discouraged and despondent. So …. alas,… I press on….

My background in health care has trained me to carefully examine signs and symptoms before proceeding with treatment. I think that applies in the area of spiritual care too… and indeed, that s a key role of the Spirit.

So what are the signs and symptoms of distrust contrasted with that of trust?

2012/7/17 8:17Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

Well, I just love Corrie Ten Boom and her simple quotes explain things better than I could hope to do so I will use a few of them to help me communicate.

Quote:
So what are the signs and symptoms of distrust contrasted with that of trust?

One sign of distrust is worry.

“Worry is a cycle of inefficient thoughts whirling around a center of fear.”
― Corrie Ten Boom

Another sign of distrust is it cripples your ability to trust with child-like faith and to see things as God wants us to see and be at rest.

“If you look at the world, you'll be distressed. If you look within, you'll be depressed. If you look at God you'll be at rest.”
― Corrie Ten Boom

Unbelief or Distrust, causes one to try to live the Christian life apart from God, apart from His life operating inside you. Trust keeps you connected to His life and His burden then, is light.

Trying to do the Lord's work in your own strength is the most confusing, exhausting, and tedious of all work. But when you are filled with the Holy Spirit, then the ministry of Jesus just flows out of you.”
― Corrie Ten Boom

Pilgrim

2012/7/17 8:32Profile
roadsign

Re: Facing the Giant in This Land of Prosperity

“I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid.” Gen. 3:10
“Do not be afraid…” Gen. 15:1

Have you noticed that the word “FEAR” rarely enters an average conversation? Yet, as has been asserted, “fear” is the mighty giant in our land. It looms ever so ominously in the human psyche- even though many of the reasons to fear have been eradicated, thanks to our plethora of modern resources. In spite of our prosperity fear remains as a mighty giant – or rather, BECAUSE OF our prosperity. I suggest that our prosperity has helped create our present crisis of fear. This ravaging giant of fear is mushrooming, much like the giant poisonous Hogweed plant which takes over the soil and crowds out all other growth.

I say, as a civilization we are quickly using up our resources in our attempt to suppress this giant in our minds. Yet we cannot continue to let “the sun go” down on our fear. We cannot continue to medicate our society with anti-anxiety pharmaceuticals. And our many avoidance strategies – be that weaponries, substance abuse, shallow entertainment, shallow socializing, religiosity, legalistic efforts to eradicate evil, blame, anger, and so forth merely deteriorate the quality of our relationships – and that makes our anxieties grow even bigger. Our "fig leaves" inevitably crumble.

Let’s admit, collectively we cannot bear to face our fear truthfully because it means we must face our nakedness. Yet the question Jesus asked his disciples remains before us: “WHY ARE YOU SO AFRAID? Matt. 8:26

Through answering Jesus’ question- that is, acknowledging our fear, we open ourselves up to God’s exilerating solution for fear. Of course that's true for society in general. But more importantly for you and me: It is part of the spiritual journey of every believer.

So... let us boldly face the giant - as Jesus calls us to do:

Why are you afraid?
What do you fear?

Any suggestions?

2012/7/18 9:28Profile
MaryJane

Re:

But first…. Let us face this giant of our day:
Why are we afraid?
What do we fear?

Any suggestions?

I can't answer this on a corporate level for everyone but if your interested in answers from a personal level then

I have struggled with fear, have actually shared about that here once or twice :) The thing I have feared most was the "unknown" and I think the real reason is because it is beyond my control. So my answers would be "What do I fear"-the unknown
"why am I afraid"-because its beyond my control

On a personal note I have been seeing by HIS mercy that both of these are really rooted in unbelief.
God Bless
mj

2012/7/18 9:51Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

I would say that one of the biggest giants in the land today, through my eyes, is lazyness/slothfulness.

This is something that I am guilty of on a daily basis. I know that something needs to be done, but will put it off because too much work is involved. This is something that I have been praying about (when I'm not to lazy to pray) and asking the Lord to change in me.

I see this in many cases for many men and women. I've noticed that lazyness/slothfulness takes the place of our very best. We take the path of least resistance, which I am most guilty.

I repent of my lazyness/slothfulness.

2012/7/18 10:58Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
We take the path of least resistance,

Miccah, This is a point worth exploring! What is actually being resisted? Why? Why do people eagerly work hard in some areas of life, but hold back in others (exhibit passivity)? Is this not related to FEAR – that is, anxiety? You believe you can avoid the risk of experiencing the horrible sense of anxiety if you can avoid that which you fear. (Of course you likely aren’t aware of that motive.)

Mary Jane gives a common example:

Quote:
I have feared most was the "unknown" and I think the real reason is because it is beyond my control.

This is so very true of human nature! We’ve all heard that this is why people keep practicing something negative rather than change – even though they know it is bad. Change is more terrifying than staying the same! Change means moving towards that which you have not known – and therefore is beyond your control.

How does this relate to a trust in God? …. or to Abraham – as the Bible's prime exemplar of faith (ie, trust)?

Diane

2012/7/20 8:50Profile
roadsign

Re:

Look at this folks!! I found two verses that are almost identical:

1) “I WAS AFRAID because I was naked; so I HID.”
2) “I WAS AFRAID and went out and HID your gold in the ground.”

The first is spoken by Adam (Gen. 3:10); the second by the recipient of the one talent in Jesus’ parable of the Ten Talents (Math. 25:25 NIV)

Amazing! Don’t you think that both these people viewed their Master/Lord as UN-TRUSTWORTHY and made their choices accordingly? ( “…I knew that you are a hard man…” Matt. 25:24)

That would point directly to what Pilgrim said:

Quote:
Unbelief or Distrust, causes one to try to live the Christian life apart from God, apart from His life operating inside you.

Thoughts?

Diane

2012/7/20 10:42Profile

STOP trying!

Quote:
Unbelief or Distrust, causes one to try to live the Christian life apart from God, apart from His life operating inside you.

Then the answer to this is STOP trying!!!!!
WE can only embrace daily the Life of Christ within us because of HIM!

2012/7/20 10:53

Re:

Quote:
Look at this folks!! I found two verses that are almost identical:

1) “I WAS AFRAID because I was naked; so I HID.”
2) “I WAS AFRAID and went out and HID your gold in the ground.”
Amazing! Don’t you think that both these people viewed their Master/Lord as UN-TRUSTWORTHY and made their choices accordingly? ( “…I knew that you are a hard man…” Matt. 25:24)

That would point directly to what Pilgrim said:
"Unbelief or Distrust, causes one to try to live the Christian life apart from God, apart from His life operating inside you."

Thoughts?

Diane

It gets even more interesting/scary.

Check this out:

Revelation 21:8

"But for the cowardly and unbelieving and abominable and murderers and immoral persons and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their part will be in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death."

Look who's first on the list. Before the unbelievers, the immoral, the idolaters, the murderers, etc.

Sobering, wouldn't you say?

2012/7/20 11:39

Re: STOP trying!

Lets look at Hudson Taylor agian

"When my agony of soul was at its height, a sentence in a letter from dear McCarthy was used to remove the scales from my eyes, and the Spirit of God revealed the truth of our oneness with Jesus as I had never seen it before. McCarthy, who had been much exercised by the same sense of failure, but saw the light before I did, wrote (I quote from memory): "But how to get faith strengthened? Not by striving after faith, but by resting on the Faithful One."

As I read I saw it all! "If we believe not, He remains faithful." I looked to Jesus and saw (and when I saw, oh, how joy flowed) that He had said, "I will never leave you." "Ah, here is rest!" I thought. "I have striven in vain to rest in Him. I'll strive no more. For has He not promised to abide with me - never to leave me, never to fail me?" And Dearie, He never will!

But this was not all He showed me, nor one half. As I thought of the vine and the branches, what light the blessed Spirit poured directly into my soul! How great seemed my mistake in having wished to get the sap, the fullness, out of Him. I saw not only that Jesus would never leave me, but that I was a member of His body, of His flesh and of His bones. The vine now I see is not the root merely, but all - root, stem, branches, twigs, leaves, flowers, fruit; and Jesus is not only that; He is soil and sunshine, air and showers, and ten thousand times more than we have ever dreamed, wished for, or needed. Oh the joy of seeing this truth! I do pray that the eyes of your understanding may be enlightened, that you may know and enjoy the riches freely given us in Christ."

This is the key

"I have striven in vain to rest in Him. I'll strive no more. For has He not promised to abide with me - never to leave me, never to fail me?" And Dearie, He never will!

2012/7/20 11:54

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy