Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
roadsign

An Overdue Oil Change

“Repent, then, and turn to God,
so that your sins may be wiped out,
that TIMES OF REFRESHING may come from the Lord.”
Acts 3:19 NIV

Did you know that we as the people of God require regular maintenance much like cars do? Car oil needs changing because it gets contaminated with acids, burnt fuel, carbon particles, and sludge which reduce the efficiency of the engine. The oil should be changed more often if you do a lot of idling, stop and go driving like rush hour, pulling a trailer, or driving in dusty conditions. Regular oil changes are the best way to ensure longer engine life.

Likewise, you and I need a regular “oil change” to ensure that we function efficiently as a people of faith. As we motor along in the rush of our fast paced world we can’t help but accumulate a buildup of wastes. It may be dusty habits, burnt-out ways of thinking, or polluted values. We may have absorbed toxic ideas from the media or our associates which have devalued our hope and hampered the maturing of our faith. We may have become so seized up with doubts and cynicisms about God that we have lost our capacity to trust him in faith. Perhaps our hearts have accumulated a sludge build up from habits of gloom, anger, or bitterness – or our wrongs that have never been acknowledged and forgiven. Maybe our countenance has become marked by heaviness; joy and inner peace has vanished. These are signs that the “oil change” is overdue. The warning light is flickering.

If we ignore the warnings we will run much like a car engine would: burn a lot of smoke, produce pollution, and waste money and energy. Like a laboring car engine, we will find it burdensome to love others. We become inefficient as a people in God’s kingdom, and we see little results for our efforts.

I realize that this is drastic talk. But let’s admit, we are not afraid to address harmful buildups in our physical body. So why is there a reluctance to admit this about our spiritual well-being?

It’s pride that influences us to feel offended by the suggestion that we need an “oil change”. We want to believe that we are okay and so we deny our neediness. It takes humility to admit that we have a sludge/sin buildup.

A good example is the biblical character, King David. Through hard knocks he came to see the need for a regular maintenance for his “innermost place”. But he didn’t trust himself with the job. He believed that God knew him better than he knew himself. He pleaded with God to be his heavenly mechanic - to do a thorough checkup, and then do whatever was needed. David wanted to have a clean and pure heart, because he wanted to run well. May his prayer be our prayer too:

Prayer: “Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.” Ps. 51:10 NIV

Diane

2012/6/15 8:40Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: An Overdue Oil Change

What would that 'oil change' consist of?

Repentance? Praying? Fasting?

Laying aside the sin which so easily ensnares us, Heb 12:1,
not to take it up again after the oil change.

Food for thought.

God bless.

2012/6/15 9:34Profile

Re:

In the natural world an oil change is necessary yes, but this oil that is in us cannot be contaminated, it just slowly becomes less and less. Instead of an overhaul, we need to add more to it. The oil of the Holy Ghost never gets dirty.

just my two pence.

2012/6/15 10:14
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

I guess a good number thought of the Holy Spirit as oil whilst reading this.

But I thought, go with the flow, so to speak.

God bless.

2012/6/15 11:04Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Diane was using this practice of an oil change as an analogy of how one needs revival - we need to rest, kickback, slow down do we can better hear the still small voice of the Holy Spirit.

2012/6/15 11:47Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy