SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Men's Groups in the local church, what is the purpose?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
dougkristen

Men's Groups in the local church, what is the purpose?

Hopefully this won't step on anyone's toes and you will hear my heart for discussion on this topic...

What is the purpose for men's groups at the local church? Why should men gather together?

What Biblically did men in the early church do when they were together?

I am in a situation where I am evaluating the men's group I am in and it's purpose and what we do and if I should continue. My thoughts are this.

Men should get together for a few reasons, to pray, discipleship, evangelism and study God's word ( not books written by men ) and to serve the poor/and widows.

Most men's groups like other's (I won't mention any names) have not done much to bring fruit in men's lives or reach the lost.

Any thoughts?

Grace,
Doug

2005/2/11 13:53Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Men's Groups in the local church, what is the purpose?

I attend a fairly large church (8000 members) and one the drawbacks to such a large church is that there isn't much accountability. I find that the small men's groups remedy this situation.

Accountability is very much needed in our age and I welcome it. In the group I'm involved with we discuss our spiritual walks with one another and nothing is left out, some personal and sometimes painful things are discussed but it is vaulable time spent with some dear brothers as we exhort, encourage, and edify one another.

On the negative side there is one trap in particular that my group has fallen into on a few occasions and that is talking about others behind their back (yes ladies, we men can gossip with them best of em). It is easy to fall into that trap in any church setting I guess, but I hate it when a group meeting turns into a gossip session and that doesn't happen in our meetings anymore.

I really think these small groups are very important for discipleship and encouragement. There is so much that is pulling believers apart from one another such as a large move I see of people leaving churches altogether. While in some cases this abandoning of a church may be justified, it leaves many Christians to fight the battle by themselves. There is a simple principle taught in Ecclesiastes that we can apply here;

Two [are] better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him [that is] alone when he falleth; for [he hath] not another to help him up. Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm [alone]? And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken. (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)

In Christ,

Ron

2005/2/11 14:16Profile

Re:

InTheLight... excellent response. I agree.

Doug... Seems you're at the same place in your walk with Him as I was about 4 years ago. Keep questioning everything. Dont rely on man, rely on the Word. Your walk with God is about to be kicked into high gear, brother!

Krispy

2005/2/11 14:32

Re:

ooops... posted twice!

2005/2/11 14:32
Holyhands

Re:

I think at not only accountablity is important but disicpleship! I have been trying to introduce that in to our local church for nearly 2 years now!I have found it very useful being a relativily young man myself! I have found it very useful to listion to the so called "OLD BOYS" who nearly always know best and know more than they let on! They encourage,humble and bless us! I thank god for them! To keep us stupid and headstrong ones with our eyes on him!

2005/2/19 11:27Profile
Holyhands

Re:

To answer the question!
Yes Mens groups are good however we should just waffle to eachother about things that don't matter! Or Bicker with eachother to win arguements!

WIN THE ARGUEMENT LOSE THE FRIEND!!!!!!!!!!

2005/2/19 11:46Profile
getrealwithg

littlefield, tx

Re: Men's Groups in the local church, what is the purpose?

The whole purpose for any organization in the body of Christ,as I see it anyway, is to get to know each other better, & find out how we can help one another to become the people God wants us to be, find out how we can help to make someone else's life a little better just by being in it.
Wayne
getrealwithgod

2005/2/19 13:23Profile

Jesus said...

....out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaketh."

If you want to know what is inside someone's heart, just listen to them talk. Their passions are what they like to talk about. Men's groups afford one the opportunity to find out what kind of "men" they are having fellowship with. If you are an "old boy" like me, you may want to pray for opportunities to impart some wisdom with the Word to the younger men. If you are younger, it can be an opportunity to keep your growth headed in the right direction. But if a group has no life within it, move on. Listen to the group, and if Jesus and His life is not seen or heard, it will not be a blessing to you, but a hinderence. We are either gathering are scattering. No one should feel obligated to remain in any group that is not gathering. Listen.......it can be your key to discern what the group is all about. Is it social, or is it Him. The group that lives for Jesus Christ to serve Him as He chooses is a wonderful organism to be a part of. Anything else is sinking sand.

2005/2/20 9:31

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy