SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : The Risk of High Expectations

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

Great thread. I wish more would be like it. Thank you so much. Here is one of my favorite verses that affirm this mentality.

"From the days of John the Baptist until now, the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence and the violent take it by force."

2012/5/17 8:19Profile

Re:

"It is easier to serve God without a vision, easier to work for God without a call, because then you are not bothered by what God requires; common sense is your guide, veneered over with Christian sentiment. You will be more prosperous and successful, more leisure-hearted, if you never realize the call of God. But if once you receive a commission from Jesus Christ, the memory of what God wants will always come like a goad; you will no longer be able to work for Him on the common-sense basis." ~ Oswald Chambers

Quote:
Do you think that every Christian has a vision or calling on their lives? I have often wondered about this. It does seem that some do to a greater degree than others; but I am wondering if all do.

At one time I believed that everyone did, but no longer.

Everyone is most certainly called to be saints, called to be saved even, but the ministry (namely the five fold ministry) not everyone in is called into. The majority of people are just regular Moms and Dads, raising their families, grow old and meet Christ. Being a good Dad is probably the most godly position to be in. If our children love us without any hesitation, than they will easily understand that God loves them.

Admin Greg Gordon is soon to be a father, his greatest ministry is about to begin, being the priest of his home. We should only look beyond the home only if the call of God is in our life to go there, or a vision is sending us away, otherwise, we should stay put and be mindful of the responsibilities that God has placed under our care.

I have seen many a man and woman leave the home on some spiritual pursuit that the Lord had not called them. They leave because of the Churches demand that we all must be called into the ministry. Paul would say to us, go back home and minister to your wife and children, be an example of godliness, holiness coupled with gentleness and loving kindness until your completely sure that the route that God is taking you is God.

2012/5/17 8:33
roadsign

Re:

Thoughtful posts…. It raises more questions.

Quote:
Do you think that every Chrisitian has a vision or calling on their lives?

Isn’t our calling and vision inherent in our salvation – why we are set free and set apart by God? But how can we see it if salvation is mostly about being rescued from sin and hell - and only a few Christians, like Paul are “set apart for the gospel of God” Rom. 1:1

What are we called for in this life? If this is hazy, then how can we have any solid sense of vision – a least a vision that is God-ordained?

Quote:
But if once you receive a commission from Jesus Christ, the memory of what God wants will always come like a goad; you will no longer be able to work for Him on the common-sense basis.

So then – our sense of vision, that is our “commission” might possibly be hazy because we are accustomed to understanding it through a cultural perspective – you know – career, special gifts, volunteer program, put out coffee after church … something we do.

What is implied in the calling to salvation – “called according to his purpose” Rom. 8:28?

Why are we still here on earth – and not called directly to heaven?

Should we share a common calling … vision …. expectation? Or is it an individual thing? I wonder if individualism has diminished our sense of purpose in God’s kingdom. If it's based on personal performance that’s bound to lower our expectations - and beset us with defeat or pride.

In light of the Chambers quote, perhaps many Christians have bypassed the Upper Room prayer experience - and have not waited to hear from God.

Diane

2012/5/17 8:38Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

The members of our physical body are all individual members yet orchestrated and directed by the head. If they are separated from the head, by virtue of being separated from the body, they will cease to function. Likewise, with the Spiritual Head and Body.

Our first calling is to Jesus Christ and out of that He will call us to many different and sundry things throughout our life.

1Co_1:9 God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord.

1Co_7:17 But as God hath distributed to every man, as the Lord hath called every one, so let him walk. And so ordain I in all churches.

1Th_4:7 For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness.

Being called and what the Lord has called us to is a huge topic as there are 220 occurences in the NT of "called". God is certainly not ambiguous, is He?

Pilgrim

2012/5/17 11:54Profile

Re:

Great thread. This lower expectations is something I have had at various times in my walk with the Lord. I agree with the OP that this can work against the plans of the Lord for our lives. I guess in every single aspect of our Christianity we are looking for balance , Fee called it the " Radical center of God's will." I have striven to find that and I believe that this will a goal of mine until the day the Lord takes me home.

If we take signs and wonders and miracles as an example, I have seen people who expect these and dont see them and people who dont expect these and dont see them. I have seen the presumptiousness of man, escpecially in certain circles, in regard to ministries and prosperity and so on. And so the whole health and wealth and prospering aspect of our lives in Christ seems to have been hijacked by men who only seem to seek after the gifts and not the giver. If we couple that with living in times when Christendom to a large extent seems to have rejected the cross in their walk, crossless Christianity, and who do not want to talk about the suffering aspect of Christianity, it makes this subject quite complicated, or maybe thats just me.

I do know that expectation is hugely important in our walk. If we go to church on a Sunday morning not expecting to meet with the King of Kings then we probably will not meet with the King of Kings. If we do not believe in Miracles then it is unlikely that we will pray for the miraculous or see a mircale. If we do not believe in the gifts of the Lord then there would be no expectation to see these and we wont. I know that the Scripture that comes to mind for me is that the Lord is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. If we do not expect to find something then we will not be looking for it....

Heb 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

Heb 11:22 By faith, Joseph dying remembered concerning the Exodus of the sons of Israel and gave orders concerning his bones.

Now Joseph had some high expectations, even if he himself was not going to see it........bro Frank

2012/5/17 13:17
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
Being called and what the Lord has called us to is a huge topic as there are 220 occurences in the NT of "called". God is certainly not ambiguous, is He?

This would make a great Bible study topic! What are the various ways God calls people – and to what?

To be honest, I have had no lack of sense of calling, but I can testify that God perpetually allows my expectations to be shattered. They don’t get raised – just put to death. I’m not sure what to expect anymore – other than God’s faithfulness to his covenant promise. And I’m not even sure how that should look any more – other than something different than I’ve expected. I admit, I keep on discovering God working in unexpected ways. I keep encountering the unexpected. It's getting to the point where I expect little other than the unexpected.

Is something wrong with me? Should I believe harder in miracles and expect them more so that they will happen?

Diane

2012/5/17 13:35Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

Hi Diane,

Yes, good Bible Study. I am already getting blessed. If you notice in the NT, Jesus was ALWAYS calling His disciples or the multitude. And, there was purpose in every time that He called one or many and our response should be to listen to Him when He calls and seek to understand.

Mat_4:21 And going on from thence, he saw other two brethren, James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, in a ship with Zebedee their father, mending their nets; and he CALLED them.

Mat_10:1 And when he had CALLED unto him his twelve disciples, he gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease.

Mat_15:10 And he CALLED the multitude, and said unto them, Hear, and understand:

Mat_15:32 Then Jesus CALLED his disciples unto him, and said, I have compassion on the multitude, because they continue with me now three days, and have nothing to eat: and I will not send them away fasting, lest they faint in the way.

Mat_18:2 And Jesus CALLED a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,

Mat_18:32 Then his lord, after that he had CALLED him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me:

Mat_20:16 So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be CALLED, but few chosen. (Maybe few are chose because FEW answer the CALL).

Mat_20:25 But Jesus CALLED them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them.

Mat_20:32 And Jesus stood still, and CALLED them, and said, What will ye that I shall do unto you?

Mat_22:14 For many are CALLED, but few are chosen (I think because few answer the CALL).

Mar_1:20 And straightway he CALLED them: and they left their father Zebedee in the ship with the hired servants, and went after him.

Mar_3:23 And he CALLED them unto him, and said unto them in parables, How can Satan cast out Satan?

Mar_6:7 And he CALLED unto him the twelve, and began to send them forth by two and two; and gave them power over unclean spirits;

Mar_7:14 And when he had CALLED all the people UNTO HIM, he said unto them, Hearken unto me every one of you, and understand:

Mar_8:1 In those days the multitude being very great, and having nothing to eat, Jesus CALLED his disciples UNTO HIM, and saith unto them,

Mar_8:34 And when he had CALLED the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Mar_9:35 And he sat down, and CALLED the twelve, and saith unto them, If any man desire to be first, the same shall be last of all, and servant of all.

Mar_10:42 But Jesus CALLED them to him, and saith unto them, Ye know that they which are accounted to rule over the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and their great ones exercise authority upon them.

Jesus teaching others TO CALL.
Mar_10:49 And Jesus stood still, and commanded him to be called. And they call the blind man, saying unto him, Be of good comfort, rise; he calleth thee.

Mar_12:43 And he CALLED unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury:

Pilgrim

2012/5/17 14:27Profile

Re:

Good thread with excellent thoughts. Reminded of the book J. B. Phillips wrote many years ago. Your God is Too Small. Makes ne wonder if our exoectatations of God are too small.

Bearmaster.

2012/5/17 16:13
Elibeth

Re: The Risk of High Expectations

I have truly been blessed by this post / thread.

Thank you, and bless the King over His Kingdom now !

The Kingdom of God,is the resurrected Lord in us.....He does not come to lye dormant / dead in a grave IN US,...but He resurrects to
be Lord / our King.
And He comes into us by way of the Holy Spirit to do this work,...which is
His work,....His working through us ,.....our allowing Him to resurrect and do it.
elizabeth

2012/5/17 18:54Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I wrote the original post at a time I was feeling very frustrated about what the "calling" on my life was. I had heard various powerful sermons talking about "dreaming big" and "fulfilling your calling" in the Lord and how "without vision the people perish." I was discouraged and was trying to perk myself up, as well as encourage others.

I have been a Christian for a very long time, but I have never had what I have had a strong calling on my life... i.e. where the Lord has specifically called me to something specific.. other than doing my best to follow Him. Obviously this website is a great calling.. and is an example of the type of calling I am talking about.

I have prayed many times: "Lord, show me what you want me to do... is there something I am missing... How can I further your Kingdom?" That prayer has never been specifically answered. Perhaps it is because I have not been faithful in certain smaller things, or perhaps because I am still in "preparation" mode (hasn't quite been 40 years yet-- but it is getting close!).

Friends and family say that i AM fulfilling a calling... but I still have the feeling that there has to be something more.

So I suppose I will continue to pray for greater vision. If the prayer is never specifically answered, I still have all the "callings" outlined by Pilgrim. After all, these callings are quite enough to be getting along with.

2012/5/17 21:30Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy