SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Thinking Christianly

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
markitats

Springdale AR

Thinking Christianly

So I’m in a new class this semester and it’s called apologetics (that means what you believe and why). We had our first lesson today and it was about thinking Christianly. I thought I’d write about what I learned today.
2 Kings 6:8-19= King of Syria was warring against Israel, but they always seemed to be ready for any attack. The Syrian’s realized that God was always warning Israel through their prophet Elisha. Then Syria plotted to capture Elisha in Dothan. In those days the had what we would refer to as a school of prophets. Basically you were mentored by another prophet of that time. As the story goes Elisha’s student was out one morning when he saw a huge army with horses and chariots surrounding the city. The student because very scared and asked, “What shall we do?” Elisha replied, “Lord open his eyes so he can see.” God opened that students eyes to a army of horses and chariots of fire around Elisha. At that point Elisha prayed that God would strike the Syrian’s with blindness. The lord did blind them and Elisha said that he would lead them to the man they sought after. Elisha led them to Samaria and than prayed the blindness away. Thus the Syrian’s never made trouble in Israel again.
There are some points to be made about this story.
1st Both Elisha and the servant looked at the same event, but saw totally different things.= We as Christian’s should look at our problems in God’s eyes not with fear.
2nd Being part of God’s people is no guarantee= you can be in the right church or around other Godly people, but still may not see God’s prospective.
3rd Being around God’s word is no guarantee= we can hear all the sermon’s in the world and read 30 chapter’s of the Bible and still not see what God is trying to show us.
4th Only Elisha’s assessment of the situation was correct= because he was looking at the situation form God’s eyes. He was thinking Christianly.
5th We can present truth, but only God can open eyes.

2005/2/7 20:19Profile

Re: Thinking Christianly

I like it."We can present truth, but only God can open eyes". Amen and amen. You're off to a very good start. Keep us posted. \o/

2005/2/7 20:57
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Thinking Christianly

Quote:
[u]markitats writes:[/u] In those days the had what we would refer to as a school of prophets. Basically you were mentored by another prophet of that time. As the story goes Elisha’s student was out one morning...

I think your conclusions from the text are good and legitimate, but this introduction is reading the Old Testament through 21st century eyes! There is no biblical indication that the school of prophets was a 'teaching institution' or that one prophet 'mentored' another. There is no necessary connection between this 'school of prophets' and Elisha's 'servant'.

Elisha's 'servant' sounds very much like the role that John Mark had with Barnabas and Paul; their 'deacon' or servant/bagcarrier. It is a great place to learn but the modern idea of mentoring is somewhat different. Mentoring is training someone for a future role; these 'servants' were serving because that was their heart, not because it was part of a career structure.

2005/2/8 2:49Profile
markitats

Springdale AR

Re:

Good sir, I did not think I alluded to the fact that I was trying to look through the eyes of the Old Testament times, but my whole writing was based upon as you stated, “through the 21st century eyes”. I agree whole-heartedly with your response. Also when you stated, “These 'servants' were serving because that was their heart, not because it was part of a career structure.” While I have no problem agreeing with that too, I am convinced that servants’ today should serve because that it is their heart. If it is not their heart they need to pray that God would give them the grace to change their heart. Thank you for your comments. God Bless.

2005/2/8 10:17Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy