SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : visions, dreams & prophesy

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
formidable

Perth, Australia

visions, dreams & prophesy

what is the place do you believe for these manifestations of the Holy spirit?
are they for today?
should we trust them?
what are your thoughts

2005/2/11 10:56Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re: visions, dreams & prophesy

I feel that these are things that God uses to teach us about Himself and to show us His will working all around us. If they are truly from the spirit then they should be trusted completely. Prophecy is not so much predicting the future as is commonly beleived but it rather professing God's word and it may well be telling of future events, but it also involves and is not limited to, preaching the Word, professing judgement etc, it is basically professing whatever God puts on your to proclaim.

2005/2/11 11:04Profile

Re: visions, dreams & prophesy

Ac:2:17: And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

I've personally witnessed to many whacky things concerning this stuff to have an unbiased opinion. It's something we need to be very very VERY careful of. I believe most believers, at least in America, are too ignorant of the scriptures to be able to discern whether a dream or prophecy is of God. But yes, I believe it is for today... since we are in the last times. However, I believe most of what is happening today is not real. Remember, along with dreams, visions and prophecies, the scripture also says there will be great deception and falling away (apostacy).

Krispy

2005/2/11 11:04
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

We meet again Krispy...
I certainly agree that we should be very careful of this because satan did start off in heaven and knows a thing or two about the spiritual realm. We should always be in prayer for discernment lest we get swept away by the deception.

I mentioned on that discussion about the guy who died at the Benny Hinn thing that there are some people out there who truly have these gifts. The thing is though that there are so many fakers that the ones with the gift get drowned out.

2005/2/11 11:31Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

I believe that Scripture teaches that where God pours out His Spirit, dreams, visions, and prophesy will occur. The real question is on whom is God pouring out His Spirit.

Job 33:

14 For God may speak in one way, or in another,
Yet man does not perceive it.
15 In a dream, in a vision of the night,
When deep sleep falls upon men,
While slumbering on their beds,
16 Then He opens the ears of men,
And seals their instruction.
17 In order to turn man from his deed,
And conceal pride from man,
18 He keeps back his soul from the Pit,
And his life from perishing by the sword.

In Christ
Jeff

2005/2/11 13:05Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Prophets and prophesying

Prophesying in its strictest sense is speaking forth or foretelling by the Holy Ghost. When the prophets said, “Thus saith the Lord”, they where not recalling things which the Lord told them but the were speaking by the Holy Ghost as the Lord. This is prophesying in one sense, to speak as God’s mouth. Another sense of prophesy is divine utterance given by the Holy Ghost, such that predicts future events or blesses the Lord or people or speaks concerning spiritual things. Concerning this gift of prophesy, not everyone has it and not only that it may or may not be permanent.

Visions and dreams are also different. There are discernment-type visions and dreams where you are seeing something that is literally happening in the spiritual world and there are prophetic dreams and visions. Prophetic visions and dreams are not always literal but they are often symbolic and predictive. This too is a gift of the Spirit and again, not everyone has it…. I am pretty tired right now so I have not given verses to support this yet but I will try and do so tomorrow.

And just something I want to through on the burner too is that, there is a distinction between the gift of prophesy and the office of a prophet…

James

2005/2/11 20:38Profile

Re: Prophets and prophesying

We have been in the last days since Jesus was here. The Apostles believed they were living in the last days.
The prophecy of Joel is more directed toward Israel. As we all know, Israel has been walking in spiritual darkness for quite some time. Jesus, their Messiah walked among them and they knew Him not. During the trib, God will remove the blindness. The prophecy of Joel will come to past.
In the mean time, read "The Christless Pentecost" by David Wilkerson found here in another thread. Then ask yourself these same questions. You should be equipped to answer them quite well. I'd really be interested in your comments.

2005/2/13 7:19

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy