SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : A very serious threat!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

A very serious threat!

Doctors:

(A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.

(B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year is 120,000.

(C) Accidental deaths per physician are 0.171. Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept. of Health Human Services.

Guns:

(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000.

Yes, that is 80 million.

(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500.

(C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is 0.000188.

Statistically, doctors are approximately [b]9,000 times more dangerous[/b] than gun owners.

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat.

[b]We must ban doctors before this gets completely out of hand.[/b]

Remember, [b]"Guns don't kill people, doctors do."[/b]

Fact: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN,

BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.

Out of concern for the public at large, I have withheld the statistics on [i]lawyers[/i] for fear the shock would cause people to panic and seek medical attention - thus causing more needless deaths........

2005/2/14 10:07
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re: A very serious threat!

How can you respond to that? lol Seek the Great Physician instead of man?

2005/2/14 10:54Profile

Re:

Well... I'm sure you figured out that I posted that to bring a little humor to the site... 8-)

Krispy

2005/2/14 10:55
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

How if you change the question to 'intentional deaths?'

I grew up in a town which had a very old churchyard; older than some people's countries... There was an eptitaph on one of the gravestones which read

Afflictions sore long time I bore
Physicians were in vain
Till God did please
to give me ease
And free me from my pain.

And before the Physicians join in... I have one as a son!

2005/2/14 11:24Profile

Re:

hmmm... my point was that gun owners (such as me) are not the criminals... the criminals are the criminals.

Krispy

2005/2/14 11:43
Angyl

Re:

Hmm...

I don't own a gun. Not because I have anything against them...I've just never gotten around to purchasing and training for one and don't really feel the burning need for it.

My reasoning for not jumping on the bandwagon for gun ownership is somewhat complex, but also kinda simple. What it boils down to is Faith. I am a multiple black-belt in a few martial arts forms and feel capable of defending my home against an intruder, armed or unarmed. If, in the extraordinary unlikely chance some armed assailant(s) should come to my home bent on violence, then my trust is in the Lord.

No one is going to harm me or my family without God's say so.

There's a wonderful peace in that statement.

NO ONE is going to harm me or my family withoug God's express consent to allow that trial into our lives.

And really, am I so attached to this mortal coil that I should jump through many hoops to get to stay on it?

Can't threaten ME with Heaven.

In the final analysis, I can pretty much guarantee that having a gun in my house would NOT make me feel any safer or capable of handling an intruder. If I heard something going bump in my living room at night I would be just as likely (and just as confident) to go investigate it bare-handed with stealth, than packing a .45 or whatever.

For those who are trained, to whom a gun brings a measure of comfort, I say more power to you. I am relying on you die-hard gun-freaks to help protect America from herself (overbearing government) and perhaps an invading force should our government fail.

Those two situations are the only ones I see myself really needing or using a gun. Not for common thugs, or break-ins...

and not for peace of mind at night. :-)

2005/2/14 12:27Profile

Re: its funny

before I was saved, I had bought many rifles...not a crazy lot, but enuf to equip a hunting party in case my pals from the Midwest wanted to go hunting out here, and didnt want the hassle of transporting weaponry.

here's the funny thing, since I got saved, I've had very little desire to even look at these weapons, let alone warm up on the range.......I havent even shot one since I got saved.

its part of the old life that's falling away.

I'm not condeming anybody, it's just not me, anymore.

I don't have a desire OR time to hunt. Part of it is that my old hunting buddies were also my get high buddies,or my grow dope buddies, and though I love these ole boys, I don't run with them anymore.

The rifles are locked up in the weapons cabinet, the generator sits in a shed, the crank-up radio's sit on a shelf, all that stuff's from a different era.

the era of fear, the era of lies in my life.

I used to 'believe' in a lot of stuff, and it was all rooted in fear, and in pride, and I would wrap it up in "noble" causes. Heck, I joined the Navy when I was 17, cause I one night I was watching my hero, John Wayne go down with the ship in "In Harm's Way". and the next day I was in the recruiter's office and in three days I was in boot camp.

oh yes, I didnt wait for them to give me a school, or 'gurantees'...just did it. God's hand was on me, because they wound up sending a 17 year old to one of the most prestigious language schools in the land.

But that was a different day, and God is working to deliver me from my fears, and from my predilictions and my native prejuidices.

Jesus told the disciples it is the time to buy a sword, and naturally, they went overboard and started yammering on about buying three, etc etc....until Jesus had to tersely reply, "Thats enough".

lol.

Its my belief after reading Scripture, that followers of Jesus, should model themselves on being a lamb...oh yes. And we don't like to hear that....our pride doesnt like to hear that, cause we wanna be lions, we wanna be John Waynes, we wanna blast over the landscape in a Bradley Fighting Vehicle, laying down a stream of covering fire on the "haji's, while "Ride of the Valkyries" is blaring out on a huge speaker attached to our AV.

It doesnt work that way. John the Baptist said, "here comes the Lamb of God"

Jesus was born a in humble manger, a barn, laid in straw.

I went from John Wayne to Jesus, and my weapons stay in the locker, as does my fear.

2005/2/14 12:55

Re:

Actually, Angyl... I just like guns. I either use mine for target shooting or hunting. I have a 120 german shepherd for home security. She works just fine. I'm not against having one for security tho... it's our right as Americans.

Think about this, tho... Thomas Jefferson wrote (I'm paraphrasing because I dont have the actual quote) that if the US government ever overstepped it's boundaries with the American people, the citizens have the duty to uphold the Constitution and rebel against the government. That is truly the issue behind "the right to keep and bear arms."

Krispy

2005/2/14 12:56

Re:

I read your post, Neil, and I agree that you probably did as the Spirit led you to do. You also bring up good points about fear and "gung-ho-ness". For those who deal with those issues they should leave those things behind.

For those of us who dont... well God doesnt deal with everyone the same.

We just have to be careful of getting into the mindset that just because God deals with me in a particular way... that doesnt mean He deals with everyone the same way.

I understand the spirit of what you wrote, and I dont think your trying to say that. Good testimony brother.

Krispy

2005/2/14 13:01
Angyl

Re:

Ahhh, a dog.

Yes, they're good for security too. :-)

But I despise dogs with an unbridled passion that borders on rage. LOL

It's a shame, too. Cuz I could see how having a nice, large, family pet snoozing away in front of the door would, if nothing else, scare the bejeebus out of an intruder and give tons of warning...

And you're righta bout Jefferson (or rather, he was right), and that's what I meant when I said I was relying on you gun freaks to protect us. Let the government try to overstep their bounds too quickly and I expect you all to head to the hills in our defense.

And I say overstep its bonds too quickly because, of course, the government has ALREADY way overstepped its bonds. They're just doing it wisely, and slowly, so as not to set the militia crowd off and incite revolt.

2005/2/14 13:39Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy