SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Question on 2 John "The Chosen Lady"

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
EvangelTam

Question on 2 John "The Chosen Lady"

Hey all,

I was reading 2 John and the beginning of the address starts off as follows:

The elder,

To the lady chosen by God and to her children, whom I love in the truth —and not I only, but also all who know the truth
-2 John 1

My initial time reading this I understood that lady and children was another term for saying church and the converts within in the church. However after reading it a second time I started to get the impression that "Lady" is referring not only to the church but to a particular person who is part of the church and who perhaps was used to start it and thus has spiritual authority as a type of spiritual mother, one such as Pullinger or Carmicheal. When I checked the Greek the translation is:

Cyria, a Christian woman: - lady.

However I know this could be a bit of a stretch but still wanted to ask the brothers and sisters here on this point.

thanks

In Christ
Evangel

2012/5/21 18:22Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Question on 2 John "The Chosen Lady"

If you were to spiritualize lady to mean the church then who are her children?

Would it not be simpler to accept the fact the writer is addressing the letter to a woman? Seems to me some folks are very uncomfortable with a book being addressed to a woman. I find this amusing on one hand and annoying on another.

Opinion by another woman..:-)

2012/5/21 22:57Profile
brothagary

Re:

have you noticed how the letter ends

the children of your elect sister greet you amen

i believe it is the church john was abiding in at the time that was the elect sister

notice how the elect sister didnt greet the other believers ,,only the children of the elect sister did

the courpret church is the lady, and her elects sister

i believe this with out a doubt

john might have said to the elect church and all the children there greetings

blessings

2012/5/22 4:27Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy