Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : New Book: Killing Calvinism

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Lysa

East TN for now!

New Book: Killing Calvinism

I thought I'd start the morning off with a grin and a quote from a new book out called, "Killing Calvinism."

Quote: We cross a line when we are more focused on mastering theology than on being mastered by Christ.

http://cruciformpress.com/our-books/killing-calvinism/

God bless us all!!
Lisa
(off to work!)

2012/6/26 6:27Profile

Re: New Book: Killing Calvinism

I agree with that... but thats certainly not a problem that is only unique to Calvinists.

Krispy

2012/6/26 8:34

Re:

I am in an agreeable mood. I agree with you both.

I believe someone has said Jesus is the truth. The New Testament is the truth about the truth. Theology is the truth about the truth about the truth. Sermons are the truth about the truth about the truth.about the truth. Best thing get back to Jesus who is the truth.

Breaux Bear.

2012/6/26 9:41

Re:

Hi Brother Bear. You know ... I think that now that Brother Wurmbrand is before The Throne and in the Presence of "The Word of GOD" and seeing His GLORY, that if he had the chance to come back and change some of the things that he had written while on earth, that he would, and that one thought that you quoted would be the main one that he'd change.

He wrote many books. Some no longer available through VoM.
Books like "Alone with God" [sermons from solitary confinement] and "100 Prison Meditations" and others that are him rambling while suffering things that he admits were when he was out of his normal mind --- but I value all of his books - but they're not "sound" - as he'd say himself.

The Word of God is "spirit", it's "alive", it's powerful as Jesus used The Word against Satan during the temptation.
It's more than just "the truth about the truth".
Jesus 'is' The Word of GOD - so His Word is GOD'S WORD and GOD's Word has the power to accomplish whatever He desires and doesn't go out void. There is Power in His Word and of course you know the many verses that go along with this one - Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Saying that The Word of GOD is just the truth about the truth does not come out as it should to those that don't know the Power of His Word and the fact that it's Living.

It makes The Word sound like 'just' a book.

I'm sure if Richard Wurmbrand could rephrase what he wrote, that he would, now.

Love in Him.

2012/6/26 10:58

Re:

Quote:
Best thing get back to Jesus who is the truth

....which would be "theology".

This is a dog chasing it's tail thread.

Krispy

2012/6/26 10:58
rbanks

Re:

Reading a little of the “sample” and the “contents page” I believe that he is right on in the message he is trying to get out to his “Calvinist” friends. I read the first part of how he became a “Calvinist”; it was like he was born again into being a Calvinist. I just don’t find it in scripture that we are to be a “Calvinist” or any other “ism”. He said about how the younger people were becoming “Calvinist” and how they acted. He also said that how he was born again, a Calvinist, without any cooperation with God. This really bothers me because there are multitudes of scripture that shows we have a responsibility toward God in our conversion experience. I am praying that more young people will be baptized in the Holy Spirit and follow Jesus, His Word and Spirit instead of wanting or desiring to be a “Calvinist”. Jesus is the name above every name not Calvin.

2012/6/26 17:20Profile

Re: Krispy

So Krispy you would say we need to get back to the truth about the truth about the truth. That is theology. Why not just get back to Jesus who is simply the truth. You know John 14:6.

Bearmaster.

2012/6/26 18:18

Re:

Folks may I point out the early apostles had no commentaries or systematic theologies. They had no complete Bible. They simply had Jesus who is the truth. Then they had Jesus in the person of the Holy Spirit.

I might add the Holy Spirit is what sustains the persecuted church where Bibles are scarce.

Bearmaster.

2012/6/26 18:25

Re:

Jesus-is-GOD said:

Quote:
The Word of God is "spirit", it's "alive", it's powerful as Jesus used The Word against Satan during the temptation.
It's more than just "the truth about the truth".
Jesus 'is' The Word of GOD - so His Word is GOD'S WORD and GOD's Word has the power to accomplish whatever He desires and doesn't go out void. There is Power in His Word and of course you know the many verses that go along with this one - Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Saying that The Word of GOD is just the truth about the truth does not come out as it should to those that don't know the Power of His Word and the fact that it's Living.

It makes The Word sound like 'just' a book.

I agree completely.

2012/6/26 20:36
roadsign

Re:

Just in case, you did what I did and misinterpreted the title, here’s a few more words which brings clarity to the focus of the book:

Killing Calvinism: How to Destroy a Perfectly Good Theology from the Inside
by Greg Dutcher........ .

In other words, the book apparently addresses the unfortunate threats to a good theology. It is not suggesting that we should attempt to kill Calvinism!

Quote:
but thats certainly not a problem that is only unique to Calvinists.

Lysa's quote from the book makes me suspect too that the book exposes the same problem that threatens any theological movement. The problem seems not so much the theology in itself as human nature:
Quote:
We cross a line when we are more focused on mastering theology than on being mastered by Christ.

(any further comments, Lysa?)

John Piper speak well of the book. He makes me eager to read it - because it seems to be a thoughtful and honest confession. (Am I right, Lysa?)

Quote:
“When this kind of critique and warning come from within a movement, it is a sign of health.” John Piper

2012/6/26 20:59Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy