SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The importance of the resurrection is that. . .

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ET101

The importance of the resurrection is that. . .

This is from Spurgeon's Morning and Evening devotional for morning of May 10th:

May 10

Morning
“But now is Christ risen from the dead.”

- 1Co_15:20

The whole system of Christianity rests upon the fact that “Christ is risen from the dead;” for, “If Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain: ye are yet in your sins.” The divinity of Christ finds its surest proof in his resurrection, since he was “Declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead.” It would not be unreasonable to doubt his Deity if he had not risen. Moreover, Christ’s sovereignty depends upon his resurrection, “For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.” Again, our justification, that choice blessing of the covenant, is linked with Christ’s triumphant victory over death and the grave; for “He was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.” Nay, more, our very regeneration is connected with his resurrection, for we are “Begotten again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.” And most certainly our ultimate resurrection rests here, for, “If the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.” If Christ be not risen, then shall we not rise; but if he be risen then they who are asleep in Christ have not perished, but in their flesh shall surely behold their God. Thus, the silver thread of resurrection runs through all the believer’s blessings, from his regeneration onwards to his eternal glory, and binds them together. How important then will this glorious fact be in his estimation, and how will he rejoice that beyond a doubt it is established, that “now is Christ risen from the dead.”

“The promise is fulfill’d,
Redemption’s work is done,
Justice with mercy’s reconciled,
For God has raised his Son.”

----

My question is this: it's often said that we don't follow signs and wonders. Indeed even Satan can employ them. We see this in say, the account of the signs and wonders of Pharaoh's magicians in contrast to Moses'.

So, why does such an important facet of the faith (the deity of Christ) rest on a sign and wonder (Christ's resurrection)?

If the enemy performs a sign and wonder to raise a man from the dead in the name of another religion, do we then leave Christ and follow this other religion because there is resurrection power there?

2012/5/10 1:43Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re: The importance of the resurrection is that. . .

Mt 24:23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.

Mr 13:21 And then if any man shall say to you, Lo, here is Christ; or, lo, he is there; believe him not:

We will know when He comes.

Joh 10:14 I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.

Joh 10:15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.

Joh 10:16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

Those that have Christ in them are already acquainted with Him. We will know when He comes, we need no sign but the sign of Jonah, Christ being in the belly of the earth, and resurrected and come back to live in those the Father has given Him.

2Co 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Ga 6:15 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.

Colossians 1:27-29 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

In Christ, listening for His voice: Phillip

2012/5/10 20:06Profile
Lovefirst

Lake Charles, LA

Re: The importance of the resurrection is that. . .

Quote:
If the enemy performs a sign and wonder to raise a man from the dead in the name of another religion, do we then leave Christ and follow this other religion because there is resurrection power there?

This is a very vital part of our LORD Jesus Gospel. Without Him raising we would still be dead in our sins.

Let me ask this, did the enemy come down from Heaven and live a perfect life, never breaking Torah, in the flesh, get nailed to a cross for the sins of others, AND rise again?

No, only the Son of GOD was able to do this!

"When He had disarmed the rulers and authorities, He made a public display of them, having triumphed over them through Him."

The Gospel isn't the resurrection only.

2012/5/10 21:32Profile
ET101

Re:

Yes. It was really a lame question on my part.

What I was hoping to bring to the surface is that, as you say, the Gospel isn't the resurrection alone (although without it there is no Gospel).

I guess this is Spurgeon's point - that without the resurrection, there is no Gospel (so he writes that the whole system rests on it). At the same time, the Gospel isn't just the resurrection. . .

Thank you.

2012/5/11 0:57Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy