SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Prayer does not change things.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
BonnieJane

MS

Prayer does not change things.

The paragraph below was posted by a person dear to my heart but is deceived and being deceived by the Health ,Wealth and Happiness teachings she has immersed herself in. I want some discussion on this twisted definition of prayer. The first verse that came to my mind was; James 5:16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
Thank you

Prayer does not change things. God changes things. My prayers don't earn God's movement. I do not pray and read my bible to earn something from God, I pray and read my Bible to learn and know what He has already made mine. i.e righteousness, peace, healing, provision...prayer plays a role only to keep me sensitive to His voice but it doesn't earn anything that has already been made mine.

2012/7/4 9:07Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Prayer does not change things.

It would be good, if we were to remember, that God owes us nothing. We were created for Him.

Revelation 4:11,"You are worthy O Lord, to receive glory and honor and power. For You created all things, and by Your will they exist and were created."

We bow to Him for who He is, whether or not He answers our prayers.

And yet, He does answer our prayers, for He has said He will, and does.

We need to, according to 1 John 5:14-15, ask according to His will, what God wants.

I often think, if God hears and sees blasphemy, lies, deception etc, then He certainly hears the prayers of His people.

The answer is on the way.

God bless.

2012/7/4 9:20Profile

I find this statement about prayer troubling. It is misguided. Two examples come to mind out of the Old Testament. There is the example of Moses interceding before God not to wipe out the Israelites. The scriptures say God changed his mind. The other example is God looking for someone to stand in the gap to hold back his judgement. Tragically not one could be found. These two examples and others tell me God does respond to our prayers. Prayer does change things.

Bearmaster.

2012/7/4 9:23
kjcword

This reminds me of something that we talked about just this past Sunday. Our pastor mentioned that one of the leaders of the Azuza Street revival had said that his greatest fear for the American Church is that we would become a people who praised the One they will not pray to.
That statement just really convicted me to the core. And, as one who was delivered from a "word of faith" movement, it is sad to see the lack of focus on prayer.

2012/7/4 10:10Profile
lylewise

Celina, Texas

Re:

Prayer most definitely changes things...............Us. When those who search the scriptures search to seek what they can amass by God's grace, they search in vain. Our promise is Christ and if He is not enough, one will find himself in the world trying to satisfy the Spirit with the flesh. A hopeless endeavor. There was a great lesson in the manna, but oh how it was rejected.

2012/7/4 10:41Profile
learn

I believe that God puts into our hearts what He wants us to do and we pour it out in prayer. God uses prayer as a means of getting us to be in alignment with Him and to change us into His image.

2012/7/4 10:56Profile

Quote:
Prayer does not change things. God changes things. My prayers don't earn God's movement. I do not pray and read my bible to earn something from God, I pray and read my Bible to learn and know what He has already made mine. i.e righteousness, peace, healing, provision...prayer plays a role only to keep me sensitive to His voice but it doesn't earn anything that has already been made mine.

I've read this over and over and I find nothing wrong with it.

I know exactly where she is coming at.

Notice how she words her words, "prayer plays a role only to keep me sensitive to His voice". She does pray but not to gain by earning. An admirable approach.

These are not words from a Word of Faith stance, they pray to earn, she prays to be sensitive to the voice of God. There is a difference.

If that is deception, then I welcome that deception.

2012/7/4 13:34
Trekker

northern USA

Re:

QUOTE: "I often think, if God hears and sees blasphemy, lies, deception etc, then He certainly hears the prayers of His people."==ENID

I like this. Comforting. But...just the same, if the prayers are heard but nothing received, does it make a diff? And when i say "received" i am NOT referring to THINGS.

Anyway, thank you for that word ENID.

2012/7/4 13:41Profile
Trekker

northern USA

Re:

QUOTE: " There is the example of Moses interceding before God not to wipe out the Israelites. The scriptures say God changed his mind. The other example is God looking for someone to stand in the gap to hold back his judgement. Tragically not one could be found. These two examples and others tell me God does respond to our prayers. Prayer does change things."==BEARMASTER

Good point. Also, Hezekiah prayed and God gave him 15 more years!

2012/7/4 13:43Profile

Re:

What about the things that God does anyway? There are countless times that I have watched the Almighty do things on my behalf and I never asked for any of it. He knew that I needed something and He just did it without a thought from me.

I pray because I don't want to lose that sensitive connection that could be easily kinked when I am drawn away of my own lust and enticed.

2012/7/4 14:09

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy