Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Holy Ghost: Filled vs. Upon

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Trekker

northern USA

Holy Ghost: Filled vs. Upon

Today in my reading in St. Luke i come upon something rather confusing: sometimes people are said to be FILLED with the Holy Ghost, other times the Holy Ghost is just UPON them.
See the following examples of Elizabeth, Zacharias, and
Simeon:

1. 41 And it came to pass that when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb;and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost:...LUKE 1:41

2. 67 And his father Zacharias was filled with the Holy Ghost, and prophesied, saying,...LUKE 1:67

3. 25 And behold, there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon; and the same man was just and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel: and the Holy Ghost was upon him. LUKE 2:25

Does anyone have any understanding of this discrepancy and what it might mean? Why were some filled and others "upon"?
And is there any difference in the gifts or service or spiritual makeup of a person who has the Holy Ghost only UPON them versus being FILLED? I am rather surprised that Old Testament Believers (that is, they were still living under the Old Testament cuz Christ had not yet been born nor died) would be FILLED with the Holy Ghost; previously i had thought that prior to Christ the Holy Ghost was only UPON Jewish believers. Is it possible that even today the Holy Ghost may be UPON some Christians but that others might be FILLED?

2012/7/6 20:01Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: Holy Ghost: Filled vs. Upon

I don't think I would try to make too much of the terms upon and filled. Their usage is probably determined by context. However the Bible does make a distinction between the operation of the Holy Spirit under the old and new covenants. Prior to Pentecost there were few men who were said to be filled with the Holy Spirit, but often we find the Holy Spirit coming upon a man for a time or a season to empower him to accomplish a particular task. Obviously the prophets were moved upon by the Holy Spirit. We are told that the other writers of scripture were inspired by the Holy Spirit as they wrote.

I think the key to this issue is to consider the purpose of Pentecost. When Jesus was on the earth, He operated as a man filled with the Holy Spirit. The term "Christ" means anointed one. So Jesus Christ means Jesus the one who was anointed by God. This anointing was the infilling and empowerment by the Holy Spirit of God. Look at John 5:19 and John 14:10, Matt. 3:13-17, Acts 10:37-38, Isaiah 61:1 and Luke 4:18-22.

It was God's purpose that all believers be empowered by the Holy Spirit in the same way that Jesus was. That is the reason Jesus made a statement as bold as He did in John 14:12-14. The same works that I do shall ye do and greater works shall ye do. Jesus said it was needful for Him to go to the Father so that He could send us the comforter (Holy Spirit). Later in John 14:17 Jesus said that the Holy Spirit had been with the disciples, but would be in them. You see, the Holy Spirit had been with them in that Jesus was with them and He was filled with the Holy Spirit. But when He ascended He was going to send the Holy Spirit to infill and indwell them. In Acts it is recorded that they would receive power after that the Holy Spirit was come upon them. And they did. They were filled with the Holy Spirit and walked in power and boldness. It is the same with us.

I cannot imagine why I would desire the Holy Spirit to simply visit me on occasion with power when the plan of God is that I be filled with, baptized in, the Holy Spirit.

2012/7/7 10:06Profile
Trekker

northern USA

Re:

QUOTE: "I don't think I would try to make too much of the terms upon and filled. Their usage is probably determined by context."==TWAYNEB

This is a very vague statement. Of course everything in the scripture is understood by context. But you have not provided any indicators that the contexts are different in this case.
You have failed to convince me that i should not think anything of the difference in terms.

QUOTE: "And they did. They were filled with the Holy Spirit and walked in power and boldness. It is the same with us."==TWAYNEB

So where are these Christians who walk in power and boldness? LOL! I have been in DOZENS of Christian churches and have never met ONE, not even ONE. Assembly of God,
Non-denominational, Baptist, Lutheran, Missionary Alliance, Methodist, Church of Christ...i've been in them all. In Multiples. They warm the pews, they sing songs, they go home and close their doors. What a joke. No, it is not the same with us.

2012/7/11 1:09Profile

Trekker

My understanding is the one must first be filled with the Holy Spirit in order for Him to come upon them at special times of ministry or witness.

Brenda

2012/7/11 1:59

Re:

Quote:
My understanding is the one must first be filled with the Holy Spirit in order for Him to come upon them at special times of ministry or witness.

I agree.

2012/7/11 4:53
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Lets see if I can clear up the vague statement. In Acts, Jesus is recorded as saying, "And ye shall received power after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you...." The word is upon, yet we see by context that they were filled with the Spirit on the day of Pentecost. So the distinction, to me, is not so much whether the word used is filled or upon, but rather what the context of event says about what happened. That is why I said that the term used in this case is less important than the context within which the term is used. Upon in this case refers to a baptism, and infusion or infilling, or to being filled.

The second statement, that they were filled with power and boldness, and it is the same with us, is what should be the case, not what is the case in the life of every believer. From what you said afterwards, I think it is important to make a distinction. Some will not agree, and that is OK, but I believe that there is a definite experience ,subsequent to salvation, called the baptism of the Holy Spirit that Jesus was referring to in John, and that the 120 experienced on the day of Pentecost. See Acts 19:1-7. This is the infilling and empowerment that Jesus refers to in the book of John.

We cannot look at those around us and make a statement about the purposes of God by the experiences of man. Many believers fail to walk as they are intended to walk. Paul made a statement that mirrored this when he said, "Rom 3:3 For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect?" You are right. Many simply fill pews and fail to walk in faith and power. But what of you and I? Do we also settle for that, or do we press in to God and allow Him to work through us as He desires to work through every believer?

Brenda and EverestoSama make a good point, I think. When we are filled with the Spirit we are now able to be used of Him in ways we could never have been used prior.

2012/7/11 8:57Profile

Re:

Quote:
Some will not agree, and that is OK, but I believe that there is a definite experience ,subsequent to salvation, called the baptism of the Holy Spirit that Jesus was referring to in John, and that the 120 experienced on the day of Pentecost. See Acts 19:1-7. This is the infilling and empowerment that Jesus refers to in the book of John.

Agree again. I think beyond just a second filling though, it's a third, and a fourth, and a fifth, and however many times we're open to it when the Lord wills and the situation requires it of us (IE operation of the gifts).

2012/7/11 9:10
ginnyrose

Mississippi

In Bible School our instructors taught us that the terms "upon" and "filled" are informative.

In the OT one reads how the Holy Spirit was "upon" people. After Pentecost the Holy Spirit dwelled "within' the saints.

Does this make sense?

2012/7/11 12:01Profile

Re:

Quote:
In the OT one reads how the Holy Spirit was "upon" people. After Pentecost the Holy Spirit dwelled "within' the saints.

Does this make sense?

For sure. Though I believe that since the New Testament that now it's both. :)

2012/7/11 12:08

Re:

What I find funny with those that wonder where the great manifestations of the Spirit are or focus most on 'the gifts' - is that they sometimes are the very ones that don't want anything too tough or rough directed at them from anyone used in His Church. The slightest correction unravels them, nonetheless what they can read in the book of Acts - etc..
I actually do find that strange -- as one of the first Church Services opened with Ananias and his wife being Slain-by-The-Spirit.
The Ministry of the Two Witnesses should be looked at as well, to see if that's what they have in mind of the power and boldness of The Spirit of 'GOD' that they think is lacking in others [but not themselves?].
Maybe they do understand these apostles/prophets and Saints that were, are and are to come - but only as long as none of those gifts of discernment touch them personally?

2012/7/11 12:51

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy