SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Question on Bible Interpretation (Mark 16:17-18)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
proudpapa

Re: EverestoSama

Re: EverestoSama wrote
"Hey, I'm all up for it being in there. However, I won't be fully on board until they can find at least one with the long ending predating the earliest copies with the short ending"

OK so you think this might be the ending verse??

vers 8 And they went out quickly, and fled from the sepulchre; for they trembled and were amazed: neither said they any thing to any man; for they were (afraid)

Would that not be a depressive ending statement and conclusion for the book of Mark??

Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, (hath God said)?? We need to beware of the serpents voice of textual criticism.

Do you also have doubts with the Woman caught in adultry of John 8 ???

RE: EverestoSama wrote "There are just as many educated men and Bible interpreters who also doubt the validity of it's initial inclusion."

(And he said unto them in his doctrine, Beware of the (scribes), which love to go in long clothing, and love salutations in the marketplaces)

(For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God)

(For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness)

It is true the serpent of Historical Criticism has made its way in to some of the most Godly of Homes under the heading (I also believe in the inspiration of the scripture of the originals of course)

The Bible calls us to believe in things that the rational mind knows to be impossable. We are to believe in hope even when there is no Hope, that is biblical faith

The rational, natural, (sarx) carnal mind is enmity against God. It is the opposit of faith. It wants to be the God of it self, It wants to decide what is good what is evil what is right what is wrong what is true and what is false, and it is blind

What does the scripture teach about its own nature??

2012/5/31 14:36Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

quote:

Also @TMK, if you have any links to the info about Irenaeus quoting it, I'd be interested to read up on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_16#cite_note-20

2012/5/31 15:49Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

Quote:
Because in the context, that is the way it reads. What is the "figurative" interpretation of drinking a deadly poison?

I must confess that is making me think a bit.

I know spiritually we drink living water or polluted (poisonous water). There does not seem to be any documented case of a Christian taking poison in their mouth and living or not living. I cannot find either.

By the way, do you think the Lord is talking about animals here or the powers of darkness?

Psa 91:13 Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet.

While I am thinking on the point you made, do you think the "meal" in 2 Kings 4:41 is type of Christ?

2Ki 4:39 And one went out into the field to gather herbs, and found a wild vine, and gathered thereof wild gourds his lap full, and came and shred them into the pot of pottage: for they knew them not.
2Ki 4:40 So they poured out for the men to eat. And it came to pass, as they were eating of the pottage, that they cried out, and said, O thou man of God, there is death in the pot. And they could not eat thereof.
2Ki 4:41 But he said, Then bring meal. And he cast it into the pot; and he said, Pour out for the people, that they may eat. And there was no harm in the pot.

All the best,
Pilgrim

2012/5/31 17:21Profile
rbanks

Re:

Brethren we need to understand that this is Jesus speaking as he is recorded in the other gospel accounts and this is part of the great commission he gave to the apostles giving them authority through the Holy Ghost.

We need to understand the great commission was given with power from on high and the emphasis was to them who believed that they would through and by the Holy Ghost speak with tongues, cast out devils(this is power over the evil one),take up (or put away) serpents (because we have been given power over snakes a long the way of the great commission)and if we drink any deadly thing (because Satan will also try to poison us but God will protect us because we are going about the great commission) and they shall lay hands on the sick and they shall recover ( the power to heal the sick was and is part of preaching the gospel of the kingdom. Jesus gave His power to the early church committed to Him going about the great commission.

We must not use any of His gifts and power as a play toy or to tempt the Lord but we must understand why authority is given to believers for God's purpose only in fulfilling the great commission.

2012/5/31 19:33Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Because in the context, that is the way it reads. What is the "figurative" interpretation of drinking a deadly poison?

I would suggest it is not figurative; but again, it is not a suggestion either. It is merely a statement of fact. The snake-handling and strychnine drinking we hear about is obviously the consequence of poor exegesis and hermeneutics. It is unfortunate. Moreover, there is a sense in which the behavior is tempting the Lord as a means of demonstrating that God is among the people. God cannot be held to honor the abuse of scripture in this way. Unfortunately for those that do such things they have taken their lives into their own hands. (Exodus 21:13, 14)

In ancient times poisons were employed at times for the purpose of assissination. This could be one of the reasons why we have no examples of the phenomena. Unless someone were to confess that they had tried to poison a person or it somehow was leaked, the only other means of knowing would be by revelation. This would be particularly true once the Arab's developed arsenic type poisons, as they can be very difficult to detect. So I would suggest that this is the one phenomena that would be most difficult to track and record. We simply can't know how many people may have been poisoned and yet lived or may have accidentally drank something poisoneous and lived.

2012/5/31 23:38Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

46. For they heard them. He expresses what gifts of the Spirit were poured out upon them, and here he gives testimony of there use; and says, that they had variety of languages given them, so that they did glorify God with many different languages. Also, it may be understood of this scripture, that the different languages were given them not only for necessity, seeing the gospel was to be preached to strangers and to men of another language, but also secondly to be an ornament and conformation and worship to the spreading of the gospel. But mans self glory and ambition did afterward corrupt this second use, forasmuch as many did translate that unto pomp and vain glory which they had received to set forth the dignity of the heavenly wisdom, and still do today to their own corruption, as Paul doth sharply reprove this fault in the Corinthians. Therefore, no marvel if God took away that shortly after which he had given, and did not suffer the same to be corrupted with longer abuse. I know this will set the "unknown tongues speakers" at odds with what I write, but in fourty years in the body of Christ I have never seen a heavenly tongue that glorifies God, only man.
I have seen unknown languages spoken to different nationallities and understood, with God getting the Glory and people underatanding the Gospel who don't speak the same language who become saved by believing that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

I don't speak in tongues and I sure won't let a rattle snake bite me, the only place I see that in scripture is Paul on the Island when a serpent came out of the wood pile and bit him and the people marveled that he did not die and believed Paul was a man sent from God and Paul abode with them all winter, preaching the Gospel. God is still in control.

In Christ: Phillip

2012/6/1 20:16Profile
rbanks

Re:

quote-

I don't speak in tongues and I sure won't let a rattle snake bite me, the only place I see that in scripture is Paul on the Island when a serpent came out of the wood pile and bit him and the people marveled that he did not die and believed Paul was a man sent from God. God is still in control.

Phillip who gives you authority to interpret the bible concerning tongues. Earlier you stated that God has taken away the gift of tongues because of its misuse but based on what scripture. Then you brag about not speaking in tongues and that you sure won't let a rattlesnake bite you but neither did Paul He was gathering sticks and didn't know the snake was going to bite him. Then you state that the people marvel that he didn't die and so believed that Paul was "a man sent from God" which is also incorrect. The bible says that they changed their mind about him being a murderer when he didn't immediately die, nor swell, nor feel any harm from the poisonous snake and after looking for a while they said that "he was a god".

Maybe if God graciously filled you with the Holy Spirit and you were to speak in tongues then maybe you would be more correct about the "Word of God" and not try to interpret what the scripture do not state. Don't mean to be to hard on you man but I just don't like it when people willfully misinterpret the bible but maybe you didn't mean to do it.

Anyway I hope you find grace in the Lord as he has to overlook us all sometimes because of our ignorance of Him and His ways.

2012/6/1 20:54Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

1 Corinthians 14:18-23 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all: Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue. Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men. In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord. Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe. If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?

I am sorry if you think I am interpreting scripture wrongly.
Knowing Paul in all his endevores after he met Christ on the road and was blinded, on the ground off his horse, spoken to out of a blinding light, and told what to do. What else could Paul do except preach Christ and Him Crucified? Paul even states it is "MY Gospel", because Christ Gave it to Him to give it to youward.

Ac 9:3 And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:
Ac 9:4 And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?
Ac 9:5 And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.
Ac 9:6 And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.
Ac 9:7 And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man.
Ac 9:8 And Saul arose from the earth; and when his eyes were opened, he saw no man: but they led him by the hand, and brought him into Damascus.

Paul always preached in all his travels preached Christ and Him Crucified. I am sure he preached the same to the barbarians. I have never seen where Paul let people think he was, "a god". I am sure he did not let the people who saw the snake bite him believe he was a god either. Do you see in Pauls circumstance on the island of Melita where he would not preach the Gospel given to him by the Lord Jesus Christ Himself?

If you see a second blessing in salvation being filled with the Holy Spirit, I do not, I see the whole of salvation receiving the Holy Spirit and being born again by the Spirit of Christ as the whole bucket of Grace made unto Gods chosen sons and Our Father making His abode with us.

In Christ: Phillip-

2012/6/1 23:52Profile
proudpapa

1 cor 14

39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and
(forbid not) to speak with tongues.

2012/6/2 0:27Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: Question on Bible Interpretation (Mark 16:17-18)

I don't know why you would spiritualize this verse for any reason. You might be able to generalize it to say that in all sorts of potentially deadly situations God will deliver you from the ill effects, extending it beyond just snakes and poison, but I don't think it was meant to be spiritualized.

Paul was helping to build a fire and a snake bit him. The people were amazed when there was not ill effect from the bite. This is a clear example of this promise in action. I am reminded of a time in Charles Parham's ministry in which he took a drink from the glass on the pulpit and immediately knew something was wrong with it. He did not drink any more. Later an analysis of the cup showed the poison was so strong that it should have killed a horse, let alone a man.

2012/6/3 21:16Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy