SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Authetication of the Gospel

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

The Authetication of the Gospel

Mark 16:15-18
Go into all the workd and preach the good news to all creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe, will be condemned. And these signs will accompany those who believe in my name.they will drive out demons, they will speak in new tongues, they will pick io snakes with their hands, and when they drink deadly poison it will not hurt them st all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well.

Mark 16:20
Then the disciples went out and preached everywhere and the Lord worked with them and confirmed his wotd by the signs that accompanied it.

Hebrews 2:3-4
This salvation ehich was first announced by the Lord, was confirmed to us by those who heard him. God also testified to it by signs wonders, and various mitackes, and gifts of the Holy Spirit, distributed according to his will.

These verses still valid today? Is God still confirming the gospel message by sign and wonders?

Bearmaster.

2012/5/16 11:42
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re: The Authetication of the Gospel

"These verses still valid today? Is God still confirming the gospel message by sign and wonders?"

Yes

and

Yes

2012/5/16 11:58Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re: The Authetication of the Gospel

Quote:
These verses still valid today? Is God still confirming the gospel message by sign and wonders?

Bearmaster.

I think the answer is certainly yes, in some sense, but probably not in the sense that is often popularized. The trouble with signs and wonders is that they are incapable of changing the hearts and minds of people that are in rebellion against the known will of God. Abraham tells the rich man in hell in effect, "They have moses an the prophets; let them hear him. And if they will not hear Moses and the prophets neither will they believe if one returned from the dead."

Signs and wonders are a form of light. The trouble is that folks already have more light than required to secure repentance and yet they will not repent.

2012/5/16 12:38Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

quote:

"The trouble with signs and wonders is that they are incapable of changing the hearts and minds of people that are in rebellion against the known will of God."

I tend to agree, but I am wondering why signs and wonders were necessary "back then" moreso than they are now. I know we have the Bible, but generally the unrepentant don't read the Bible.

2012/5/16 13:41Profile

Re:

When I initially asked these questions the thought that ran through ny mind was this. What is it that separates the gospel from all other belief systemss? What makes the gospel of Jesus Christ true? Some woukd argue that the gospel must be presented in a propositional, rationalustic argument. Give mental assent to these propositions then you are a Christian.

The first century Christians aitheticated or confirmed their message by signs and wonders. This set the gospel apart from all other worldly philisophies, even religions. At the center of the gospel was the risen Christ. He is the power of the gospel. I believe this was why Paul tells the Romans the gospel is the power of salvation. It is the power of the risen Christ living in us by the Holy Spirit.

Signs and wonders merely autbeticste that this message is true and unique as what the angel told the apostles. Go and tell the people the full message of this new life. This new life in Jesus.

As Sister Lisa would say just my two cents.

Bearmaster.

2012/5/16 14:35
brothagary

Re:

hindoisim is also athancated with signs
the anchrist will come with signs

mormonisim is also proven to have gifts of the spirit which involve signs

benni hin valadates his ministery with signs

jesus said many will come to me in the last day say did we not cast out demons ,and perform wonders in your name

miricals and signs also are wrought by the prince and the power of the air to deceive if it were posable even the elect,,,,,we need to be carefull brethern

2012/5/17 6:07Profile
rbanks

Re:

Bearmaster,

Good thread you have started here brother, and I very much agree.

To also comment on some others, who can't seem to get away from the negative side. I believe that you are missing the point. The word of God was and is to be preached in the power of the Holy Spirit with miracles confirming the word (message).

Here is a thought, concerning all the false religions going on in the world, that they have signs also does that mean our gospel is to have less signs or less power, by no means no, I mean the true God is most powerful.

Do any of you remember reading that when God sent Moses to Egypt to deliver His people what He told him.

Exodus 7:8 And the LORD spake unto Moses and unto Aaron, saying,

9 When Pharaoh shall speak unto you, saying, Shew a miracle for you: then thou shalt say unto Aaron, Take thy rod, and cast it before Pharaoh, and it shall become a serpent.

10 And Moses and Aaron went in unto Pharaoh, and they did so as the LORD had commanded: and Aaron cast down his rod before Pharaoh, and before his servants, and it became a serpent.

11 Then Pharaoh also called the wise men and the sorcerers: now the magicians of Egypt, they also did in like manner with their enchantments.

12 For they cast down every man his rod, and they became serpents: but Aaron's rod swallowed up their rods.

Notice they were able to do miracles, but God is able to do greater miracles. They have a little power but the true God has all power over all the power of the enemy.This is what Jesus told his disciples that he gives them power over all the power of the enemy and nothing shall by any means harm them. This power from God is needed today that authenticates the true gospel of the kingdom and so many are intimidated because of the false and so many are weak because they have settled for just a "word gospel" with no power to perform any miracles.

Brother/sister you say you believe in God, what God do you believe in, a god who is a "has been" who doesn't do miracles anymore because only the devil can do miracles now. Oh no, the true God is not a figment of your imagination or religiosity but the true God demonstrates His love and supremacy over all by the power of the gospel confirming His "Word" with signs and wonders following.

The true God demonstrates His supremacy over all by those who do great exploits.

Daniel 11:32 And such as do wickedly against the covenant shall he corrupt by flatteries: but the people that do know their God shall be strong, and do exploits.

Jeremiah 33:3 Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.

Ephesians 3:20 Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,

Jesus said I build my church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. People who have a form of godliness and deny the power thereof are not in His church.

Blessings to all...from brother rbanks

2012/5/17 8:09Profile

Re: Brother Rbanks

Brother appreciate the affirmation and balance you bring on the thread. Likewise appreciate what Brother Gary, Paul Compton, and others are saying that we should not magnify signs and wonders. But not discount them either.

Paul writes to the Galatians that does God who works miracles among you and give you his Spirit do it by recieving the law or hearing with faith. And this in a letter that was in the context of setting forth the gospel against the law. It would seem that a procamation of the gospel does come accompanied by signs and wonders. Again this is to confirm the truth of Jesus being proclamed.

Our emphasis is not to be signs and wonders but our emphasis is the truth of Jesus. But then likewise our emphasis is not to be on Jesus without signs and wonders. Without power in his name. I am not talking about engaging in polemic truth. That which tickles our mind. But I am speaking of an encounter with the Living Truth who changes our hearts. An encounter with Jesus himself.

Brother Bear.

2012/5/17 9:07

Re:

As I post this I am reminded that Jesus told his disciples in John 14:11 to believe him when he said he was in the Father and the Father in him. Or st least to believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves. Again this suggest that a procamation of the truth if Jesus can be accompanied by miracles themselves. And as Brother Thanks pointed out miracles that the devil cannot duplicate.

In the verses that follow Jesus tells his disciples that anyone who has faith in him will do what he had been doing. They will do even greater things because he is going to the Father. That would be a whole thread in itself. But Jesus appears to be laying the groundwork for a gospel confirmed by signs and wonders to follow him and those who oreach him.

Any thoughts on this.

Bearmaster.

2012/5/17 9:27
pilgrim777

Re:

I know how the Muslims call us "the people of the book", but when you think about it, Christianity is not really a "book religion". What differentiates Christianity from every other religion is the indwelling presence of Christ.

For many years Believers did not have the written Word, though it was written on their heart. They were not lost because they had the Spirit of God within.

Many religions are a "book religion" but Christianity is not. I reject that characterization and have explained that to my Muslim friends. Christianity is Christ and Christ is Christianity.

If they take our "book" from us, it does not destroy us. If they wipe out the book from earth, the Holy Spirit is still here.

Pilgrim

2012/5/17 11:01Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy