SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Gospel for Christians

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
TrueWitness

The Gospel for Christians

Christians often make the mistake of thinking that the gospel is just for lost sinners in getting them saved and then after that it's pulling oneself up by one's bootstraps so to speak to attain holiness (sanctification). The truth is that Christians need the gospel every day. It causes us to be humble and not self righteous. It causes us to have confidence before God based on what Christ did and our being "in Him". We need to preach the gospel to ourselves every day. It is the power of God. We are not on a self-improvement program that combines grace and law. Paul was misunderstood when he preached the gospel as being soft on sin and sinners. He wasn't. Preaching law does not empower anyone to become holy. We are holy in Christ (our new-born spirit man) and we manifest that holiness by focusing and identifying with that new nature and spirit. It works itself from the inside to the outside.

Here is a wonderful video that discusses these points from Tullian Tchividjian's blog. It is only about nine minutes long. Enjoy

http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/tullian/2012/06/22/the-gospel-for-christians/

2012/6/23 0:25Profile
SonsofLevi

Richmond, Va. USA

Re: The Gospel for Christians

True....here's a few books that may be a good help to lead one into a "deeper experience".

The Way of the Cross by J. Gregory Mantle

The Spirit Filled Life by Rev. John MacNeil

Veni Creator by H. C. G. Moule

The Law of Liberty in the Spiritual Life by Evan H. Hopkins

The Holiest of All by Andrew Murray

Kept for the Master's Use by Miss Frances Ridley Havergal

The Present Tenses of the Blessed Life by F. B. Meyer

Union With God: A Series of Addresses by J. Rendel Harris

Jesus Himself by Andrew Murray

The Friend on the Road by J. H. Jowett

The Higher Christian Life by W. E. Boardman

These are a few I've read lately that, prayerfully read, would help a believer along to the Fulness of the Spirit with a full trust and full salvation in Christ Jesus. He is well able and longs to do it.

May our dear Lord Jesus bless anyone who thirsts after the Springs!

2012/6/24 2:24Profile

Re: The Gospel for Christians

Brother I cannot access the video link that you have posted. Is this video out on Utube?

However you do bring us to the heart of how we should obey Jesus. It is through the gospel. If the gospel be the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus. That which Paul defines in 1 Cor. 15. Then Paul's statement to the Philippians church makes sense. That they are to conduct themselves in a way worthy of the gospel if Christ.

Rich food for reflection. Thank you for posting this.

Bear.

2012/6/24 11:50
TrueWitness

Re:

I don't think the video is on youtube but it is found on PM Notes:

http://www.pastormattrichard.com/2012/06/we-do-not-move-beyond-gospel-we-need.html

2012/6/24 12:01Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

The problem with academic Christianity is the Holy Spirit is not trusted. The Spirit filled life is something written down in a book but hardly experienced. Sanctification is something Christ does but we never should follow the exhortations of the New Testament.

Having a deep prayer life of hours a day is not as necessary as reading systematic theology books for hours daily.

We ask that people do not post videos from other sources usually on the internet because of the 10,000's of different divergent views on Scripture. We have assembled Thousands of recordings on SermonIndex from saints we believe that were full of the Spirit of God and sharing the truths of God.

2012/6/24 12:24Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

And I would personally say the biggest omission from men of this type of thinking is that the Gospel is a message, it is not it is a person! One whom we worship and One whom His Spirit enters our bodies and resides there, so how could I say I would not need Him daily.

2012/6/24 12:26Profile
FaithALONE

Re:

AMEN from sermonindex:

And I would personally say the biggest omission from men of this type of thinking is that the Gospel is a message, it is not it is a person! One whom we worship and One whom His Spirit enters our bodies and resides there, so how could I say I would not need Him daily.

The problem with academic Christianity is the Holy Spirit is not trusted. The Spirit filled life is something written down in a book but hardly experienced. Sanctification is something Christ does but we never should follow the exhortations of the New Testament.

Having a deep prayer life of hours a day is not as necessary as reading systematic theology books for hours daily.

2012/6/24 12:37Profile
TrueWitness

Re:

The Spirit filled life is something written down in a book.

Yes, the spirit filled life is presented in the New Testament as the means to living the Christian life but it is meant to be lived out and not just something to be read and pondered. At least I hope that's what you meant.

If you had said "the Bible" instead of "systematic theology books" I might be able to agree. But as you have written it, I can't agree with your statement at all. Or maybe you meant to write "more" instead of "not as". Left me scratching my head to read it.

The gospel is both a person and a message. Nobody said that Christ is not the gospel. Gospel means "good news". And even though each Christian is indwelt with the Spirit of Jesus, many sadly don't live that life of intimate dependency or abiding in Him. So for them I would encourage them to preach the gospel to themselves each day.

2012/6/24 12:50Profile

Re:

Ok. I am getting a wee bit confused. We know the gospel message is encapsulated in the person of Jesus. Ok. Got that. We also knows one grows in Jesus by prayer and the word. Got that. Or did I?

What exactly are we saying here?

Bear.

2012/6/24 13:42
SonsofLevi

Richmond, Va. USA

Re:

Perhaps what we might say is that the gospel for sinners is that Christ died for our sins. The gospel for the believer is that he/she died with Christ. When that FACT is truly believed there is the Promise of the Father that is the birthright of every true child of God. God wants to fill his children with the Holy Spirit of Promise. The fact still remains that the only thing pleasing to God is what Christ does in us and through us. Apart from the living, conscious, unbroken fellowship and fulness of the very Spirit of Christ in union with Him our works and WORDS are vain. Hence the Promise of the Father.
I see every reason in the Scriptures to believe that Jesus Christ wants to bless every one of his people with a full trust and full salvation. The great emancipation from the world, sin, the flesh and satan that was effected on the day of Pentecost secures that for every one who believes and will experience Him in a deep and mighty way. Jesus Christ is well able to do it!

2012/6/25 1:13Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy