SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : "I don't feel guilty" Ray Comfort/ Daily Evidence

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

"I don't feel guilty" Ray Comfort/ Daily Evidence

Some people don’t feel guilty when they sin because they have “seared” their conscience. Repeated sin sears the conscience until its muffled voice is no longer heard. This is a tragedy because the conscience in the voice of warning. Those who delight in sin, because they have dulled their conscience, are like a man who removes the batteries from his smoke detector because he doesn’t want to be bothered by its alarm.

To awaken a deadened conscience, simply take the person through the Law. Address the conscience directly by saying, “You know it’s wrong to lie, steal, commit adultery, etc.” As you do so, the conscience will confirm the truth of the Commandments. Always preach the Law along with future punishment, then pray that the Holy Spirit will come convict the person of sin, righteousness, and judgment to come.

Ephesians 4:19 who, being past feeling, have given themselves over to lewdness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.

2012/6/19 18:39
rbanks

Re: "I don't feel guilty" Ray Comfort/ Daily Evidence

Help me where I may be wrong brother but I believe Ray's main way of witnessing is to use the law. I believe he may be more right here for those who have already heard the gospel.

I believe the book of Acts is the correct way to witness to those who are lost as never really having heard the gospel correctly. They went everywhere preaching Jesus crucified and the Resurrection. They proclaimed Jesus Christ and repentance toward God with faith in Jesus Christ for salvation.

I believe we need to preach and proclaim Jesus Christ to a lost and dying world. I believe they need to be convicted more of what he did for them and what they are going to do with the good news of Jesus Christ than being convicted by the Law. It is not a good works salvation but a gift of salvation by his grace through faith.

2012/6/19 19:11Profile

Re:

If you have not heard the foundational message "Hells best Kept Secret" then you should start there. Here is the SI link

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=434&commentView=itemComments

I do not mean to be rude in what I am about to say.

Right now I am really not wanting to discuss or debate, Which some are going to want to do, about the use of the law in evangelism.

Maybe I will later but not right now.

God bless

2012/6/19 20:43

Re:

Quote:
I believe they need to be convicted more of what he did for them and what they are going to do with the good news of Jesus Christ than being convicted by the Law.

Quote:
They proclaimed Jesus Christ and repentance toward God with faith in Jesus Christ for salvation.

How can one repent towards God of breaking a law (sin) they don't even know they've broken?

2012/6/19 20:44

Re:

1Ti 1:8 But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;
9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;
11 According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.
12 ¶ And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry;
13 Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.

2012/6/20 20:53
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Some don't want to use the 'Law' for anything yet how many people who say they are Christians can actually tell anyone why their are Christians? For what purpose did they repent? I was never given any Law when my time came.I was taken through the book of John and Romans and was introduced to the concept of sin. I really didn't know what was. So in my ignorance my initial sin, which I could think of of that time was listening to Metallica? I was very naive back then. This was 1990 during a Jerry Johnston 'Edge of Evil' conference.

When I look at the Commandments I can see the shadow of my own heart and the heart of man. There have been times when I bring them up to people when it comes to sin and will focus on one of them with a person and get them to reveal their own heart in light of it. If God is there He will bring conviction. Otherwise it is just a matter of sowing a seed.

2012/6/20 21:28Profile

Re:

That sounds real good deadn.

A few other things to keep in mind.

God has given all men a conscience. This is the knowledge of right and wrong and place where thoughts accuse or else excuse one another,

Ro 2:15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;) {their conscience...: or, the conscience witnessing with them} {the mean...: or, between themselves}

This conscience can become seared through repeated sinning.

1Ti 4:2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
(KJV)

So then like you said you have to use one or more of the commandments to show that a particlular act is still sin in Gods eye's even though the person no longer see's anything wrong with it.

Also as you said the Holy Ghost is there as well to convict and press the truth of what you the preacher are saying. You are co laboring/working with Christ in the proclamation of the Gospel.

2Co 6:1 ¶ We then, as workers together with Him, beseech you also that ye receive not the grace of God in vain.

Much more could be said but I will pause.

2012/6/20 21:45

Re:

Great posts, thingsabove and Deadn!

2012/6/20 22:39

Re: Preaching Christ Crucified with convicting power.

To be honest, I cringe a little when I see Ray Comfort "evangelize". It seems to me that he thinks trapping a person logically through the ministry of condemnation [the Law ] and then following it up with direct guilt association is evangelizing. Maybe rather than a person being seared because they are not feeling guilty, they are just not convicted through this methodology.

"For Jews request a sign, and Greeks seek after wisdom; but we preach Christ crucified, to the Jews a stumbling block and to the Greeks foolishness,

but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. "

and...."But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe.

For there is no difference; for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus."

I have led a few people to the Lord. I have never beat them with their own admission of sin, but have seen the Holy Spirit convict them of sin, and have seen His Love manifested to them, so that they desire a Savior. This is the nature of salvation; To be convicted of sin while desiring a savior.

Only the Holy Spirit of God can convict another. There are no other methods. "Christ and Christ crucified."...God so loved the world.......

2012/6/22 12:25
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Quote:

by Brothertom on 2012/6/22 9:25:31

To be honest, I cringe a little when I see Ray Comfort "evangelize". It seems to me that he thinks trapping a person logically through the ministry of condemnation [the Law ] and then following it up with direct guilt association is evangelizing. Maybe rather than a person being seared because they are not feeling guilty, they are just not convicted through this methodology.

"For Jews request a sign, and Greeks seek after wisdom; but we preach Christ crucified, to the Jews a stumbling block and to the Greeks foolishness,

but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. "

and...."But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe.

For there is no difference; for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus."

I have led a few people to the Lord. I have never beat them with their own admission of sin, but have seen the Holy Spirit convict them of sin, and have seen His Love manifested to them, so that they desire a Savior. This is the nature of salvation; To be convicted of sin while desiring a savior.

Only the Holy Spirit of God can convict another. There are no other methods. "Christ and Christ crucified."...God so loved the world.......

To trap a person is wrong yet the sin within a persons heart will fell trapped anyway when the conviction of God comes upon them. I wonder, do you think it is better to share at least one of the commandments and show them how they cannot keep it and then allow them to back away from it by helping them with an excuse so that they know they aren't good enough and God understands? This is the conclusion that I come to with your post.

Everyone is different when it comes to evangelism. Some shout ( which I hate) and some are quiet with it. For me, I engage in conversation by asking questions and I will illustrate, for the person, what I am talking about and then ask them what they think. I watch body language and if I see they are cornered I will back up a little bit and maybe go done another rabbit trail that leads to the same thought, if that makes sense?

What is amusing is I have had a number of people enjoy talking to me because I am not pushing with my conversations. I think it is also why I have had many come to me in private, in the past, and ask for advice and even pray for a personal thing. I lay out what I think and why I think it. I listen to the other and if I have no answers I say it and I will tell them I will get back to them on that.

I see too many people carry their conversation like a person would in politics. Nothing but yelling and I am right , you are wrong , repent or die and so forth. I usually walk away from that and encourage others to do the same.

2012/6/22 13:06Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy