SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Glory in the Glen / Scottish Revivals

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Glory in the Glen / Scottish Revivals

Glory in the Glen – Outline

No nation on earth has a richer, more colourful and more longstanding heritage of evangelical awakenings than Scotland. Yet most people are almost entirely unfamiliar with this dramatic and somewhat incredulous legacy.

Of the infrequent historical studies written on Scottish revivals, most stop at, or before, the ‘Moody & Sankey Revival’ of 1873-74. Indeed it is held that very few genuine revivals have occurred since that date. ‘Glory In The Glen’ seeks to thoroughly debunk this theory, showing that religious awakenings were relatively common in Scotland until as recently as the late 1920’s.

Beginning at the year 1880, the author provides a comprehensive account of the many multifarious and exciting revivals that have taken place throughout Scotland during each of the successive decades up to 1940, when attention was turned to the War. Awakenings in the Outer Hebrides and among North East fishing communities, which favoured localities hold several unique and striking features, are considered in separate sections. Revivals among both children & students and Pentecostals are likewise seen as worthy of separate treatment.
Particularly significant is the inclusion of the first comprehensive account of the 1930’s ‘Laymen’s Revival’ in Lewis, which fascinating but near-forgotten movement is believed to have been even more powerful than the later, more-famed Lewis Revival of 1949-53.

This book is the result of painstaking research conducted over more than half-a-decade, with literally hundreds of source materials being consulted as well as numerous personal interviews recorded. Much of the material collected has never before been in public domain. Thus ‘Glory In The Glen’ tells a thoroughly absorbing and largely untold story.

The link to the book

http://www.scottishrevivals.co.uk/

2012/6/21 7:48Profile

Re: Glory in the Glen / Scottish Revivals

My dear brother Colin,

God bless you for that.

there is something about Scotland i cant put my finger on, but the ministry of Duncan Campbell and McCheyne have always been so beneficial to me.

what is the climate like now in Scotland?

2012/8/21 8:46
Elibeth

Hi murrcolr,

I have a friend,who is from here in the States,who is a misionary,
who has been living in Lewis.
She just married a man from there just this year.A very dear man,that seems to really love the Lord,who probroly has heard about these revivals that you mentioned.She and her husband,Fenlay,visited with and spent overnight at our home a few weeks ago.

Is that near you ?

Well blessings to you,
elizabeth

2012/8/21 9:32Profile

I can't help but comment on this tread.

I have had the privilege of preaching throughout Scotland several times on various occasions, and there does seem to be something special about it. Permit me just a moment to tell of my first trip there.

I had flown into London in route to my second trip deep into the heart of Iraq and Jordan to minister to the churches and their leaders there. This was in the height of war in Iraq when Christians were under great persecution and fleeing the country in droves. Those who remained were discouraged to say the least and many of them were in the valley of decision as to whether they should leave or stay. I had developed a wonderful relationship with the churches there by that time and they honored me greatly by asking me to come and give spiritual encouragement as to the way that they should go. I was so humbled by the request and the need, but I was so involved in the fast-paced life here at home that I simply could not seem to put a hold on things to really seek the Lord's face about it - so I got out of here early. I flew into London to seek out a place of quiet for a few days before going into Iraq. I knew the Lord spoke to me saying that He had prepared a place for me, so I just up and went.

When I arrived to the airport there I continued in prayer about where the Lord might have me go for quietness to seek Him about what to share to the believers of Iraq. I knew quite a few believers in London, having preached there several times at that point, but I wasn't led to seek any of them out. I needed a quite place, and only had a couple of hundred dollars to secure one - something impossible to do in London, apart from God's help.

Anyway, I thought of a brother that I had met in the UK, who lived in Edinborough, Scotland. I made my way to one of those outdated telephone booths and struggled to get the call through, but finally reaching him, I told him what I was looking for. He immediately gave me the name of Peter Stanway, who owned a beautiful old mansion in a small city called Kilcreggan, Scotland - just on the other side of the Clyde River from Glasgow. I called brother Peter and he had a room available for a small fraction of a normal hotel. I immediately boarded the train and soon found myself in Kilcreggan - a setting that is absolutely beautiful, but only the gateway to the most beautiful country that I have ever seen - Scotland. I discovered that Kilcreggan House (as the place that I was staying is called) had been in Christian hands for more than 100 years, and the beautiful suite that I was given had been stayed in by some of God's men of great faith like Hudson Taylor, Witness Lee, and others. The Lord had led me to the place that He had prepared for me to get ready for the journey. I had a spiritual honeymoon with the Lord there before journeying into the spiritually tormented territories of Islam. I have since gone back to preach and teach, mingling with the saints of that beloved land. Well, there is so much more to this miracle story when the Lord confirmed His way and spoke to me for the churches of Iraq. I realize this is a blog though, and I probably need to keep my stories brief so I will sign off. But oh, how I love to tell them. Walking with Him is sweet - and yes, there is something real special about Scotland. Surely revival will come!

2012/8/21 9:41

"Proclaimit"

that was a WONDERFUL testimony, and given the bandwith sometimes spent on subjects (i'm trying to term this with some measure of grace) ...of little profit, your stories are much welcome, and most edifying. deeply.

Iraq. Brother, when the Holy Ghost puts such steel in the spine of a man to venture there, i can only say, "hi, older brother, my name is neil, lets get to know each other, because we need revival right here in the Driftless Region of Wisconsin".

Now i know you dont travel around with revival in your back pocket, banish that thought, but this area around here, three counties in SW Wisconsin, Vernon, Crawford and Richland, for some reason, remind me of what Duncan Campbell must have encountered in the Hebrides, people are not unaware of Jesus, they know OF God and His Riches, but its dry wood, there are a plethora of mainline protestant churches, specifically United Methodist and Lutheran, and i wish not to speak ill of any denomination, but.......

if i speak ill of them, surely i must subject myself to the most searching light of self examination and my own unprofitable nature, and the sin issues I HAVE TO DEAL WITH, before going out in my area, i will not play games with God, nor with you.

just wanted to reach out and say i sure did love that little nugget of a story, in Jesus' love, neil

2012/8/21 16:29
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

HezWelling --- I don't go to church, I don't really care what the climate is like, I only believe what God will do... He is going to send a mighty revival to my nation which will go world wide...

2012/8/21 16:55Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Elibeth -- Lewis is a island off the West Coast of Scotland, I live on the East Coast of Scotland in a City called Aberdeen. If there was a direct flight to Lewis it would take about a hour to fly from Aberdeen to Lewis..

Hope that helps you...

2012/8/21 17:06Profile

Re: Colin

Colin, my fault, i wasnt clear, when i asked what the "climate" was, i meant the "climate" of the Body of Christ in Scotland.

2012/8/21 17:31
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

HezWelling --- I am aware of which climate you where refering.....

If you want me to call it as it is then I must say this "It's Dead"

That's why I don't realy care about the climate.

But I believe something that you can't see yet.

This woman in the link below has seen it and is still waiting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXnLICx-UwA

2012/8/21 18:57Profile

Colin

i'm sorry to have bothered you with my query.

2012/8/21 20:24

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy