SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Access over 100,000+ Sermons from Ancient to Modern
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : New Book: Killing Calvinism

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Is there a book out called "Killing ...isms"? If so, I would invest in buying it.

So many Christians are married to isms, instead of Christ. You will hear them say, "My ism is what the Bible teaches" in order to keep others from questioning them. Not only is this wrong, it is dangerous.

When someone thinks that they cannot be wrong, or more importantly, learn something new that is not part of their ism, they are in real danger. Pride creeps in slowly, and then starts to strangle them before they even know it.

This kind of reminds me of the analogy of a frog placed in a cold pot of water, slowly heating to a boil, and a frog placed in a boiling pot of water. Which frog will jump out first? Which frog knows that it is in danger right away...?

2012/6/27 11:05Profile

Re:

Did you ever stop to consider that perhaps I believe what the Bible teaches... and that from my perspective (imperfect as it is) happens to align with a particular theology?

Everyone assumes I attached myself to some theology and then wrapped the Bible around it. Not so. The Bible convinced me of certain things based upon the teaching and revelation of the Holy Spirit. Come to find out... it aligned with certain theological teachings.

Got news for ya... regardless of what you believe the Bible teaches, there is already an "ism" for it.

It's insulting and incorrect to assume that everyone who disagrees with you is married to a particular theology and that they dont care a wit for the Bible. Nothing could be further from the truth.

And it's incredibly judgemental of believers to put that on other believers that they disagree with. It's looking down our noses is what it is.

There are plenty of people here that dont share every doctrine in common with me. Ginny and I are quite a ways apart on many things, but we have a great friendship and a lot of respect for one another.

Wish other Christians could do the same.

I'm very grateful for the Great Commission because it means I get to hang with the heathen instead of Christians once in awhile. I enjoy that more sometimes.

Krispy

2012/6/27 11:17
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

You mad brother? I do not remember addressing you personally Krispy, but only making a general observation.

If you are convicted by my post, good. Conviction is a great thing. I get convicted almost daily by postings that I read here and things elsewhere. If it further helps conform me into the image of Christ, I submit myself to it.

Pride is a killer. I know this because I am and have been a prideful person. I am trying to change, but can only do so in the Lord.

Keep the conviction coming in my life Lord...

2012/6/27 11:29Profile

Re:

No no... not mad at all! I love you, brother.

I apologize if I came across as mad.

I'm just commenting on some of the posts this morning aimed at people who believe a particular thing about scripture. I think it's judgemental and it should stop.

Thats all.

I dont care if you or anyone else is ever convinced about scripture as I am. It has no bearing whatsoever on whether or not we are saved. I'm not saved because I believe in reformed theology. Heck, I was saved a decade and a half before I ever know what reformed theology was.

And neither are you, brother.

Whats interesting to me is that those who are the most inflammatory about it are those who say we should never speak of it because it's divisive. I find a certain amount of humor in that.

Krispy

2012/6/27 11:41
rbanks

Re:

Well Maybe I shouldn’t let men’s doctrines bother me so much because there is nothing I can do to change it.

I reckon it is only because I have never heard anyone in the “Calvinist” camp ever explained why men perish, except only to blame God in the final analysis. I mean they can go all the way around the world with pages of doctrines and still end up saying that God only decided to save some and let the others perish.

I mean can you imagine a loving Dad having 2 sons drowning in the water and he had the power to save both of them but he only saved one, and why just one, if he is truly a dad who loves his children. It would make more sense to me and I would feel better that if the Dad threw out a lifeline to both Sons and told them to take hold, because he wanted to save both of them and that was the only way he could save either son. I mean then if one of them didn’t take hold and drowned at least the dad tried to save both of them, but the children had to take hold of the lifeline because that was the only way His dad could save either of them.

Anyway never mind, I apologize for my involvement in this thread and the other thread. I don’t accuse anyone and neither am I angry at anyone on SI, I only hope everybody the best in the Lord.

2012/6/27 15:47Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
I reckon it is only because I have never heard anyone in the “Calvinist” camp ever explained why men perish, except only to blame God in the final analysis.

You may enjoy George Whitefield.

Oh….. has anyone got some thoughts about the book itself – that is inspiring our chats here?

Diane

2012/6/27 15:59Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
Maybe I shouldn’t let men’s doctrines bother me so much because there is nothing I can do to change it.

Rbanks, It’s unfortunate that people have created a category called “men’s doctrines” assumed to be what man dreamed up (as opposed to God’s truth).

“Men’s doctrine” is typically a pejorative term applied critically to anything we don’t like (or can’t understand). It’s a great term for armchair theologians. Believing that we avoid “men’s doctrine” by reading only the Bible and putting ourselves above everybody else’s work is in itself “man’s doctrine” – or as Krispy would say – pride.

Take heart sister! I believe an important aspect of our spiritual journey is to unravel the faulty thinking in our own minds (call it “man’s doctrines” if you like). This is an ongoing process. Recognizing this to be a constant need can prevent us from falling into the danger of assuming that we are above “man’s doctrine”.

And that's one of the tenants of reformed doctrine: "Always reforming."

What do you think?
Diane

2012/6/27 19:15Profile
rbanks

Re:

First of all Diane I am a brother in the Lord.

Quote:

Rbanks, It’s unfortunate that people have created a category called “men’s doctrines” assumed to be what man dreamed up (as opposed to God’s truth).

“Men’s doctrine” is typically a pejorative term applied critically to anything we don’t like (or can’t understand). It’s a great term for armchair theologians. Believing that we avoid “men’s doctrine” by reading only the Bible and putting ourselves above everybody else’s work is in itself “man’s doctrine” – or as Krispy would say – pride.

It is also unfortunate Diane that you have picked out of all my posts using the word "pride" and the name of "Krispy" two times in two separate posts. You have not one time address any of my concerns. But you have repeated yourself twice and have come at me in two different angles but the same demeanor. Now you can have your "Calvinism" doctrine and believe that God gave it to men as infallible truth all you want and accuse me of being proud all you want. I will still believe that there are "doctrines of men" meaning teachings that are not inspired by God.

Matthew 15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Mark 7:7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Colossians 2:22 Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men?

2012/6/27 21:47Profile
David01-72

Texas

Re:

I do believe "calvinist" believe in the bible, but it is their opinions I have trouble with on the five points called TULIP. Even though some things i do agree with, but there are also other things i dont. "Calvinist" focus on, what i call "mysteries of God". There are some theories some "calvinst" hold to that maybe God doesnt want us to know, which could be dangerous if it is main focus of it. I know one thing Jesus wants us to hold on too and is The Gospel, The Word Of God, to be preached to everyone. Amen

God Bless Brethren
David C.

2012/6/28 1:43Profile
Koheleth

NC

Re:

Jesus-is-GOD wrote <<
I think that now that Brother Wurmbrand is before The Throne and in the Presence of "The Word of GOD" and seeing His GLORY, that if he had the chance to come back and change some of the things that he had written while on earth, that he would, and that one thought that you quoted would be the main one that he'd change.

He wrote many books. Some no longer available through VoM.
Books like "Alone with God" [sermons from solitary confinement] and "100 Prison Meditations" and others that are him rambling while suffering things that he admits were when he was out of his normal mind --- but I value all of his books - but they're not "sound" - as he'd say himself. >>

Unfortunately, this is just speculation or opinion. Since Wurmbrand already acknowledged he was out of him mind and that the writings did not contain "good theology", I don't believe he would change a word. Why would he? They are the testament of a man who came through solitary confinement, not seminary refinement. To change the words would be to change the testimony into something else. Something more sober or sane would come from a different experience, and since we don't want a lie, it is best to receive the writings as they are, from one who claimed to have had his most intimate experiences of Jesus in that place. I find the writings exceptionally edifying to faith and life in Christ.

2012/6/29 10:01Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy