SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Famous science fiction writer: "Barcode everyone at birth!"

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
ccchhhrrriiisss

Famous science fiction writer: "Barcode everyone at birth!"

‘Barcode everyone at birth’
BBC
22 May 2012

Each week a global thinker from the worlds of philosophy, science, psychology or the arts is given a minute to put forward a radical, inspiring or controversial idea – no matter how improbable – that they believe would change the world.

This week science fiction writer Elizabeth Moon argues that everyone should be given a barcode at birth.

“If I were empress of the Universe I would insist on every individual having a unique ID permanently attached - a barcode if you will; an implanted chip to provide an easy, fast inexpensive way to identify individuals.

It would be imprinted on everyone at birth. Point the scanner at someone and there it is.

Having such a unique barcode would have many advantages. In war soldiers could easily differentiate legitimate targets in a population from non combatants.

This could prevent mistakes in identity, mistakes that result in the deaths of innocent bystanders. Weapons systems would record the code of the use, identifying how fired which shot and leading to more accountability in the field.

Anonymity would be impossible as would mistaken identity making it easier to place responsibility accurately, not only in war but also in non-combat situations far from the war.”

To read article, click on the links below.
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20120522-barcode-everyone-at-birth

2012/5/23 11:23Profile
MaryJane

Re: Famous science fiction writer: "Barcode everyone at birth!"

Each week a global thinker from the worlds of philosophy, science, psychology or the arts is given a minute to put forward a radical, inspiring or controversial idea – no matter how improbable – that they believe would change the world.

I at least like that the article said "global thinker" instead of "great thinker." ;)

Thanks for sharing, it can actually be a little scary to see how some minds work. Just one more reason for me to keep my eyes on the LORD and not the global thinkers of this world...

God Bless
mj

2012/5/23 11:48Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Good point, MaryJane. There isn't anything "great" about it in anything except the impact that it would have.

When I was in high school, I spoke to a computer technician who was installing computers in the computer lab at our local church school. I didn't attend the church school, but the pastor asked me to sit in because I knew something about computers and networking.

The company sent a man who was obviously not a believer. We were sharing about many different things and the topic eventually turned to Bible prophecy. I started speaking about the mark of the Beast and the various possible scenarios by which it could be implemented.

I explained that one potential scenario would include a "mark" that places a chip or readable code on the right hand or forehead that would replace paper money, credit cards, debit cards, etc...

When I was finished, he said, "Wow! That is a great idea! You will never have to worry about being mugged or losing your money or credit cards!"

Somehow, this technician had a "mental slip" and thought that I was speaking about "ideas" for technology. When he heard the concept of a mark on the right hand or forehead that would replace cash, credit and debit cards, he was ready to line up!

I suppose that in terms of the people of this world, this will be a "great idea." To a world that is increasingly looking at religion -- particular the Christian faith -- as a vice and fundamental belief in the Word of God as "right wing extremism," the idea of a mark that unites the world globally will probably seem like a good thing.

2012/5/23 12:03Profile
Compton

Re:

Chris' story is both funny and sad. Technically minded people who love practicing their craft so much that they will gladly build the latest "Bridge over the River Kwai" for whoever is in charge.

It's interesting that warfare was the biochips' first useful application envisioned in this famous" author's dystopian world view.

MC

2012/5/23 13:21Profile

Re:

Chris you sure are not speaking conspiracy?????

Bearmaster from the bunker.

2012/5/23 14:30
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Bearmaster,

I would appreciate it if you would refrain from accusing me -- or anyone else -- of "accusing" you of spreading "conspiracy theories." I can say with integrity that I have never had a goal to point you out personally for anything that you have written or repeated. Still, the rules on this ministry's website are very clear about such things.

This article from the BBC is not meandering into the realm of "conspiracy" as some other rumors that have been posted here have in the past. Further, it is identified in the post as being nothing more than the suggestion made by a science fiction writer.

Recently, you have mentioned about how someone will "accuse" you of spreading conspiracy theories. You even mentioned "someone who will remain nameless." Brother, there is a difference between accusing someone of spreading conspiracy, identifying unsubstantiated ideas that safely within the realm of "conspiracy" and simply cautioning the brethren from being given to such things.

As children of God, we must endeavor to be pure in our speech. The Word of God instructs us in this: "But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness" (I Timothy 4:7).

How do we differentiate between such things? Consider the following statements:

1. Mitt Romney is a Mormon.
2. Mormonism is not a Christian religion.
3. Mitt Romney believes in a White Horse Prophesy.

The first statement is validated by the individual's own words and cited by credible sources.

The second statement is true from the context of our Biblical understanding of the true Christian faith...even if this world (and Mormons) will attempt to lump Mormonism together with Christianity.

The third and final statement has never been proven to be true and the very idea of a "White Horse Prophesy" has been publicly rejected by the leaders of the Mormon cult -- the very group that is supposed to embrace it.

So, in this sense, the first two statements are true while the third is unproven, unsubstantiated and shouldn't be repeated by believers who desire to maintain purity of tongue.

This is but one example. In the past, some believers have suggested conspiracy theories about Obama being born in Kenya, a Muslim, or even a homosexual. There are individuals who repeat unsubstantiated claims about other individuals, groups and other things in an effort to line up to an assumption about Eschatology. While the end of that eschatology might be precisely on target, the chasing after what gets up from Point A (now) to Point Z (the end) can become an unhealthy distraction.

Like Greg (SermonIndex) has stated in the past, there is certainly a great conspiracy at work in this world. However, it isn't the type of conspiracy that believers are unaware of...or that is only revealed to individuals who are good with using Google. The revelation of that conspiracy is found in the Bible. The Word of God is clear about what Satan's goal for this world is...and that the only way of escape is by placing our faith and hope in Jesus Christ our Lord.

Satan's ultimate mission is to distract believers from faith in Christ. Often, those distractions come in the form of the pleasures and lusts of this life. Satan doesn't necessarily want everyone to bow down to him...but to simply forget about the Lord. A person doesn't have to worship Satan to go to Hell; rather, a person simply has to ignore or reject the Living God. So, Satan provides distractions in this world.

A distraction can come in many forms. There are individuals who think that they are doing the work of the Lord yet are being distracted from God via some of their pursuits or things that they do -- even in His Name. There have been individuals who spent their lives pursuing conspiracies -- trying to connect dots from the prophetic to the earthly -- yet died before they saw their connections (right or wrong) publicly come to pass. And, there have been some who have testified to having been freed from an unhealthy pursuit of conspiracies into a more meaningful pursuit of God.

If I caution the brethren about spreading rumors or innuendo, it is only because such things can be incorrectly presented as "truth" or that they can become a distraction from what is most important. Still, I would appreciate it if you don't repeat that anyone -- including me -- has an agenda to suggest that you are spreading conspiracy. There is a difference between merely pointing out what is unsubstantiated rumor, myth or "conspiracy" and purposely pointing out a person.

2012/5/23 15:33Profile
hulsey

Missouri

Re: White Horse Prophesy

Quote:
The Saints Will Yet Save the Constitution-When the day comes in which the Kingdom of God will bear rule, the flag of the United States will proudly flutter unsullied on the flagstaff of liberty and equal rights, without a spot to sully its fair surface; the glorious flag our fathers have bequeathed to us will then be unfurled to the breeze by those who have power to hoist it aloft and defend its sanctity. (JOD 2:317).
How long will it be before the words of the prophet Joseph will be fulfilled? He said if the Constitution of the United States were saved at all it must be done by this people. It will not be many years before these words come to pass. 12:204.
When the Constitution of the United States hangs, as it were, upon a single thread, they will have to call for the "Mormon" Elders to save it from utter destruction; and they will step forth and do it. 2:182. (Brigham Young, Discourses of Brigham Young, selected and arranged by John A. Widtsoe, p.360, 361)

http://www.mormonwiki.org/White_Horse_prophecy

Unfortunately, we as a nation have apostatized in various degrees from different Constitutional principles as proclaimed by the inspired founders. We are fast approaching that moment prophesied by Joseph Smith when he said: “Even this nation will be on the very verge of crumbling to pieces and tumbling to the ground, and when the Constitution is upon the brink of ruin, this people will be the staff upon which the nation shall lean, and they shall bear the Constitution away from the very verge of destruction” (19 July 1840, as recorded by Martha Jane Knowlton Coray; ms. in Church Historian’s Office, Salt Lake City).

http://www.lds.org/general-conference/1987/10/our-divine-constitution?lang=eng&query=u.s.+constitution

I was able to pull those two up, one off of the mormonwiki and the other off of the lds official website.

While there is nothing about a specific person being the one who 'saves' America, there certainly is an expectation in Mormon doctrine that the Mormon church will save America.

How this applies to Romney I don't know. I'm sure that there is talk among Mormons that his election is significant being that mormons believe that the Constitution is sacred scripture and that America is the new Zion and that Jesus will return to Missouri.

How it applies to us, well, I'm going to pray for the next President, that's about it. My hope is in another country and a better land.

2012/5/23 16:42Profile

Re: These are the factd...

Chris,

Hulsey's post addressed the white horse prophesy. But here are the facts. Fact...the National Defence Authorization Act passed by Congress and signed by Press. Obana revokes Passe Comitatas. United States Military forces can be used in police action against American citizens during times of unrest. President can declare martial law anytime. Constitution can be suspended. American citizens can be interned without due process in detention centers. Fact...America did this to Japaneese Americans during WWII. Fact...The United States operates secret prisons around the world under DOD and CIA authority. We just hear about Gitmo. Fact...Believers in Christ are living in a country that is hostile to Christians. Fact...Countries like N. Korea and Eritrea operate death camps for believers. Fact...Nazi Germany had similar camps for Jews.

Conclusion...Believers in America will find themselves in similar detention centers and possibly martyrdom. THIS IS NOT CONSPIRACY. THUS IS REALITY.

Caps are for emphasis only.

Bearmaster.

2012/5/23 18:15
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Bearmaster,

First of all, Hulsey's post did NOT address the "white horse prophecy." The term -- and the specific claims -- are not addressed in the link. The words in the link simply reflect a similar topic...but it is NOT the same as the specific thing recently spread about a "white horse prophecy." According to the Mormon "church," they do not believe in the "white horse prophecy." This is interesting -- given their embrace of many other wild ideas that they attribute to "prophecy."

The leaders of that "church" even issued a statement because of the rumors about it:

Quote:

"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is politically neutral and does not endorse or promote any candidate, party or platform. Accordingly, we hope that the campaign practices of political candidates would not suggest that their candidacy is supported by or connected to the church.

"The so-called 'White Horse Prophecy' is based on accounts that have not been substantiated by historical research and is not embraced as Church doctrine."

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/blog/2010/01/church-statement-on-white-horse-prophecy-and-political-neutrality.html

So, there is a distinct difference between truth and lie. To claim that it exists, that Mitt Romney espouses it or that the Mormons espouse it too is to spread nothing more than rumor and/or "conspiracy."

As for the other things that you mentioned, you are introducing issues that aren't a part of this...and you have a tendency to lack any sort of citation too.

As I said earlier, there is a difference between merely pointing out what is unsubstantiated rumor, myth or "conspiracy" -- and purposely pointing out a person. In addition, if we aren't entirely certain of a specific claim, then we need to season our words to say as much.

It would be a terrible thing to find out that we spread false testimony, rumors and lies in an attempt to do a noble thing for the Lord. Moreover, the pursuit of such things can serve as a distraction from what is most important.

This world will eventually meet an end that is foretold in the Scriptures. However, we shouldn't be focused upon those events (like Peter becoming distracted by the winds and the waves). WE should look to Jesus. We can test everything (I Thessalonian 5:21) and let nothing move us (I Corinthians 15:58). And, of course, we should avoid impure speech, rumors, gossip and assumptions that aren't firmly established.

"But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness" (I Timothy 4:7).

2012/5/23 18:28Profile

Re:

Chris,

Brother, honestly, why are you defending a cult system based on satanic deception. Of course. The Mormon church will deny the white horse prophesy and Mit Romney's involvement in it. They are a cult and will lie to achieve their own ends.

The scriptures tell us that Satan can disguise himself as an angel of light. Jesus said he is the father if lies. And you say I am chasing after old wives tales. If you are going to accept this then are you going to accept Islam is a peaceful religion. That is another lie from the pit. By the way I do not think what Hilary posted should be easily dismissed.

Chris you post about a global thinker who wants people born to be barcoded. You treat this like some theorectical debate or discussion. I post the reality of things that are happening. That have serious implications for Christians and you call them old wives tales.

Brother my focus is on Jesus Christ. But I am aware of a reality of what is called the persecuted church. A reality of what will soon face American believers. Teachers in this forum such as Art Katz have warned of persecution and martyrdom even to American believers. Greg has said that we should study the literature if the martyrs to see how they endured persecution. To learn from them.

Chris are you going to tell me that VOM and Open Doors are dealing in old wives tales. I don't think you believe this. At least I hope you don't. But brother I think you need to open your eyes to more of the reality that is taking place. This is not an intellectual, theorectical discussion. But this is a spiritual war for the souls if men and women.

Bearmaster.

2012/5/23 19:51

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy