SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Access over 100,000+ Sermons from Ancient to Modern
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : New Book: Killing Calvinism

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

Re: New Book: Killing Calvinism

I posted this thread in good fun because I loved the quote and agree with Krispy’s, “that’s certainly not a problem that is only unique to Calvinists.”

I do not believe 100% in Calvinism nor do I believe in a 100% in any theology that has a “man’s” name attached to it; they all are based on scripture and have a measure of truth in them, as well as a measure of UNtruth in them.

My personal belief is that we should just quit arguing about what we believe and LIVE what we believe. The truth is that our works will show forth exactly what we believe; whether it’s Christ’s doctrine or man’s doctrine. But that’s just my two cents, my friends!! Off to work again and won’t be on until late.

God is so good; his mercy is from everlasting to everlasting!!! Praise his holy name!
Lisa

2012/6/27 6:13Profile
brothagary

Re:

amen to your last coment lisa

2012/6/27 6:33Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
My personal belief is that we should just quit arguing about what we believe and LIVE what we believe.

Historically, this aim is alleged to be the reason why there has been so many fractures in evangelicalism!

PS edit: Does anyone wish to offer reasons why this is?

Diane

2012/6/27 8:05Profile
rbanks

Re:

Amen! I agree Lisa & Dianne!

Sorry if I offended anyone, my only desire is that you would rejoice in the Lord Jesus Christ and understand that “Calvinism” cannot bless the whole body of Christ: it only divides the body of Christ into segments; only Jesus can save those who put their faith and trust in Him and give real everlasting joy. We need to realize now that there will be no “Calvinist” in heaven. We will all have a new name and it definitely want be “Calvin” so the sooner you get over it the better off you will be. So be blessed in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Corinthians 1:10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

I’ve got leaping Joy, everlasting peace, and the fullness of the Holy Ghost and “Calvinism” didn’t give it to me, but there is a name above all others. He gave it to me. His name is Jesus, the Christ, and the Son of the living God. There are men who have blessed me with their knowledge of God but I am not going to be called after their name. There is only one name that I want to be called after and it is the Lord Jesus Christ. Amen! Amen! Amen!

2012/6/27 8:12Profile

Re:

Theology simply means the study of God, Bear. Open your Bible and read it and what is that? Theology.

Your own statements about God that you make on this forum is your theology.

An atheist who is trying to disprove God is practicing theology.

People call me a Calvinist, or Reformed... but the fact of the matter is that I have drawn my own beliefs from my own study of the Bible and what the Holy Spirit has been faithful to reveal to me. It just happens that what I learned from my own study of the Word aligns closely to Reformed theology.

I didnt set out to become "reformed", I just realized one day that thats what I was.

By the way, this book sounds good. It sound a lot like what John MacArthur has been saying about some of the younger preachers that have come along lately in the reformed ranks. He has had some really bold things to say to them... and even some rebukes.

Krispy

2012/6/27 8:18
roadsign

Re:

Just some thoughts on your comments here, rbanks:

Quote:
“Calvinism” cannot bless the whole body of Christ: it only divides the body of Christ into segments
I’ve got leaping Joy, everlasting peace, and the fullness of the Holy Ghost and “Calvinism” didn’t give it to me,

I speak generally, because your comments reflect a common way of thinking among us.

We rightfully should be concerned about the over dependency on names and isms. However, in our attempt to absolve ourselves from any association with them, we may very well be –
1) revealing our naivety about their influences on our own faith perspectives
2) considering ourselves above those who are associated with them.
3) revealing a failure to appreciate the struggles among those who have contended “for the faith” in these movements.
4) we become our own authority on what it means to be Christian

Of course Calvin and Calvin-ism are not synonymous! But, still, its influences on historical evangelicalism and other Christian movements cannot be underestimated! The Puritans were deeply shaped by Calvinistic influences. And that came over to North America. Even our economic and legal practices today are affected. Some good foundations were laid! Sadly, those traditions are becoming lost and replaced – to our detriment! Our prevailing ignorance of history (ex theological) doesn’t help.

One of the most significant criticisms hurled against the evangelical/revivalist type of movements is their anti-intellectualistic stance. Pietism and experience were the priority. Dogma was not!

You see the effects in modern evangelicalism: heart over head – ie, feeling over thinking, etc. You see this embedded in our language - even here. It's the water we swim in - and like the fish, we can't even see it.

This collective blindspot has only created bigger and brutal divides - and a lot of gullible Christians – often based on insufficient THINKING.

Ex: Evangelicals could have been a stronger antidote against liberalism if they had given thinking and scholarship a higher priority.

Let’s not be proud of our ignorance! A Catholic once said to me, “When people go to church they leave their brains at the door.” That, I fear, can be said for any denomination.

Jesus wants our minds too - but not to shut them down!

--------
Just curious – what do you think of author’s comments on the video clips in the link Lysa posted? Does he raise a legitimate concern?

Diane

2012/6/27 8:53Profile

Re:

Beautiful Diane! That was a great post and much more eloquently says what I have tried to say all along...

Quote:
Let’s not be proud of our ignorance!

Love it! There is a disdain among Christians today for studying and education. Interesting to me that centuries ago religious education was held in high esteem... and yet here in the 21st century church we are here on this forum decrying the condition of the church. There are many reasons why, but ignorance plays a key role... and the lack of Biblical education.

Frankly it's rebellion in nature.

Krispy

2012/6/27 9:04
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
Frankly it's rebellion in nature.

Yes, "Each does what he sees fit". Our own opinion reigns supreme. We can't see that we make our own INTERPRETATION of truth supreme. Ours FEELS right, and that's what makes it right.

Today we don't divide over doctrine. We divide over worship style. What does that say about us: feeling OVER thinking!

Let's not blame Calvin!

Diane

2012/6/27 9:13Profile
rbanks

Re:

Quote:

Let’s not be proud of our ignorance! A Catholic once said to me, “When people go to church they leave their brains at the door.” That, I fear, can be said for any denomination.

Jesus wants our minds too - but not to shut them down!

The bible teaches that He wants our minds to be renewed. It also teaches that we are to have the “mind of Christ”. If I am ignorant because I have joy unspeakable from the Holy Spirit and not from “Calvinism” then we will let God be the judge of that because I give Him all the praise for not getting involved in an “ism” that only divides the body of Christ.

Also who has the “Catholics” brain and to what purpose is she using it for? I realize there is a lot of ignorance to the things of God. We desperately need the wisdom of God and we should be asking God continually for wisdom in everything. We also need him to direct our paths.

I realize also my post may have been a little over zealous but I did restrain from writing a lot of things that could have been too strong. The Lord is my strength and my portion and whatever truth anybody receives came from the “Spirit of Christ” and we know man’s opinions about the “Word” are not always inspired. The truth in “Calvinism” did not come from “John Calvin” because if it is the truth it came from the “Spirit of Truth”. We can thank God for the revelation of the truth he discovered as well as recognizing the errors he also made that did not come from the “Spirit of the Lord”. When I say that I am a follower of Jesus Christ then there are no errors coming from Him that could divide the true “body of Christ” or do any damage to my relationship with God. But if I were to say that I am a follower of “John Calvin” (Calvinism) then I have divided myself from the “body of Christ” and have also brought some damage to my relationship with God because of the errors that came from him.

Anyway bless you Diane and you are a gifted writing and I enjoy most of your posts. I am definitely not a writer and I leave out so much that I could say verbally so much better.

2012/6/27 9:45Profile
lylewise

Celina, Texas

Re:

Quote: "If I am ignorant because I have joy unspeakable from the H.S and not from Calvanism, we will let God be the Judge". Or whatever word might be inserted in place of the title Calvanist. I think this sums up what many are trying to say even though each might say it a little differently.

One of my many appreciations of S.I. is for teaching me a healthy liberalism as a result from those many varied background sermons and individuals found here. I love those who I will never see this side of heaven because they love Christ first in their lives. Christians drive stakes through the heart of denominationalism and the other ism's When the glory of God is their main pursuit.

2012/6/27 10:26Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy