SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : FALSE PROPHETS, FOREIGN CHARLATANS and GLOBAL DECEPTION by Lee Grady

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 FALSE PROPHETS, FOREIGN CHARLATANS and GLOBAL DECEPTION by Lee Grady

Chris Oyakhilome, a popular African preacher with questionable
credentials, is sparking international concern.

When I arrived in eastern Europe·a few days ago I learned that
Romanian Christians have quite a spiritual battle on their hands.
Believers here struggled for years under communism. But now
that they are free, they face an equally sinister struggle against
cults, New Age teachings and-worst of all-charlatans who
claim to be powerful Christian prophets.

One of the most controversial figures in Romania today is Chris
Oyakhilome, a Nigerian broadcaster and faith healer who lives in
South Africa. Although this smooth-talking preacher has never
been to Romania, his influence has grown through his TV programs
and books. Meanwhile, some gullible Romanian church leaders
have visited his ministry base in Johannesburg and then returned
to impart his miracle power to their congregations.

But Oyakhilome´s "power" is questionable-and it is spreading
not only in eastern Europe but in many other parts of the world,
including the United States.

You may have never heard of Oyakhilome, but don´t be surprised
if his programs soon appear on a Christian television station near
you. The founder of a movement called Christ Embassy, which
began in Lagos, Nigeria, Oyakhilome already has 16 churches
in the U.S., mostly attracting African immigrants in cities such
as Dallas, Houston, Washington, D.C., and Atlanta. He has 39
churches in the United Kingdom (where many Nigerians live) and
18 in Canada, and his daily devotional books called Rhapsody
of Realities are supposedly available in 70 languages.

Why is he so controversial? Consider a few facts:

Nigerian Christians have long complained that Christ Embassy is
a cult-mainly because members reportedly are forced to give
money in offerings and are pressured to marry only within their
church. Oyakhilome was accused of engineering a money laundering
scheme in Nigeria in 2010, and questions swirl around his finances
because of his glamorous lifestyle.

Theologians and cult-monitoring groups have documented their
concerns about Oyakhilome´s "New Creation" doctrine-a form
of gnosticism that says after a person becomes a Christian, any
sin they commit is only in the body and will not affect the spirit.
Oyakhilome mixes this doctrine with a hybrid version of the
American prosperity gospel, claiming that God wants all people
to be rich.

Oyakhilome´s reputation as a faith healer was tarnished badly in
2008 in Johannesburg when a man told a Soweto newspaper that
Christ Embassy offered him more than $1,200 (U.S.) to sit in a
wheelchair and pretend to be crippled until Oyakhilome prayed
for him. The man went to the media instead of taking the money,
sparking concerns that healings were being faked to impress
growing crowds.

Perhaps most disturbing is Oyakhilome´s connection with T.B.
Joshua, a Nigerian occult healer who leads a mysterious group
called The Synagogue, Church of All Nations. Joshua, who claims
his mother carried him in her womb for 15 months because he
was a special prophet, mixes Pentecostal fervor with pagan
spirituality. After coming under Joshua´s influence a few years
ago, Oyakhilome began copying some of his bizarre mannerisms.
When I came to Romania last week I was surprised to learn how
many Christians here had come under Oyakhilome´s influence.
But as I did further research I found that Oyakhilome´s popularity
is growing far beyond eastern Europe. Thanks to YouTube,
Internet TV channels and a public that is often biblically illiterate,
Christians today are as vulnerable as ever to religious impostors
and deceptive con-artists.

Jude, the brother of Jesus, warned us 2,000 years ago about such
false prophets. "For certain persons have crept in unnoticed ...
ungodly persons who turn the grace of our God into licentiousness
and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ" (Jude 4, NASB).
Paul also warned that people will demand false teachers to fulfill
their lusts, and that those teachers will "turn away their ears from
the truth" (2 Tim. 4:3-4). Those ancient words are painfully relevant today.

Some Romanian church leaders have sounded an alarm. One of
them, Ioan Peia, released a public warning in 2011 listing various
false doctrines promoted by Oyakhilome. Peia urged Romanian
church leaders to "repent and ask God´s forgiveness, and ask the
forgiveness of our brothers, because we allowed a part of these
teachings to be spread among us and through us."

I feel I must sound an alarm as well. As much as I want to see
healing miracles restored to the church today, I´m not willing to
fling open the door to deception. The devil can fake miracles, and
if we don´t apply discernment in this vulnerable hour, impostors
will sneak into the church and unleash their doctrines-with
deadly results. Please don´t be duped by counterfeits.

2012/6/29 11:47Profile
bakary

GAMBIA, WEST AFRICA

Re: FALSE PROPHETS, FOREIGN CHARLATANS and GLOBAL DECEPTION by Lee Grady

2012/6/29 11:58Profile
bakary

GAMBIA, WEST AFRICA

Re:

I saw this same message in another forom in reply below is what i wrote:
Personally I belief this Chris oyakhilome is of Christ , I personally Know friends in our country who are part of that organization who are being deliver from the power of darkness through the instrumentality of that organization. That might not be a perfect proof of one genuineness , but what I speak I speak with my walk with the Lord. Having said that I do not agree with all of his teachings. I know he preaches prosperity, I am not against prosperity by walking with the leading of the holy spirit , in fact the reason why must of us in Africa keep begging aids from western Christians is because most of us do not know how to trust the Lord for the supply of our needs in stead keep relying on the arm of the flesh . If we do not know how to received our needs from the Lord we will become slaves of men. The Lord himself teach me prosperity because in Him I have found something more reliable than bank account. Recently I was talking with my brother about a friends of ours in a certain denomination , we where so sympathetic knowing how he have become a bondage to the system , and he cannot even raise a family though getting older , a word came within me ” if this brother knew what it mean to walk with the holy spirit he will never be in bondage to men or systems ” He do not have to rely on men . It does not mean because once is safe every things is possess. The holy spirit will guide us in things related to Life , His wisdom is needed in all things , yet we must learn to walk in the spirit.. But I also belief there are excess in the way the prosperity teaching is presented , the worst part is when men are told to wish anything and they will get it , that is a walk in the flesh. I know there is a place of degree, but it must be what the Father witness within. Actually what I love about this man is his teachings on Intimacy and devotions are edifying to me. Actually stated listening his message some months ago , I heard about him years ago but was not interested about him because I taught all that he had was miracles and prosperity teachings.
About the hear says and rumors the Lord have personally warned me on rushing into conclusion by just heresay. Will not touch. To those who believe he is false personally I do not condemn any one , we are save by believing in Jesus not in believing or dis believing Chris oyakhilome.

2012/6/29 12:00Profile

Re: Deliver him up to death.

The idea that a man can glorify his own name and enrich himself at the name of Jesus is of course offensive and of itself is false. No such calling exists. If it were to please God and I had the chance to see for myself or witness the falsehood and the wickedness of such a man I would rebuke him publically and ask the Lord to make a judgement unto death. Its time believers stopped making excuses for these charlatans. Regardless that they may have once believed if they cross the line and begin to lord it over the flock they should be prepared to accept a judgement from another saint with the cry "your life or mine! Let God judge".

2012/6/29 12:51

Re:

Greg,

As I read the article I thought to myself "sadly it probably wont take long for someone to defend this guy even on the SI forum..."

...and then I read the very first comment post.

Krispy

2012/6/29 13:08
bakary

GAMBIA, WEST AFRICA

Re:

Armkelly wrote:
“The idea that a man can glorify his own name and enrich himself at the name of Jesus is of course offensive and of itself is false” Did you know this man? How is he glorifying his name? who told you he us is using the name of Jesus to enrich Himself? Is it the Lord or your own opinion or others?
Krisppykritty wrote:
“As I read the article I thought to myself "sadly it probably wont take long for someone to defend this guy even on the SI forum..."

...and then I read the very first comment post.” Why should it be a suuprise when the “defender” as you claim believe as witness by the Lord that he is a member of the body of Christ ?Someone believe he is false and express his view another believe he is genuine should you be surprise that he express his view ? of courseyou should not be as you stated.

2012/6/29 13:28Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Guys is the very reason that when you put down the Western Church and hold up churches in other parts of the world as example, I shake my head in disbelief.

I work in Nigeria and spend around 6 months of the year there.

In Nigeria I do see the gospel being preached there but unfortunately it is the prosperity gospel..

2012/6/29 13:42Profile

Re: Reality not Admiration!

Quote:
Did you know this man? How is he glorifying his name? who told you he us is using the name of Jesus to enrich Himself? Is it the Lord or your own opinion or others? (Bakary)

Brother I have seen men go to the grave and always in these circumstances. Abuse of the flock is a serious matter. I sometimes think that God Himself can stomach a charlatan if he sticks just to money. Even though the love of money is offensive to the Gospel. Unfortunately it is almost never that simple. A person who is willing to deceive in the way testified too in the article has crossed a line. Given that young people and perhaps children read this forum I will spare you some realities.

It is always asked "has God told you" or "who told you". I read the article brother. How do you suppose I made the comment. If you say that the article is false then say so. Just in case you didn't realise it brother God doesn't need to speak for something to be seen. If the article is true this man is a charlatan. The fact that he is a christian simply means that sudden and visible judgment makes certain his being in the Lord's presence and away from the flock.

Money always glorifies men! Big cars etc always glorify men. It isn't difficult to understand. Its the Lord's name we should be concerned with not a man's.

2012/6/29 13:58
bakary

GAMBIA, WEST AFRICA

Re:

murrcolr agree with you must of what is preached is the prosperity thing. In fact I agree with you doctrinal wise Christianity in the west in my opinion is far far far better. Yet I also believe if you do not know what it mean for example to live in extreme hunger and need you may not see the need of people to know how to surreder to the holy spirit dealings even in issue of material life.you might not understand what is going unless you are part of those who seek food to eat and have nothing to eat and have to drink water and sleep.As long as we African do not learn how to trust Christ as our all sufficiency in all things we will ever remain slaves and beggars even to you western Christian in the west. If one submit to Christ he must become your lord in all things this mean he should lead you in the right business, job, etc to earn you living. But in some cases it is preach as " come to christ and all will walk well" without emphasis on relationship to be guided on the way to go.That the excess

2012/6/29 13:58Profile
bakary

GAMBIA, WEST AFRICA

Re:

armkelly: you are emphasizing money issue , the problem is never what you possess externally but what you possess internally , Gods way are divers He may allow some of His children to be extremely rich just to proof one of his chracter while for others he just takes care of there basic need and that all and this is also to proof another of his character which is the power to give the grace of endurance in all things. Look the scripture and will prove this.
I know that this is one of the organization who prints and give out book for free in our country.You Maybe to know about it and i learn they do that in other countries. I know it does not prove genuiness though

2012/6/29 14:11Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy