Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Fasting

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
inotof

Morehead, KY

Fasting

Does anyone have any advice on fasting--? Like how to, how long or know of any messages?

2005/2/9 17:21Profile

Re: Fasting

Beloved, read Isaiah chapter 58 in its entirety. There you will see the fast that God would choose. Please come back here and tell us what you discoverd. I'd be so blessed if you did.

2005/2/9 17:29
PreachParsly

Arkansas

I belive a key in fasting is to see it more than just a diet adjustment. Many people think God is please with their sacrifice. Your sacrifice is nothing without obeidence. To me fasting is puting away something to fill that time with God ie more reading or praying. If you do not fill your time that you are taking away from eating or what ever it might be you are just making a time/ diet adjustment. Fasting is great! Use it to its fullest! Fasting to me has revealed in me how different my soul and body is different from my sprit. When I fast I can feel my body and my soul begin to die and live toward God for everything. Man shall not live on bread alone but every word that comes from the mouth of God! One thing i would say is dont be dumb about fasting... Dont fast and think that your body will be like you just ate a steak dinner. One time I was fasting and decided to play some football with some guys. I pulled a muscle in my leg! AHH! It hurt! Also if you feel like you should go without food and water for more than one day, I would deffinately try that spirit. Science says you cant go without water for more than 3 days. Moses went without water or food for 40. Make sure you pray and test the spirit if you decide to fast food and water.

2005/2/9 17:39Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Thinking about the time... Well I think your heart and intenseness (is that a word?) of the fast is more important than the length. I have fasted for several different time amounts. Some very long, some not so long.

2005/2/9 17:42Profile
TonyS

Kansas City, Missouri

Re: fasting

Lahry,

Fasting: My earliest memories of fasting comes from my time in College. Two slightly humorous incidents come to mind, the first was while sitting in the Dining Commons one afternoon enjoying lunch with a group of students. Two fellow chaps came in and sat down at the table. I inquired as to why they were not partaking of lunch, and they informed us they were “fasting.” My initial unspoken thoughts were “you might as well go ahead and eat now.”

I thought of the scripture in Matthew 6:16-17, “Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face; That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.”

Understand, I knew very little, if anything concerning fasting at this time. The second incident was from this same College era, I remember many a time I would skip lunch, go to the Chapel and pray. And oh my, what ungodly noises my stomach would make. Do you know what I’m talking about? You try to physically reposition yourself so as to not draw too much attention to yourself.!! Well that was me, and somewhat discouraged to my room I would return and pig out on ding-dongs, ho-ho’s and twinkies.

It has been many years since those days, but the benefits of fasting seems to have always escaped me. Lahry, I read Isaiah 58 again upon your recommendation and will look forward to reading posts from the SI family concerning this passage.

In these evil days in which we live, I want to seriously consider Christ’s words in Matthew 17, there are bondages that will only be broken when the saints “fast and pray.”

I confess, I am lacking in this area of fasting.

In Christ,
tony

2005/2/9 18:25Profile

Re: Well Tony,

.... I must confess that I'm not much of a "faster" either. Why? Because usually, when I think it may be good to fast, what I am really seeking from God is that He do what "I" want Him to do, rather than trusting in His divine providence and love. I'm not saying I'm against fasting. What I am saying is that it's not something I do. My victory is in the shed blood of Jesus. My hope is in all that His blood provided for me. My ministry is in the fast that God would choose. If you read Matthew 25:31-46, there you will see that Jesus' proclamation is in perfect harmony with Isaiah 58. Isaiah 58 has some great an precious promises as well. Perhaps I'll preach on this here someday soon. God bless you. Just keep living your life to give God the glory. Seek to serve Him in the down and out, the lowly and down trodden. He sees that as if it were actually ministering to Him. Selah.

2005/2/9 18:35
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

A number of us here on SI did a 3-day fast along with Times Square Church last year. I posted some notes back then that I have from a study I did on fasting in Isaiah 58, I will post them again here.

Reading Isaiah 58

[b]Improper reasons for fasting[/b]

1) Fasting just to get God's attention (v. 3a)

2) Fasting without focusing on the Lord, fasting had become a mere physical excercise with no affliction of soul or seeking after God.(v.3b)

3) Fasting without accompanying humility of heart. Fasting is not a way of impressing God, it is a way to humble ourselves before Him.(v.4)

4) Fasting for a brief external show of religion.Israel fasted merely for outward show.(v. 5)

[b]Proper reasons for fasting[/b]

1) To bring liberation from the bonds of wickedness and to set the oppressed free. Fasting prepares our hearts to hear what God has to say about issues in our life where we need victory.(v.6)

2) To relieve us of heavy burdens, replacing our burdens of every-day life with His burdens.(v.6)(see Matt 11:28-30)

3) To increase our sensitivity towards the needs of others, remember not to stay focused on self, but love one another as Jesus loves you.(v. 7)

4) To invest ourselves into our physical and spiritual families, becoming more responsive to the needs of brothers and sisters, husbands and wives.(v.7)

[b]God's promises to those who fast[/b]

1) Insight and understanding(v.8). God will give wisdom to solve problems and behave with discretion. (see Jer 33:3)

2) Positive changes in physical well-being (v.8)

3) A deep sense of what is right (v.8 "your righteousness will go before you")

4) A sense of immediate accesss to God in your prayer life(v.9). We do not pray to get God's attention we pray becasue we have His attention. Sometimes the world and sin can disrupt our fellowship with God, Setting aside time to pray and fast can bring us face to face with whatever has crept into our lives.(see Psalm 66:18 & 1 John 1:9)

5) Release from spiritual oppression (v.10) and a return to being strengthened by the joy of the Lord.

6) Moment by moment guidance from the Lord (v.11). Prayer and fasting will heighten our awareness of God's presence and guidance.

7) Peace through difficult times (v.11)

In Christ,

Ron

2005/2/9 18:56Profile
gtenigma

MD

Here is an excellent article regarding fasting.

The What And Why Of Fasting by Zacharias Tanee Fomum

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=11578

Enjoy,
Aaron

2005/2/9 21:29Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Re:

Quote:
by InTheLight on 2005/2/9 17:56:03

A number of us here on SI did a 3-day fast along with Times Square Church last year. I posted some notes back then that I have from a study I did on fasting in Isaiah 58, I will post them again here.

Reading Isaiah 58

Improper reasons for fasting

1) Fasting just to get God's attention (v. 3a)

2) Fasting without focusing on the Lord, fasting had become a mere physical excercise with no affliction of soul or seeking after God.(v.3b)

3) Fasting without accompanying humility of heart. Fasting is not a way of impressing God, it is a way to humble ourselves before Him.(v.4)

4) Fasting for a brief external show of religion.Israel fasted merely for outward show.(v. 5)

Proper reasons for fasting

1) To bring liberation from the bonds of wickedness and to set the oppressed free. Fasting prepares our hearts to hear what God has to say about issues in our life where we need victory.(v.6)

2) To relieve us of heavy burdens, replacing our burdens of every-day life with His burdens.(v.6)(see Matt 11:28-30)

3) To increase our sensitivity towards the needs of others, remember not to stay focused on self, but love one another as Jesus loves you.(v. 7)

4) To invest ourselves into our physical and spiritual families, becoming more responsive to the needs of brothers and sisters, husbands and wives.(v.7)

God's promises to those who fast

1) Insight and understanding(v.8). God will give wisdom to solve problems and behave with discretion. (see Jer 33:3)

2) Positive changes in physical well-being (v.8)

3) A deep sense of what is right (v.8 "your righteousness will go before you")

4) A sense of immediate accesss to God in your prayer life(v.9). We do not pray to get God's attention we pray becasue we have His attention. Sometimes the world and sin can disrupt our fellowship with God, Setting aside time to pray and fast can bring us face to face with whatever has crept into our lives.(see Psalm 66:18 & 1 John 1:9)

5) Release from spiritual oppression (v.10) and a return to being strengthened by the joy of the Lord.

6) Moment by moment guidance from the Lord (v.11). Prayer and fasting will heighten our awareness of God's presence and guidance.

7) Peace through difficult times (v.11)

In Christ,

Ron

I second that :-)

2005/2/9 22:54Profile
formidable

Perth, Australia

Re: fasting

ive done a few fasts, sometimes ive found it so hard to enter into,
the last one, it was like i broke something in me, now i love fasting.
ive decided this year will be a year of truly seeking HIM, with prayer & fasting.
on a personal note its good to shut the world out, let your spirit dominate your life not your body & flesh,
this site has some good stuff about fasting
http://www.freedomyou.com/

2005/2/10 4:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy