SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Are you different?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Holyhands

Are you different?

Ok so here is a question!
Would you have acted differently than the disicples when we give them a hard time? Such as Thomas(doubting Thomas as he is known)Wouldn't we have asked the same questions? Or Peter the guy we all think blows it all the time! We give him a hard time for not having the faith to continue walking on water! How is our life? We have the holy spirit to guide us! We fall much like Peter! Even though we shouldn't! Are you different from them? What makes us able in our culture to look down on them! (WRONGLY)
Do we give them a harder time even though i would say they knew less than us?

2005/2/10 18:17Profile

Re: Are you different?

I personally don't tend to look down on them for their mistakes but, rather, am encouraged by them as we see the grace and forgiveness that, for instance, Jesus shows Peter after he had denied him. I find it very reliving to read that they were not perfect and it makes me think that there is hope for me!

I also find it encouraging to see that they actually are stronger and better people from going through things and that God works things together for their good even if they do get it wrong occasionally.

I think the problem comes when people put them on pedastals in their own mind and so are quicker to criticise when something goes wrong.

2005/2/11 4:10

I've been told I'm a lot like Peter... boisterous and crude, often speaking before thinking, but zealous. Offensive w/out meaning to offend. My wife is my Paul... pointing out my hypocrisy at times.

Boy... I have a long way to go.

Krispy

2005/2/11 10:31
Holyhands

Re:

I couldn't really say which disciple im like really! I try not to make to many mistakes which means i may not have just got out of the boat! I don't like to offend people! As i care about other peoples feelings! But what i love about the disciples is that you can see little bits of yourself in them and the fact that they are so real. i love that! I try as i read about them to think of them normally and just appriecate them warts and all. Even though it was a long time ago i try and get to know them by reading about them! :-P

2005/2/19 10:16Profile
inotof

Morehead, KY

Re:

I think that this topic covers what most be the worst part about being mentioned in scripture. In many cases those Great men had a split second to make a decision that we would have hundreds of years to pour over. I like to think that all the disciples were just like us. Just as James points out about Elijah. :-)

2005/2/19 10:46Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Quote:
Ok so here is a question!

Quote:
Would you have acted differently than the disciples when we give them a hard time? Such as Thomas(doubting Thomas as he is known)Wouldn't we have asked the same questions? Or Peter the guy we all think blows it all the time! We give him a hard time for not having the faith to continue walking on water! How is our life? We have the holy spirit to guide us! We fall much like Peter! Even though we shouldn't! Are you different from them? What makes us able in our culture to look down on them! (WRONGLY)

Am fully with you here brother.

In past times was always bemused by this. It's actually quite comical. Jesus was always rebuking His disciples for being slow of heart amongst other things. To hear a preacher/teacher attempting to make light of these 'failings' as if we somehow are above reproach just shows how little we know of our own selves. The tag 'doubting Thomas' is ridiculous, had always taken it to be practically noble on one hand, that he was not about to be deceived. This is also the same man that said "Let us also go, that we may die with him."

The fact that we know more now in the broad scope of being able to see everything that happened before and after ought to make us anything but haughty, as you stated;
Quote:
Do we give them a harder time even though i would say they knew less than us?

It's actually worse just because of that fact. How much gets misconstrued by not taking into account the whole counsel of scripture, taking a verse here and there and making wholesale assumptions. Like the way our own Philologos put it, in effect it's that we can lift these verses out to examine them, but just make sure you put them back again!

Side note. Used to pray a twist on the Lords words to Thomas; Joh 20:29 Jesus said to him, "Is it because you have seen me that you have believed? How blessed are those who have never seen me and yet have believed!"

My prayer used to be [i]"Lord, I would gladly give up the blessings, I just want to see You! Just for 5 minutes"[/i] Of course I understand it and the Lord has denied me that physical reality and later on I realized the selfishness of that request. Would often turn my thoughts to those that are more deserving, like someone being tortured and persecuted for their faith. It was a bit of naiveté then, but remembering Stephen...

2005/2/19 11:27Profile
getrealwithg

littlefield, tx

Re:

Exactly. It encourages me to see that, after almost 30 years of serving God, Peter was still caught up in the prejudice of the church @ Jerusalem. In fact Paul called him down openly for this practice. Then, when you really get to know Paul's writings, you begin to see that he really struggled with pride. It helps me to know that they fought the same battles many of us are fighting today folks.
Wayne
getrealwithgod

2005/2/19 12:54Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re: He did?

Quote:

getrealwithg wrote:
Then, when you really get to know Paul's writings, you begin to see that he really struggled with pride.

Could you please elaborate?

2005/2/19 13:25Profile
Holyhands

Re:

Yes please do! :-o :-D

2005/2/21 7:45Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy