SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Open Air Preaching

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

It is interesting to note that the apostles did not make the sins of their hearers their main topic in the book of Acts. They preached so as to inspire saving faith in a risen Christ. For you can convince a man he is a sinner and he will still die and go to hell. But if you persuade a man that Jesus is Lord and that God raised him from the dead, that sort of faith will change his eternal destiny.

2012/6/20 19:34Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Brothers, we must not throw out the baby with the bath water. Just because there are many bad examples of street preachers doesn't mean we should do away with it altogether. Scripture is full of examples of that kind of preaching, from the prophets, our Lord Jesus, the apostles and disciples. It was the most prominent way by which God communicated His Word to the people.

edit for grammar.

2012/6/20 19:47Profile

Re:

Preaching points in book of Acts, that are ignored by many.

Intro: This short outline will highlight the scriptures and topics in the book of Acts that are often not pointed out in modern preaching. I would also add that we do not limit the points God wants us to proclaim to sinners just to the book of Acts. The whole of the New Testament as well as the old testament declares that rebuking people and calling them to repent of their sins is part and parcel of “all the counsel of God.” The Holy Ghost comes to “ And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment”: john 16:8 We as ministers of God must preach in unity with what the Holy Ghost is doing. A way of looking at this could be, Sin, righteousness, and judgment, repentance, faith and the cross.

(EDIT ADD, I agree that the order of presentation must be flexible, so long as all the points are covered to one degree or another.)

As much as I would like more Christians to proclaim “all the counsel of God,” Good news and bad news, I know many will not agree this is the way.
Remember must take in all that the Apostles taught and did not just in the book of Acts.

These are just some scriptures in Acts that would show what some call the negative side.

SINS

Ac 26:18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

Ac 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Ac 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

Ac 5:31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel,and forgiveness of sins.

Ac 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

Ac 13:38 Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through this man is preached unto you the forgiveness of sins:

Ac 22:16 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Iniquities.

Ac 3:26 Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.

Repent and Repentance

Ac 8:22 Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.

Ac 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Ac 26:20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

Judgment

Ac 24:25 And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come, Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee.

Ye Crucified

Ac 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
Ac 2:37 ¶ Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

Ac 4:10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.

Ananias & Sapphira
Ac 5:1 ¶ But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,
2 And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet.
3 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?

...... thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.

5 And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things.
Ac 5:9 Then Peter said unto her, How is it that ye have agreed together to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? behold, the feet of them which have buried thy husband are at the door, and shall carry thee out.

10 Then fell she down straightway at his feet, and yielded up the ghost: and the young men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying her forth, buried her by her husband.

Ac 13:8 But Elymas the sorcerer (for so is his name by interpretation) withstood them, seeking to turn away the deputy from the faith.

9 Then Saul, (who also is called Paul,) filled with the Holy Ghost, set his eyes on him,
Ac 13:10 And said, O full of all subtilty and all mischief, thou child of the devil, thou enemy of all righteousness, wilt thou not cease to pervert the right ways of the Lord?

11 And now, behold, the hand of the Lord is upon thee, and thou shalt be blind, not seeing the sun for a season. And immediately there fell on him a mist and a darkness; and he went about seeking some to lead him by the hand.

2012/6/20 20:49
dvndsn

Kentucky

Re:

I agree with everything said here. You could copy and paste those exact people, with the exact impressions, for my campus. I am a senior in college, and am ashamed at what open-air preachers do on my campus. People argue with them, throw things at them, play loud music next to them, it's really horrible. Don't cast your pearls before pigs, ya know?
Anyways, in my Christian walk, I have never met a soul who was saved from open air street preaching. I whole-heartedly agree with the approach, though. I have nothing against street-preaching. My encounters with open air preachers have just been negative. I tell you though, if Greg Gordon showed up on my campus, I'd stop and listen. Never have encountered street preaching like that.
When witnessing to a non-believer, you don't open with "You're going to Hell, you're against God, etc." They know their situation, but I just don't find it polite calling out people like that. Kind of like those bumper stickers that say "Try Jesus, if you don't like Him the Devil will always take you back!" ...My heart breaks at that because you get the same result as all the college students I saw turn away with disgust.
I was walking by a street preacher one day and he looked at me and said "Sinner! Repent before you go to Hell!" I just walked by and thought, "You know, he has no idea I'm called to be a missionary."

2012/6/20 22:24Profile

Re:

Our Lord and savior as well as the apostles were street preachers.

However not all are called to be teachers or preachers. yet there are many in pulpits as well as the street who should not be preaching.

However, preaching in the open air is biblical and needs to be done.

I would suggest to those who for whatever reasons do not agree or are turned off. When you see these preachers try and stay and listen. Act interested. Don't run off like everyone else. Pray for the person as they preach. If you find they are "doing it wrong" after they are done go to them and tell them you were praying for them and you care for them and want them to succeed. You know that it's hard for them to get up there and do what they do. then offer then them any corrective advice.

If they recieve it great. If they do not thats fine also. You at least tried to help instead of just acting like all the unbelievers and walking away.

You would be surprised though what may happen if you really decided to help and support them instead of writing them off.

So much more I could say.

I have open air preached countless times over the past 13 years. I have one on one witnessed a whole lot more over the past 25 years.

Pray to the Lord of the harvest to raise up more laborers for the harvest field.

2012/6/20 22:48
brothagary

Re:

that is some exelent advice amen things above

2012/6/20 23:12Profile
ArtB

New York

Re:

Would not Billy Graham qualify as an open air preacher?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIQ60AdL5AU

2012/6/20 23:39Profile
Trekker

northern USA

Re:

QUOTE: "I would also add that we do not limit the points God wants us to proclaim to sinners just to the book of Acts. The whole of the New Testament as well as the old testament declares that rebuking people and calling them to repent of their sins is part and parcel of “all the counsel of God.”==THINGSABOVE

Well said; i agree. To say that a person should never preach about sin while street preaching is totally false. One must be careful of the spirit one speaks with however, and "speak the truth in love". One must speak with humility and compassion, remembering one's OWN sins and faults first, and not speak in a self-righteous, critical or judgmental manner. Jesus never did so. And the only ones he REBUKED were the self-righteous religious crowd.

2012/6/21 4:32Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Of course we must preach about sin and hell. But if we use Isaiah 6 as an example, should men get a revelation of the majesty of Christ, they will see how sinful they are without going through a laundry list of their sins. Or like Peter who saw the Lord and declared he was a sinner, and tossed himself into the sea.

A poor man doesn't need somebody to remind him he is poor when he is the dinner guest at a rich man's house.

2012/6/21 5:41Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Thingsabove wrote: "Our Lord and savior as well as the apostles were street preachers."

I guess it depends how you define "street preachers" I agree that they were "open air" preachers because they preached outside.

I define a street preacher as a person standing uninvited and perhaps intrusively on a busy street corner or the middle of a college campus who begins preaching to people passing by, 99% of whom have no interest at best or are totally turned off at worst.

I still assert that there is very little of this in the NT. Jesus always had a WILLING audience-- and it seems for the most part that the apostles did as well. Perhaps not in every instance, but on most instances. LIke I said-- they were indeed "open air" preaching because they were outside. But that doesnt change the fact that in most cases people there were there because they wanted to be.

That being said, and like I said at tmy first post, I admire unsolcited street preachers (if they do it the right way) and I believe there is a place for it. But as others have observed, I do not believe it is very effective.

It is simply not a fair portrayal of NT preaching in the open air to compare it to street preachers standing in the middle of a busy campus or city street corner giving unsolcited messages. Two different animals. A much better comparison can be made to the OT prophets. They were often ignored as well.

2012/6/21 7:54Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy