SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Psychoanalyzing Judge Roberts since his decision (edited)

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
docs

Psychoanalyzing Judge Roberts since his decision (edited)

Since his decision, the pundits and commentators have been taking Roberts' thought processes apart bit by bit and analyzing and assigning various motives to them. His recent suprise of a decision isn't in the same vein as the quotes below but reading them in the paper today makes me wonder on this July 4 what the modern analysis would be for some of these early Supreme Court Justices and others regarding some of their decisions.

John Jay: Co-author of the Federalist Papers; First Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.

"The Bible is the best of all books, for it is the word of God and teaches us in the way to be happy in this world and in the next. Continue therefore to read it and regulate your life by its precepts."

"Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is the duty, as well as the privilege and interest of our Christian nation, to select and prefer Christians for their rulers."

Joseph Story: U. S. Supreme Court Justice; "Father of American Jurisprudence," Placed on the Court by President James Madison

"One of the beautiful boasts of our municipal jurisprudence is that Christianity is part of the common law...There never has been a period in which the Common Law did not recognize Christianity as lying at itsa foundations...I verily believe Christianity necessary to the support of civil society."

Vidal versus Girard's Executors, 1844
Unanimous Decision Commending and Encouraging the Use of the Bible in Government-Run Schools

"Why may not the Bible, and especially the New Testament, without note or comment, be read and taught as divine revelation in [schools] - its general precepts expounded, its evidences explained and its glorious principles of morality inculcated?...Where can the purest principlles of morality be learned so clearly or so perfectly as from the New Testament?

Alexis de Tocqueville
French observer of America in 1831, author of "Democracy in America"

"The Americans combine the notions of Christiantiy and of liberty so intimately in their minds that it is impossible to make them conceive the one without the other."

Me: Yes I know. It's quite obvious and grievous how far this nation has strayed.

2012/7/4 12:34Profile
Trekker

northern USA

Re: Psychoanalyzing Judge Roberts since his decision

I'm sorry, i don't get it; what does Judge John Roberts have to do with these quotes and how does any of this pertain to "psychoanalyzing" him? Wouldn't this thread be better titled "American Judges Who Support(ed)the Bible" or something? No offense, i just don't follow.

2012/7/4 13:33Profile
docs

Re: Well Trekker

Well Trekker,

Maybe the title I chose wasn't completely up to speed but it was just what I was thinking of at the time. I did say that although I'm mentioning Judge Roberts I realize his decision wasn't in the same vein as the quotes. But since the decision many of the pundits and commentators have been taking Roberts' thought process apart bit by bit and assigning various motives to his thought processes that led to his decision. Then I read in the paper this morning and some of the quotes by early SC justices struck me as to how far they run against the modern way of looking at these things and I wondered what type of motives would be assigned to them today as to some of their decisions. That's all.

I hope you had a good 4th of July.

2012/7/4 18:09Profile
Trekker

northern USA

Re:

Ah, now i understand a bit better. Thanks for clarifying. It sure will be interesting to watch and see in the next few months what more comes out about john Robert's decision and everything else, won't it? Everyone keeps saying his decision was supposedly so "brilliant". I keep waiting to see what was so "brilliant" about it.

2012/7/5 4:01Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy