Image Map
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Pleading for active listening

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
lwpray

Sweden

Pleading for active listening

Dear Friends and Listeners,

May I address you out from a setting saturated by perplexity and frustration, much prayer and a good deal of pondering and consideration.
I will take off from what we have right under our noses, what we are able to feed our ears and hearts with. Ours is the privilege to be able to listen to some of the most pregnant and pointed preaching from the 20th century. These men, and you know perhaps which of them I would like to list as the foremost, these men has like the prophets of old “explored the theme of this salvation and enquired earnestly about it. It was revealed to them that the purpose they were serving was not for their own benefit but for yours”. 1 Pet 1:10, 12.

This goes on and on. I do not mark anybody for judgment, I only speak out of perplexity and with much tears and do so also out from my own ministry with the Intercessors Network.
These men, and many men set out to inspire their listeners, educate them, prepare them for hardship, set them right, set them on fire, prepare them for ministry. I am, as so many before me and now with me, amazed regarding the lack of impact this huge effort seems to make.
I am quite aware of the many smaller and larger missions projects going on in the world. We do some reporting on these things within the Network. But I am still frustrated, displeased, not at ease at all. Why are we not listening unto maturity?? Why do we see so little of that old fashioned holy discipline unto maturity in response to preaching?

Where does the problem lie? Minds occupied with anything and everything but Christ? Hearts not warmed enough? Has the preacher/prophet no right to bring conviction? Do we live in different times, according to new standards? Has the requirements and the standards of God changed? Has He become slack and shallow in accordance with the times, according to the spirit of this hour?
I am not after any of you for the sake of condemnation, a “better-than-you” mission. I am not interested to listen to your defence speech. I am so tired of the “after sermon” chatting. I want to lay hold of the secret of a true revival!!
What can we do to get out of these devastating routines? What must be done to lay hold of that for which we have been taken hold of by the Lord?
Lars W.

2003/9/17 3:49Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Pleading for active listening

Please read.
And pray.

2003/9/17 10:33Profile
TerryLee

Sweden

True revival, true religious affection:
A fervent, vigorous engagement of the heart in religion that is the fruit of a real circumcision of the heart, or true regeneration, and that has the promise of life; “And the Lord thy God will circumcise thine heart, and the heart of thy seed, to love the Lord thy God, with all thy soul, that thou mayest live” Deut. 30:6
Jonathan Edwards
Religious Affections, p. 99.

This, dear friends, is to a certain degree what is missing among us.
The Lord help us...

2003/9/17 16:25Profile

Re:

I found the following in one of my father’s books:

The world has lost the power to blush over its vice; the Church has lost her power to weep over it.

Author: Leonard Ravenhill
Title: Revival praying

2003/9/18 5:22
lwpray

Sweden

Ravenhill reminded us about a woman who listened to George Whitefield and who asked why he wept.
He said, ‘I weep because you don’t weep’, ‘My heart breaks for that heart of yours that don’t break.’
This attitude of Mr. Whitefield will bring any of us, if we lay hold of it, to the edge, to a breakthrough in the heavenly realm which will teach us what true revival is.

Listen to True Revival by Leonard Ravenhill

2003/9/18 15:53Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy