SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Slavery and the Early Church

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
proudpapa

Slavery and the Early Church

Why Did Early American Christians (Calvinist Puritans) belive that Racist Slavery was acceptable??

2012/7/8 16:09Profile
proudpapa

Re: Slavery and the Early Church

Here is some thoughts??

Massachusetts, like many American colonies, had roots in a scrupulous fundamentalist Protestantism. Christianity was no barrier to slave-ownership, however. The Puritans regarded themselves as God's Elect, and so they had no difficulty with slavery, which had the sanction of the Law of the God of Israel. The Calvinist doctrine of predestination easily supported the Puritans in a position that blacks were a people cursed and condemned by God to serve whites. Cotton Mather told blacks they were the "miserable children of Adam and Noah," for whom slavery had been ordained as a punishment

http://www.slavenorth.com/massachusetts.htm

2012/7/8 16:19Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Ironically, America now has a black president.

Even if the colonist were wrong, it's just too late.

2012/7/9 2:53Profile
EverestoSama

Re: Slavery and the Early Church

Quote:
Why Did Early American Christians (Calvinist Puritans) belive that Racist Slavery was acceptable??

They were the elect, and the black Africans were not (so they supposed, and wrongly I might add). But who's one to argue with the infallibility of the TULIP?

They also had this idea further championed by guys like George Whitfield, who twisted Scripture out of context to fit his desires, and campaigned for its legislation.

Never mind what the apostle Paul said on the subject in 1 Cor 7:21-24;

"Were you called while a slave? Do not worry about it; but if you are able also to become free, rather do that. For he who was called in the Lord while a slave, is the Lord's freedman; likewise he who was called while free, is Christ's slave. You were bought with a price; do not become slaves of men. Brethren, each one is to remain with God in that condition in which he was called."

Where Paul distinctly says if you are ABLE to become free do so. Yet the "elect" would deny them the very thing Paul said they should do.

Remember, the Hebrew concept of "slavery" (which was more of an indentured servant position that they were required to be freed from every seven year period unless they wished to remain with their masters) and the Greek concept of it were radically different from each other, and even then quite different than what America had in the South.

Hyper Calvinism is just a treasure trove of "justice" throughout history.

2012/7/9 3:01Profile

Re:

First time for everything.

Brother Enid, I've never disagreed with you but this time I must. He's President in name only and time will tell who's running the show from behind the curtain, as it's said.

The blacks in the South became better Christians than their 'masters'. Doctrinally as well.

2012/7/9 3:20
EverestoSama

Re:

Quote:
The blacks in the South became better Christians than their 'masters'. Doctrinally as well.

For sure, despite the fact that their "owners" tried to use the very book that always spoke of black Africans in a positive light to hold them down and repress them.

2012/7/9 3:24Profile

Re:

Good Day, Brother EverestoSama! :)

eta - Amen!

2012/7/9 3:24
EverestoSama

Re:

Quote:
Good Day, Brother EverestoSama! :)

Same to you. I hope you're doing well. I tried to call a few days ago, but it was probably too early in the morning. I'll try at a better time in the future.

:)

2012/7/9 3:26Profile

Re:

Night owl, I am. It's after 3 here and well, here I be orbiting cyberspace.
I love watching the sun rise. lol.

Timely thread. The powers that be are truly trying to pit ethnos against ethnos over here. Actually world wide.

Best time is after 11 EST.

Bless you much!

2012/7/9 3:33
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

By the way, its Sister Enid, not brother.

Thanks.

2012/7/9 6:46Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy